Best Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

Port have had a few

Peter and Shaun Burgoyne
Arguably the most talented brothers (combined) in the last 20 years I would have thought, particularly Shaun. Joel Selwood a great player but none of his brothers were near the same level, same for Gary Ablett Junior (Nathan never really got going). Cornes brothers were good but the Burgoynes have them for talent/influence IMO.

Arguably the most talented brothers (combined) in the last 20 years I would have thought, particularly Shaun. Joel Selwood a great player but none of his brothers were near the same level, same for Gary Ablett Junior (Nathan never really got going). Cornes brothers were good but the Burgoynes have them for talent/influence IMO.
I love the Burgoyne brothers and Shaun had incredible longevity, but 4x AA and 4x B&F between the Cornes brothers vs 1x AA between the Burgoyne brothers... I'm giving it to the Cornes.

I think people's opinions of them off the field lead them to forget just how damn good they were on the field. And that includes Port fans. Chad the more talented and greater peak, but Kane's consistency and workrate was outstanding.

Kelvin and Leigh Mathews,
leigh Mathews 330 games 900 goals, kelvin 150 and 160.
had fairly good careers

In this game in 1977 vs Fitzroy Kelvin kicked 8 and Leigh kicked 6.

Mathews family 14.4.88 defeated Fitzroy 12.14.86

If we were picking sides and were told brothers need to be picked in pairs then I would immediately pax Leigh and Kelvin before even looking at the list. Not so much for Kelvin… still had picked the brothers even if Kelvin only played VAFA….

I love the Burgoyne brothers and Shaun had incredible longevity, but 4x AA and 4x B&F between the Cornes brothers vs 1x AA between the Burgoyne brothers... I'm giving it to the Cornes.

I think people's opinions of them off the field lead them to forget just how damn good they were on the field. And that includes Port fans. Chad the more talented and greater peak, but Kane's consistency and workrate was outstanding.
Yeah the Cornes brothers every day for me over the Burgoynes. Those who watched that Port team in its prime would probably say Kane was the weaker link, but his list of personal accolades is incredible. And with Chad, while he probably didn't end up with the list of individual achievements that might be expected, my recollection is that there was a period where he was a fashionable pick as the best player in the league, similar to Brendon Goddard around 2009-10.

By contrast, the Burgoynes rarely featured strongly in AA consideration and Port/Hawthorn B&F counts, especially in strong years for those teams. Shaun has the longevity and the premiership medals, but even in his prime, when compiling annual 'top 50' player lists, he'd maybe be considered for a spot in the 30s or 40s at absolute best. There was a time when you'd have no problem putting Chad Cornes in the top 5, maybe even #1.

I think the Jarmans are victims of their era, that a lot of fans wouldn't consider their SANFL careers during the final years of the VFL and before the Crows started.

Nah they are actually brothers, the age difference is confusing but their parents had Jarrod when they were really young and Taj quite later on in life
Similar to the Everitt brothers.

Peter was born in 1974 and played from 1993 - 2008.

Andrejs was born in 1989 and played from 2007 - 2016.

Port have had a few

Chad and Kane Cornes
Peter and Shaun Burgoyne
Justin and Matthew Westhoff
Robbie and Sam Gray
Adam Thomson and Wade Thompson
Jarrod and Taj Schofield
Todd and Kyle Marshall
David and Marita Koch.

Jarman brothers were very good.
Jimmy and Phil are talked about like no other.

Levi and Will Ashcroft for the future also the King brothers could push for the title by career end.

Matera brothers had a huge impact as well.
Others have better records but i reckon those two changed the game.

Others have better records but i reckon those two changed the game.
Pretty amazing records as well counting wafl and afl managing premierships leading goal kicking at north averaging close on the miraculous 20 and 2 multiple years was Jimmy. Phil coming very close as well. Claremont years they were averaging 2.5 goals a game and probably getting 20-30 most weeks as well. People of that era talk about them like they talk about Lillie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brent and Shane Harvey. Lots of games, B&Fs and AAs between them

Pretty amazing records as well counting wafl and afl managing premierships leading goal kicking at north averaging close on the miraculous 20 and 2 multiple years was Jimmy. Phil coming very close as well. Claremont years they were averaging 2.5 goals a game and probably getting 20-30 most weeks as well. People of that era talk about them like they talk about Lillie.
The only Night Series game I went to was because of them. At VFL Park I think.

My dad’s work associate came over from Perth and begged us to go and see Claremont and these two amazing brothers.

I can’t remember who the opponent was (probably easy to look up), but I remember we were amazed by their skills despite our friend saying they played average that night. Also the Tigers lost quite easily.

Oh what might have been

20210506124104a_1024x576.jpg

The universe had to make them both talented to make up for those faces.

The way they looked for space with the ball and when they didn't have it changed the game imo. It influenced the idea of Pagan's Paddock and all the flooding etc that developed to counter that. Everyone does that now - look to move into or block up space.

Obviously forwards always led into space but at their best they used space and quick movement to really open up games.

AA means jack s**t.

Only just remembered Burgoyne's now. Brilliant.

Silk. Absolute star. Love that 2013 prelim goal against the Catters.

Crouch's.

And one's I forgot from the 90's were the Bond's. Good players. Troy and Shane.

Shane was at WCE then went to Port? I know Troy was at Carlton then went to Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back