Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

‘Aggressive’ trade period looms for Adelaide Crows says CEO Tim Silvers

Paywalled but this is the quote:

“No, he is our guy,” Silvers said.

“We need to support him, we need to turn our form around. But form is temporary. We have had a bad month, but the form we showed last weekend, we are confident that is more us.

“I am confident as well as the club and our board that he is going to be our next premiership coach.”
Replace the word "confident" with "hopeful" and you've got the true situation. There is absolutely no basis on which any observer could form a reasonable conclusion that Nicks is going to be our next premiership coach.

If you didn’t have enough positive data to extend him over the preseason, on what basis can our round 1 loss have gotten the decision across the line?
The decision wasn't based on data, it was based on assumptions. Management just assumed we would continue on our upward trajectory of the past few year and extended based on that rather than wait for the data ie actual results to validate (or invalidate) that assumption.

Since 2017

2017 15-6-1 1st
2018 12-10 12th
2019 10-12 11th
Nicks
2020 3-14 18th
2021 7-15 15th
2022 8-14 14th
2023 11-12 10th
2024 1-5 15th, sitting 18th for points for after 6 games.

What a time to be alive.

Rank incompetence, not just the finishing positions.
Drafting/talent ID, development, getting games into kids, game day coaching, game plan, all woefully inadequate.

I've always laughed at the overreacting membership microwavers.
While I wont go that extreme, we wont be renewing next year.
We've constantly gone every second week through good times and now the really bad.
I'll always be a Crows supporter.
I will no longer support them financially or invest my time travelling to and from games and sit through this game style from this coaching group.

Last edited:

Since 2017

2017 15-6-1 1st
2018 12-10 12th
2019 10-12 11th
Nicks
2020 3-14 18th
2021 7-15 15th
2022 8-14 14th
2023 11-12 10th

What a time to be alive.

Drafting/talent ID, development, getting games into kids, game day coaching, game plan, all woefully inadequate.

We've constantly gone every second week through good times and now the really bad.
I will no longer support them financially or invest my time travelling to and from games and sit through this game style from this coaching group.
Yep, he sucks. He is not up to it.

Horrific selections, terrible game plan, deplorable skills which are getting worse and the absolute lack of player development. But hey that's not the coaches fault. We have to back the boys in.

Don't we only have to pay out 6 months if we sack him anyway? I long for the moment when we will be run like a professional club.

It’s quite simple. The board.

And the pressure on the board comes from….nowhere.
No pressure from the AFL owners as our board roll-over & have their tummy rubbed after overtime are screwed over.

Us Crows members are the suckers...

Wouldn't be surprised if there were also some AFL "incentives" involved.

Having long term uncompetitive clubs isn’t good for the comp, so AFL absolutely should assist those clubs. And they should leave the high end part of the draft alone. And they should be forced to trade any picks gifted for players. Short term increases in soft cap limit should be the primary benefit. Where AFL goes wrong is they do it under the cloak of darkness.

If you didn’t have enough positive data to extend him over the preseason, on what basis can our round 1 loss have gotten the decision across the line?
They probably blamed the loss on the uncertainty

Sando wasn't under any pressure early on in 2014 given the extension, but as the losses piled up the narrative in the media started to shift quickly by mid season. Still think that is how this plays out, unless by some miracle we win our next 4 and have started playing guys like Dowling and Curtin.

As at R20 in 2014, we were sitting in the 8 (10-9) then shat the bed at home against Richmond followed by losing to North in Tasmania (this result was expected) before winning the last game against Saints at home.

We started the season with 3 losses but got back on track winning 10 of 16 games.

The fact we missed finals in the last 3 weeks of the season cost him his job.

I just don’t get it why we extended Nicks contract before finding out how the season panned out. No-one was pinching him.

You should read the comments underneath the article - nearly every comment reeking with cynicism. Who can blame us!! They were "hitting the trade period hard" last year - how well did that go!

What is the point of “hitting the trade period hard” if you don’t bother to play them?

Since 2017

2017 15-6-1 1st
2018 12-10 12th
2019 10-12 11th
Nicks
2020 3-14 18th
2021 7-15 15th
2022 8-14 14th
2023 11-12 10th

What a time to be alive.

Take the positive - we are the 7th best defence tho. 🤪🤪🤪

Actually that is quite achievement going from the best attacking side to the worst in the space of 6 games. Kudos to the coaching staff.

Last edited:
You should read the comments underneath the article - nearly every comment reeking with cynicism. Who can blame us!! They were "hitting the trade period hard" last year - how well did that go!
You don't understand, this time they're gonna target players who might actually not have a contract with a team!

Take the positive - we are the 7th best defence tho. 🤪🤪🤪

Actually that is quite achievement going from the best attacking side to the worst in the space of 6 games. Kudos to the coaching staff.
Our opposition has kicked so far

We're 7th best through pure luck rather than skill at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As at R20 in 2014, we were sitting in the 8 (10-9) then shat the bed at home against Richmond followed by losing to North in Tasmania (this result was expected) before winning the last game against Saints at home.

We started the season with 3 losses but got back on track winning 10 of 16 games.

The fact we missed finals in the last 3 weeks of the season cost him his job.

I just don’t get it why we extended Nicks contract before finding out how the season panned out. No-one was pinching him.
Yep, Sando was sacked for a far superior record to Nicks. I have zero doubt Nicks will follow the same path as Sando unless something changes dramatically with our form and selections.

Our opposition has kicked so far

We're 7th best through pure luck rather than skill at this point.
Inaccuracy can come from good defensive structures though as they’re taking more shots under pressure and from harder positions. I do think we are clearly better in that aspect. However, to have it come at the expense of our scoring is a complete and utter heck up by our coaches.

Inaccuracy can come from good defensive structures though as they’re taking more shots under pressure and from harder positions. I do think we are clearly better in that aspect. However, to have it come at the expense of our scoring is a complete and utter * up by our coaches.
You got stats to back that up?

What about the number of shots they are having?

Smart play Adelaide. Let some failed coaches get into the head of one of your better prospects and spread their loser plague.
Re Rachele, my two bob's worth is that he's a young, ego-driven confidence player.
At the moment he probably thinks he's better than he is, but he's also quite possibly capable of being better than he is.
As long as he doesn't get the enthusiasm and confidence knocked out of him by a panicking coaching team who think they are coaching for their survival.
He could become a player who fails to thrive with us but becomes a gun somewhere else.
A reverse Dawson, if you like.....

Back