Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren’t they the initial votes?

Edit I’ve changed mine from leaning to sack. I Hvent rated him but was prepared to give him the year but he’s clearly a dud and needs to * off before he *s up the development of more of our players.

Plus I can’t stand looking at his smug face and listening to him
More than likely, I’m just surprised more haven’t changed their vote which can only mean they still love his coaching or don’t realise they can change.
I’m the same as you, changed it after the first round.

More than likely, I’m just surprised more haven’t changed their vote which can only mean they still love his coaching or don’t realise they can change.
I’m the same as you, changed it after the first round.
Or can’t be arsed.

Not sure how much weight this poll has on the clubs decision.

Be honest, was anyone here genuinely stoked we hired Nicks on day one?
I recall watching a conversation with Nicks when Ken gave him the keys in a pre-season game and I thought he spoke well - I may have mentioned it here

Im not sure stoked is the word I would have used at the time of his appointment but the manner of his hire - bbq at Roos place - concerned me

I was cautiously hopeful - I knew we had a hole to get out of - I didnt realise Nicks would keep digging a deeper one

Aside from the Happy Clappers we all knew why kind of appointment it was. Plus we had every good candidate rule themselves out before we even got started. Plus the focus was on culture so how much did we interview him around his actual football and tactical coaching ability.

The fact that he spent the entire off season changing the focus from fast attack that we had last year to slow chip that would supposedly improve defence tells me all i need to know. Completely unable to read the game, and unable to recognise mistakes. Team was set up to fail this year with appalling planning, with a smaller dose of just expecting to win and not making sure we put in the work to make it happen

The fact that he spent the entire off season changing the focus from fast attack that we had last year to slow chip that would supposedly improve defence tells me all i need to know. Completely unable to read the game, and unable to recognise mistakes. Team was set up to fail this year with appalling planning, with a smaller dose of just expecting to win and not making sure we put in the work to make it happen

Yep, I think like many supporters the club thought all they needed was a couple of extra goals in close games and we would play finals.

It doesn't work like that, other sides improve and do their homework. You have to be good enough to get yourselves in those positions again. Tex was unlikely to have the same season in 2024.

It's why the biggest test for a coach is to get their team from just outside the top 8 into the top 8. It's where most coaches come unstuck.

That's why the extension wasn't needed.

Last edited:
Since Adelaide joined the AFL in 1991 there are only three teams to have NEVER had a sustained period of top 4 finishes. By that I mean finishing top 4 at least 3 times in 4 consecutive years.

Gold Coast
GWS
Adelaide

We are not a well run club and you could argue we never have been
Look, there's plenty to get annoyed about with the club atm, but that is as random a stat as you could pull out to mount an argument we have NEVER been run well. We have also finished top of the ladder twice, something not every club achieves. Also a consistent finals team until 2017.

Are Port a well run club because they've achieved this random feat, but then fail in finals? Are Carlton well run, despite a heap of wooden spoons and being terrible for 20 years? What about North, the worst team of the modern era?

Yep, I think like many supporters the club thought all they needed was a couple of extra goals in close games and we would play finals.

It doesn't work like that, other sides improve and do their homework. You have to be good enough to get yourselves in those positions again. Tex was unlikely to have the same season in 2024.

It's why the biggest test for a coach is to get their team from just outside the top 8 into the top 8. It's where most coaches come unstuck.

That's why the extension was needed.
The extension was needed? What?

Given he’s clearly come unstuck isn’t he failing the test so why should he be our on-going coach?

It doesn't work like that, other sides improve and do their homework.
... other sides (with better Coaches than ours) improve after doing their homework.

My guess is that Burns (an ex-defender) wanted to stamp his mark on our forward set-up without realising that not much needed to change --- better delivery to them (liaise with VB on that, but good luck) and better goalkicking accuracy.
Burns has tried to fix what wasn't broken.
Add to that Nicks' bewildering selections and preference for underperforming seniors and we've regressed.
Really, really badly.

The Titanic-like sinking of our forward output from best to worst is catastrophic.
Burns and Nicks are to blame.
Get rid of them, asap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, we were one Essendon cluster* away from doing that in 2005-08 (granted, we may not have deserved it). The fact we've never had two consecutive top 4 finishes outside of that is astounding though.
We have finished top 4 two years in a row though (05/06), not sure why the metric is 3 in 4 years. Also finished with enough wins in 2016 to finish top 4 most other seasons (so could have been 16/17 too). Finished 5th a few times too. I want Nicks gone, but this was a very random stat to pull out.

Look, there's plenty to get annoyed about with the club atm, but that is as random a stat as you could pull out to mount an argument we have NEVER been run well. We have also finished top of the ladder twice, something not every club achieves. Also a consistent finals team until 2017.

Are Port a well run club because they've achieved this random feat, but then fail in finals? Are Carlton well run, despite a heap of wooden spoons and being terrible for 20 years? What about North, the worst team of the modern era?

Interesting you bring up North Melbourne. They've finished top 4 seven times since we entered the competition, won two flags, made three grand finals, and played in 16 finals series. They've won two spoons

We've finished top 4 six times, won two flags, made three grand finals, and played in 15 finals series. We've won 1 spoon.

So we are around the mark of (in your words) the worst team of the modern era across our existence

Port Adelaide have finished 1st three times in a row, made top 4 eight times, won a flag, played in two grand finals, and played in 13 finals series. If they had two flags to their name instead of one, they'd be clearly ahead of us

Carlton have been disgustingly bad and even they've made top 4 on four occasions, won a flag, played in three grand finals, and played in 12 finals series. They have won five spoons.

We have finished top 4 two years in a row though (05/06), not sure why the metric is 3 in 4 years. Also finished with enough wins in 2016 to finish top 4 most other seasons (so could have been 16/17 too). Finished 5th a few times too. I want Nicks gone, but this was a very random stat to pull out.

Because sustained periods of contention is a reliable indicator for winning flags.

Since we have entered the competition only five teams have won flags without sustained periods in the top 4 (three in four years minimum)

West Coast in 2018
Western Bulldogs in 2016
Hawthorn in 2008
Adelaide in 1997 and 1998
Essendon in 1993

So just six out of 33 flags have been won without sustained top 4 appearances (Collingwood will be the 7th if they fail to make top 4 in the next two years)

There's also been just seven occasions where a team has had sustained top 4 appearances and not won a flag. Only twice did they not make at least the grand final in that period

Brisbane (ongoing) (made the grand final)
Port Adelaide (ongoing)
Fremantle 2013 to 2015 (made the grand final)
St Kilda 2008 to 2010 (made two grand finals)
Western Bulldogs 2008 to 2010 and 1997 to 1999
Geelong 1989 to 1997 (though they did make four grand finals)

Last edited:
Its always a very wishy washy answer like "no doubt, we'll go to work as coaches and have a look at a few things we're doing..."
More like:
"we'll go to work as coaches and have a look at a few things the players are doing wrong ...".

Expecting Nicks and the Assistants to be accountable is a forlorn hope. Won't happen.

Interesting you bring up North Melbourne. They've finished top 4 seven times since we entered the competition, won two flags, made three grand finals, and played in 16 finals series. They've won two spoons

We've finished top 4 six times, won two flags, made three grand finals, and played in 15 finals series. We've won 1 spoon.

So we are around the mark of (in your words) the worst team of the modern era across our existence

Port Adelaide have finished 1st three times in a row, made top 4 eight times, won a flag, played in two grand finals, and played in 13 finals series. If they had two flags to their name instead of one, they'd be clearly ahead of us

Carlton have been disgustingly bad and even they've made top 4 on four occasions, won a flag, played in three grand finals, and played in 12 finals series. They have won five spoons.
The Crows have finished top 4 on six occasions (5th on multiple occasions too after being top 4 heading into the final round), made finals on 15 occasions, played in three grand finals and won two flags.

North are overall not too bad and similar overall to us, but I am talking about the now. They have won 10 of their last 90 games (1 of last 27) and are about to statistically go down as the WORST club over a 100 game stretch in AFL history. We have been low, but North's situation is as low as it can possibly get for a club. What has their record in the 90s got to do with how bad they are over the last 6 years?

Also, Port's record isn't significantly better than Adelaide's, it is basically on par. They also don't have two flags, so that is a pointless argument.

Because sustained periods of contention is a reliable indicator for winning flags.

Since we have entered the competition only four teams have won flags without sustained periods in the top 4 (three in four years minimum)

West Coast in 2018
Western Bulldogs in 2016
Adelaide in 1997 and 1998
Essendon in 1993

So just five out of 33 flags have been won without sustained top 4 appearances (Collingwood will be the 6th if they fail to make top 4 in the next two years)
Well it aint that reliable given that there are clubs that have achieved this random stat of 3 top 4 finishes across 4 years who have either never won a flag (Freo) or have less flags than the Crows.

Honestly?
I thought he was a Roo clone (noggin/ voice) and, gee, he seems like such a nice bloke.

Another nice bloke :expressionless: :grimacing: .

We needed a tough nut, but we employed Nicks.
I was hopeful, adopted wait-and-see approach, lost a bet to jenny61_99 that he'd be sacked by mid-last year.

Deffo want him gone now, asap.

Where was that? I don't have a problem with some man conversations behind closed doors about some of his actions on the field, that's actually good coaching.

But it shouldn't go public.

Channel 9 and no it shouldn't.

Back