Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why it's unbelievable he continually takes the ball out the air at ruck contests in throw ins. He is so slow to dispose of the ball he always gets caught with it.

You could argue it's a viable strategy if you had a ruckman with quick hands to fire off a handball, but ROB is so slow to dispose of it I just don't understand why he hasn't been told to quit doing it.
They havent told him to stop doing it because the alternative is to have him tap the footy…

And when ge does that.. 9 times out of 10 it goes to the opposition mids..

cant tap ruck, cant kick, cant mark.. is a clumbsy moron.. and he consistently runs himself and his team mates into trouble..

And yet the club thinks hes a fxxkn gun player.

Burgess market value may be higher than Nicks. But the question would then be why employ a coach with such low market value.

Let’s not forget the number of posters that believed Burgess was going to solve all our fitness and selecting injured senior player issues.
I don't really care how fit the players are if they're just going to serve up the sh*t they've been serving up even when fit. I'd rather play 2-3 quarters of good footy then tire and get overrun and lose every week. At least we might get to enjoy an hour or so of footy rather than just play 3-4 quarters of dogsh*t and lose like we're currently doing.

Nicks was a long time assistant of no note to Ken.

Then he had 1, single year at GWS where his great claim to fame was his ability to hug young fellas

He wasn’t exactly top shelf stuff

“And this is my office, where you can come in and talk about life and stuff”. God, talk about a cringe try hard.

I wonder if he could be lured back to Adelaide if given a senior coaching role (no idea if he has this ambition though)? I know he moved home for family reasons, but the senior coaching role is a big carrot.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 he ain't coming back to this shitshow.

They havent told him to stop doing it because the alternative is to have him tap the footy…

And when ge does that.. 9 times out of 10 it goes to the opposition mids..

cant tap ruck, cant kick, cant mark.. is a clumbsy moron.. and he consistently runs himself and his team mates into trouble..

And yet the club thinks hes a fxxkn gun player.
He’s unco

Would not be surprised if Nicks actually got a pay rise this year, when the extension was signed in the off season.

This wouldn’t surprise me at all. Could see them thinking it would be a huge good news story after weeks of good performances and questioning of “why not yet?”, “when?”. Half a season in, “huge news everyone, we’ve secured our beloved Nicksy”. Add in a couple of short people appearing from wheelie bins to round out the presentation.

So..

Whats this unflushable turds’ current win loss record?..

Surely it has to be the worst of any crows coach?..

No crows coach has ever survived missing the finals 2 years in a row..

This fxxkhead is gunning for 5 seasons in a row..
Do you really have to call him a **** head ? I agree he’s a shit coach but he seems like a decent bloke.

There is no saving face for that extension. It's not the extension even so much as it is the timing of it after round 1, and bad loss in round 1 at that. The fact that they made that call without waiting to collect any actual data as to how the team would perform this year is the issue. It is utterly inept management.

The question is "why didn't you wait until round 10 or so before making a call"? If we get there and we're 1-9 then surely you sack him. Or you at least have the data set and if you choose to extend his contract when we're 1-9 you can at least stand up and explain what the basis for that decision is in the face of the actual results.

If you didn’t have enough positive data to extend him over the preseason, on what basis can our round 1 loss have gotten the decision across the line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“And this is my office, where you can come in and talk about life and stuff”. God, talk about a cringe try hard.
That is who we needed in the last few years.
To Nicks credit he has helped to rebuild a toxic player group.

He fixed that.

My view was we needed to hold off on resigning him this year till we make Finals. Or at least show he has the coaching nous to take the next step.

He doesn't have it.

And he will be coaching untill 2026. Or he decides to walk away.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing I like about Buckley as an option is that he would come to the club with a bit of cachet already, even if that is largely from his playing career.

He wouldn't come in grateful for the opportunity, happy to go along with whatever so that he gets the chance.

He'd be in a better position to make demands of what he needs to shape the club around his vision, and he'd have a reputation and prior relationships which could help in accessing assistant coaches we wouldn't otherwise get.

Back