Strategy Best Performances as Sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
We've had substitutes in the AFL for over a decade now, and it just struck me that I can't remember a single memorable performance a player has put on as sub. You'd think by now that someone would have come on and kicked a few goals to turn a match, for example, but I don't ever remember that happening.

So have there ever been any memorable subs? Has a sub ever received any Brownlow votes, or MVP votes of any kind? Why is it that these players who should have much fresher legs than everyone else never seem to make much of an impact?

There’s probably been better performances as a sub Luke Breust in his first year had a great game against Freo.

Came on in the third. Kicked 3 goals in the space of just over 10 minutes of game time over the third and fourth quarters to bring us from 25 points down to within 7 when he kicked his third, then we proceed to run over the top of them and win by 22 points. Also had a goal assist from 38% game time.

We've had substitutes in the AFL for over a decade now, and it just struck me that I can't remember a single memorable performance a player has put on as sub. You'd think by now that someone would have come on and kicked a few goals to turn a match, for example, but I don't ever remember that happening.

So have there ever been any memorable subs? Has a sub ever received any Brownlow votes, or MVP votes of any kind? Why is it that these players who should have much fresher legs than everyone else never seem to make much of an impact?

Mitch Duncan, 2011 Grand Final

I don't get why they brought it back.
take it away or give an extra person on the bench.

Four players have polled Brownlow votes in games where they were subbed on:
  • Brock McLean, R15 2012, two votes (subbed on in Q1, 69% TOG)
  • Ollie Wines, R14 2013, one vote (subbed on in Q2, 55% TOG)
  • Ben Howlett, R1 2015, three votes (subbed on in Q1, 82% TOG)
  • Oliver Henry, R10 2022, one vote (subbed on in Q2, 62% TOG)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back