Toast Best GF ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

And you all know it! 2018

The underdog from interstate , 30 points down in the 1st.........beating the home team on their home deck ......in the dying seconds.

west coast eagles GIF by AFL

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Welcome to the club.

The 1989 GF is somewhat overrated. For the great majority of the game Hawthorn led by between 30 to 50 points and it got close at the end because they were running on fumes due to injury. It of course featured some massive individual performances, not least by G Ablett snr.
Recency bias as usual to the fore. 1964, 1966,1970, 1977, 1979, 1984, 1992, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012 2018 can all make a case to be as good as this year
Hawthorn never led by 50. That game was high energy the whole game.

It isn't really up there for me, wouldn't trouble my top 5, but as a close GF all day rich with highlights and pretty even contributions there was much to be thankful for, had a ball!

To me I'll always remember the pies finals run more than the day itself. They could've easily gone 0-3 against the Demons, Giants and Lions and each game followed a similar script. They just know how to withstand these sides, know how to win, how to strike connections and pierce their way inside 50 for that quick reply. The two Carlton thrillers were great too but a bit more chancey, whereas I felt like the Pies were just that bit more seasoned and came up against three very capable sides and just got it done without undue fuss. It was one of the most impressive finals runs I've ever seen, in terms of oppo on the day, belief, resilience, synergy, and just having that extra tool to extract the victory even when the talented opponent is surging. And the #1 seeding winning a flag in that manner just throws the icing on.

Best GF ever? It was very satisfying but not quite up there for me.
Best flag finals run? I'd say it was up there for me. The were tested in the most profound way and came out titanium. Three capable sides came at them hard, went the full 15 rounds and the Pies won the points decision. To top it off, in club terms, #16, a Moore winning a GF, the Pies actually winning a close GF, putting away some of the pain of 02-03 to the Lions and recently 18. And they were banger games, not too dominant, blocking punches all day, just dominant where it counts, the clutch winning mentality.

the Demons, Giants and Lions are among my second teams, so I was very invested in those matches and generally cheering on the opponent, but at the same time these Pies are unhateable and admirable and tenacious and I felt like I got to see that up close through those twelve quarters when a poor couple minutes could've been curtains for the flag. Even when their opponents had a quarter-long swing of momentum here and there the pies were never terrible or missing, it was always a stern contest. The Pies didn't need to push into an outrageous extra gear monstering clearances and running away, they didn't need to go dour in suffocating an opponent, they play disciplined, fairly man-on-man in feel when you come down to it, nice variety of player types, ready to meet any given gameday.

Last edited:

Best GF's I have seen = 2018, 2009, 2012, 2002, 2023

Ranked it goes something like... 2016, 2018, 2010 drawn, 1992, 2008, 2012, 1992, 1997, 2005, 2006, 1993. Bonus: 1996, centennial GF, and even though I wanted Swans to win...

What determines is spectacle (sunny day, up crowd w/ color contrasts). Or soft spot neutral supporting story. Or cloeness/struggle, see-sawing scoreboard. Or hopefully combination of all 3! p.s I guess I only really rate the AFL era. Also, if I really take the emotion out of it 2012, 2016 and 2005 are the absolute pinnacle GF's we've ever seen.

It was a great GF from a neutral perspective. Up there with 2018 for me as a neutral. 2009 as a contest I think has it and 2018 beat but it's difficult for me to adjudicate on that one as I'm a bit invested in that one.

Stating the bleeding obvious will not detract from the fact that with a minute and twenty seconds to go, the Umpire made an atrocious call that will be long remembered more than anything else from this game. It was a close game for sure and Collingwood probably deserved to win, but it's a game that was chock full of errors, poor kicking, and bad umpiring. Footy fans have the attention span of a gnat and the only people who will remember this game are Pies fans. They don't care about poor kicking or bad umpiring unless it's the 2018 Grand Final!
What about the 50 against markov?

People always remember the final 'incident' and forget the earlier ones. How about when the Brions players ducked and drove his head into Cox. Was that a free? Nope, who knows maybe the Pies goal from that?

Sliding doors, that finals footy. Applying your logic, Pies were robbed in 2018 when Maynard was blocked.

And FYI no one is talking about it, watched a heap of commentary and they are just talking about what a great game it was. Its people like you whose hatred of Collingwood can't let you see a great game.

Pies fans will just savior your misery.

It isn't really up there for me, wouldn't trouble my top 5, but as a close GF all day rich with highlights and pretty even contributions there was much to be thankful for, had a ball!

To me I'll always remember the pies finals run more than the day itself. They could've easily gone 0-3 against the Demons, Giants and Lions and each game followed a similar script. They just know how to withstand these sides, know how to win, how to strike connections and pierce their way inside 50 for that quick reply. The two Carlton thrillers were great too but a bit more chancey, whereas I felt like the Pies were just that bit more seasoned and came up against three very capable sides and just got it done without undue fuss. It was one of the most impressive finals runs I've ever seen, in terms of oppo on the day, belief, resilience, synergy, and just having that extra tool to extract the victory even when the talented opponent is surging. And the #1 seeding winning a flag in that manner just throws the icing on.

Best GF ever? It was very satisfying but not quite up there for me.
Best flag finals run? I'd say it was up there for me. The were tested in the most profound way and came out titanium. Three capable sides came at them hard, went the full 15 rounds and the Pies won the points decision. To top it off, in club terms, #16, a Moore winning a GF, the Pies actually winning a close GF, putting away some of the pain of 02-03 to the Lions and recently 18. And they were banger games, not too dominant, blocking punches all day, just dominant where it counts, the clutch winning mentality.

the Demons, Giants and Lions are among my second teams, so I was very invested in those matches and generally cheering on the opponent, but at the same time these Pies are unhateable and admirable and tenacious and I felt like I got to see that up close through those twelve quarters when a poor couple minutes could've been curtains for the flag. Even when their opponents had a quarter-long swing of momentum here and there the pies were never terrible or missing, it was always a stern contest. The Pies didn't need to push into an outrageous extra gear monstering clearances and running away, they didn't need to go dour in suffocating an opponent, they play disciplined, fairly man-on-man in feel when you come down to it, nice variety of player types, ready to meet any given gameday.
Really? Multiple second teams? You are not a genuine Pies supporter if that is the case!

Ranked it goes something like... 2016, 2018, 2010 drawn, 1992, 2008, 2012, 1992, 1997, 2005, 2006, 1993. Bonus: 1996, centennial GF, and even though I wanted Swans to win...

What determines is spectacle (sunny day, up crowd w/ color contrasts). Or soft spot neutral supporting story. Or cloeness/struggle, see-sawing scoreboard. Or hopefully combination of all 3! p.s I guess I only really rate the AFL era. Also, if I really take the emotion out of it 2012, 2016 and 2005 are the absolute pinnacle GF's we've ever seen.
The fact you can’t even fit 2002 into your top 13 makes your post null and void.

Jesus,do you believe that crap?
There is so much of this hilarious crap on other boards! I love it. The bitterness bites deep. The endless whining when we lost two key players in the lead up, lost another critical defender in the first term, had more scoring shots, hit the post twice and had more inside 50's and less frees truly points to the fact we were gifted the flag by a cheating AFL.

To say that the only way you'd focus on the advantage call being a cloud over the premiership is because you hate the pies and wanted them to lose that badly? Is absolutely ridiculous. Neutrals want a fair game. Especially at the end to be run out on each teams merits and not have momentum crushing decisions be a permanent question mark on the result.

I went into the game believing I was gonna be barracking for the pies (and a close game, secondary/bonus). I love the 2018 and 2023 pies teams. The players and coaches of both those GF collingwood sides. I'm not a hater of them. I'm a lover of amazing games that are won off the back of the footy. Again, not umpiring calls.

The whole analogy of if you focus on the advantage call you must also concede the 2018 premiership was decided by a block against maynard is braindead. That is a grey area 50/50 decision. You could make a case it was a totally 100% intentional block and you could also argue the block was guarding space for that player to mark on the boundary side but then the other player being there was the smarter play.

This advantage decision is not in any way up for debate. Howler of a call. Taking the piss to excuse it.

Really? Multiple second teams? You are not a genuine Pies supporter if that is the case!
What makes you assume I'm a pies supporter? :think: is a neutral saying positive things about the pies automatically assumed to be a pie or something? that's too black and white for me ;)

I have several other clubs (besides my Eagles) I've always been fond of (and never really minded the Pies either, they're about middle table for me, probably the Vic club I most consistently don't mind after the Dees).

Last edited:
What makes you assume I'm a pies supporter? :think: is a neutral saying positive things about the pies automatically assumed to be a pie or something? that's too black and white for me ;)

I have several other clubs (besides my Eagles) I've always been fond of (and never really minded the Pies either, they're about middle table for me, probably the Vic club I most consistently don't mind after the Dees).
Maybe because Bigfooty have removed the showing of team supported on the poster bio

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is definitely in my top 10. The 1977 draw probably the best ( the replay wasn’t bad either). 2009 and 2018 right up there. Agree with others, 1989 good game but over rated. 1972 was a cracker but Carlton always looked the winner. 1971 is underrated.

At the end of the day the history books will show the pies won the flag in 2023.

But deep down you won’t be satisfied or content because you know you didn’t deserve it. A big fat asterisk for those of us who look a little deeper.

And that makes me happy.

Enjoy your night.
This is so good

I think it is definitely in my top 10. The 1977 draw probably the best ( the replay wasn’t bad either). 2009 and 2018 right up there. Agree with others, 1989 good game but over rated. 1972 was a cracker but Carlton always looked the winner. 1971 is underrated.
I watched the 77 drawn GF on Friday night on the footy marathon. Moore at one end and Baker at the other with goals galore, cracking game.

It was close but it didn't really fell like it had that many memorable moments.
I think it’s the complete opposite? We had a goal of the year contender by Bailey, Brodie Miochecks goal from the boundary was the most perfectly hit football that had an incredible trajectory splitting the middle of the goalposts. McCarthys goal from the boundary too was good. Jordan de goeys goal was great with 5 mins to go, Sidebottom kick is extremely difficult to score right at the end of the game, where fatigue plays a huge factor. Bobby hills mark in the sunniest part of the ground is an extremely difficult mark. Two goals after the siren, the level of skill and composure in that first half in a grand final is the most skilled level of footy in a finals.
There were lots of lead changes between the two clubs, there was rubbish and terrible umpiring decisions. How is their not many memorable memories? This is a pretty bad take and I don’t even support either of the two teams.

The 1991 grand final between Hawthorn and West Coast was a great game up until 3 quarter time.

Those Hawthorn and West Coast teams were better than their 2012 and 2005 Grand final counterparts imo. You had the team of the 80s against what would become the team of the 90s. A tough, uncompromising match, when men were men and proudly sporting mullets.

Those were the days...

I think it’s the complete opposite? We had a goal of the year contender by Bailey, Brodie Miochecks goal from the boundary was the most perfectly hit football that had an incredible trajectory splitting the middle of the goalposts. McCarthys goal from the boundary too was good. Jordan de goeys goal was great with 5 mins to go, Sidebottom kick is extremely difficult to score right at the end of the game, where fatigue plays a huge factor. Bobby hills mark in the sunniest part of the ground is an extremely difficult mark. Two goals after the siren, the level of skill and composure in that first half in a grand final is the most skilled level of footy in a finals.
There were lots of lead changes between the two clubs, there was rubbish and terrible umpiring decisions. How is their not many memorable memories? This is a pretty bad take and I don’t even support either of the two teams.

Bailey's second goal in particular!

Not sure if anybody has ever tried their hand at a 'greatest Grand Final goals of all time' list, but it would have to be right up there.

Amazing game though. It would have been near perfect if not for the umpiring.

They wanted to get involved early and it showed. It was complete opposite to the umpiring in the last quarter last week.
Even the first bounce to start the game was s**t.

The last call didn’t decide the game - Collingwood were the better team all day, but the umpires took away what would have been one of the all time greats.

You shouldn’t notice them, and I did a lot yesterday.
It ruined the overall experience unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back