Toast Best GF ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's my ranking.

I can't rate 89. It's a great game but I've only ever seen it on replay. Rekon you have to watch them live to appreciate it.
Agree.
Watching the game in context in it's time is essential if you are going to rate against others.

1989 was one of the best I have ever seen, brutal physically, peppered with individual brilliance and courage but mainly because of the amazing commitment the Hawks players exuded refusing to be beaten. I attended the 1977 draw and the 2010 draw and both were
great games, but not the best ever, nor the replays. The 2010 replay was fantastic for Pies supporters but I doubt neutrals would rate it too highly.

Yesterdays game was up there but there will never ever be a grand final again where a side can physically impose themselves on a game, it will always now come down to who can best capitalise on waves of dominance of possession and field position and absorb the others sides periods of dominance.

Whether those games will be aesthetically pleasing is up for debate.

That said yesterdays game was outstanding from a Pies supporters POV.
Only a neutral can really say how good it was in the vast scheme of GF minutia.

What about the 50 against markov?

People always remember the final 'incident' and forget the earlier ones. How about when the Brions players ducked and drove his head into Cox. Was that a free? Nope, who knows maybe the Pies goal from that?

Sliding doors, that finals footy. Applying your logic, Pies were robbed in 2018 when Maynard was blocked.

And FYI no one is talking about it, watched a heap of commentary and they are just talking about what a great game it was. Its people like you whose hatred of Collingwood can't let you see a great game.

Pies fans will just savior your misery.

bang spot on post.

*ing whingers... just see what they want to see

wont mention the worst free of the day Hipwoods too high at the start or the Markov 50 or the fact Brisbane got 5 more frees on the day. They will just twist it to feed their *ing stupid victorian bias narrative and how the interstate team was robbed. Again, the only time it has been justified was 2016 GF.

Yeah I don’t get how it was tense for some.

The AFL chose their winner weeks ago. Knowing that the result was predetermined and fixed made it less tense. I just feel for the Brisbane supporters who never realistically had a chance despite being so close.

The terrible advantage decision decided the premiership. Unfortunately that won’t be reflected in the history books but we all know it.
carlol4.png

What the hell did Markov do to warrant that fifty metre penalty which completely handed Brisbane the momentum of the game?
He literally kept jogging back and the umpire blew the whistle.

The umpires today, they have hit an all time low.

The umpire called stand.

And guess what?

The player didnt hear him due to 100'000 screaming fans.

It was a bad call from the umpires and one they need to simply forget about in finals. Just imagine in the final seconds a player doesnt hear 'STAND' and a 50m pentaly decided the GF.

Its another impractical rule the AFL will be embarrassed by at some point and will cost a team their season.

bang spot on post.

*ing whingers... just see what they want to see

wont mention the worst free of the day Hipwoods too high at the start or the Markov 50 or the fact Brisbane got 5 more frees on the day. They will just twist it to feed their *ing stupid victorian bias narrative and how the interstate team was robbed. Again, the only time it has been justified was 2016 GF.

1st quarter. Cox caught and threw the ball one handed . 20 m from goal, almost in front.

One umpire caught blindsided, none of the other 3 called it.

Would have been an easy 6 points.

You miss tnat one.

I went to 1989, all over at qtr time.
Must say I think 89 is overrated. I remember watching at the time and you never thought Geelong were a realistic chance to win until about 5 mins to go in the last.
It was the most brutal no doubt but I think the game itself wasn’t as good. I’d have it about 7th behind, 2018, 2012, 2023, 2009, 2010(draw) and 2005.

Of course all pale in significance to the big 3. 2017, 19, 20.

Last edited:
1st quarter. Cox caught and threw the ball one handed . 20 m from goal, almost in front.

One umpire caught blindsided, none of the other 3 called it.

Would have been an easy 6 points.

You miss tnat one.
A bit like McLuggage being tackled in the centre of the ground, (no blindsiding there surely?) and drops it cold?

A bit like McLuggage being tackled in the centre of the ground, (no blindsiding there surely?) and drops it cold?

Was that 20 m out directly in front of goal and a clearly incorrect disposal?

No.

So it wasn't 'a bit like it' at all.

There are dozens of 50 - 50 calls made by umpires every game.

The Cox tackle and throwing the ball. Free kick every day of the week IF the umpires see it. On this occasion the umpire closest was blindsided on the other side of the pack.

Unfortunately none of the other umpires saw it or called it

Luck of the draw.

You give Carlton posters a bad name...
I thought it was a p*** take by him, until I saw your post. Is he generally unhinged like this all the time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back