Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he ? ......most supporters only look at the stats numbers, not a player's defensive actions .....most draftee's have to learn how to defend, how to switch from an offensive to defensive mindset in seconds

The AFL game is as much about DEF as anything ......PORT have some of the most elite Mids in the game .....but today, and in last years Finals, showed an inability to defend .....Rozee, was consigned to the HFF as Capt ...embarrassing

The young players showed last night, they could not execute skills under pressure .....pressure that is 10 fold more than the SANFL .....game plans trained by AFL clubs to create turnovers, the biggest scoring method these days

I'm a huge Nankervis fan ....but he and Cook were horrid with their skills .....and Gollant i'll be surprised if he gets another Contract, he's simply treading water now

you are beyond help

That is just your angry state of mind I think. Decent list, large supporter base and good finances off field. If North can attract Clarko, we can attract a decent coach.

They got him by offering 5 years @ $1,000,000. We’d probably get someone if we did that but that’s the last thing we should be doing.

They got him by offering 5 years @ $1,000,000. We’d probably get someone if we did that but that’s the last thing we should be doing.
Wouldn't be surprised if there were also some AFL "incentives" involved.

There is no saving face for that extension. It's not the extension even so much as it is the timing of it after round 1, and bad loss in round 1 at that. The fact that they made that call without waiting to collect any actual data as to how the team would perform this year is the issue. It is utterly inept management.

The question is "why didn't you wait until round 10 or so before making a call"? If we get there and we're 1-9 then surely you sack him. Or you at least have the data set and if you choose to extend his contract when we're 1-9 you can at least stand up and explain what the basis for that decision is in the face of the actual results.
Good points. Either extend his contract at the end of last season so there is stability over preseason or wait until mid season this year.

I wish people would add a source or a reference for where they hear this stuff when posting.

Is this just your own interpretation of some mumbling or an actual statement / quote?

‘Aggressive’ trade period looms for Adelaide Crows says CEO Tim Silvers

Paywalled but this is the quote:

“No, he is our guy,” Silvers said.

“We need to support him, we need to turn our form around. But form is temporary. We have had a bad month, but the form we showed last weekend, we are confident that is more us.

“I am confident as well as the club and our board that he is going to be our next premiership coach.”

“We need to support him, we need to turn our form around. But form is temporary. We have had a bad month, but the form we showed last weekend, we are confident that is more us.

“I am confident as well as the club and our board that he is going to be our next premiership coach.”

We’ve got to make finals first and I don’t see this happening for a while

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should read the comments underneath the article - nearly every comment reeking with cynicism. Who can blame us!! They were "hitting the trade period hard" last year - how well did that go!

There is no saving face for that extension. It's not the extension even so much as it is the timing of it after round 1, and bad loss in round 1 at that. The fact that they made that call without waiting to collect any actual data as to how the team would perform this year is the issue. It is utterly inept management.

The question is "why didn't you wait until round 10 or so before making a call"? If we get there and we're 1-9 then surely you sack him. Or you at least have the data set and if you choose to extend his contract when we're 1-9 you can at least stand up and explain what the basis for that decision is in the face of the actual results.
I agree, but that is how they will spin not making Finals.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You should read the comments underneath the article - nearly every comment reeking with cynicism. Who can blame us!! They were "hitting the trade period hard" last year - how well did that go!

The thing is — and I’ve said this many times before but who’s counting — they don’t care.

It’s not that they hear you and disagree with you.

It’s that you don’t exist.

Club members really need to get this through their heads.

The club is not giving a single second’s consideration to what you think or what you want, or how angry or disappointed you are.

You do not exist, even as an afterthought, in their considerations.

Pay your money, and shut up.

The thing is — and I’ve said this many times before but who’s counting — they don’t care.

The club is not giving a single second’s consideration to what you think or what you want, or how angry or disappointed you are.

Bang on. Members have no power so why would they take any notice.

Pay your money, and shut up.
A longer quote from the Australian - from the first sentence it seems quite clear that supporters' opinions do not count towards 'pressure' - I wonder what/whose opinions do? The AFC football department? The media? The players?

Silvers said coach Nicks was not under any pressure for his job despite the early-season struggles.

A longer quote from the Australian - from the first sentence it seems quite clear that supporters' opinions do not count towards 'pressure' - I wonder what/whose opinions do? The AFC football department? The media? The players?

Silvers said coach Nicks was not under any pressure for his job despite the early-season struggles.

The board and senior management signed off on the premature contract extension. Therefore they can't put any pressure on Nicks' job without putting similar pressure on their own, and they're not going to do that.

The board and senior management signed off on the premature contract extension. Therefore they can't put any pressure on Nicks' job without putting similar pressure on their own, and they're not going to do that.

Actually, they can, and have.

They paid out both Sanderson and Pyke after failed contract extensions.

And not one board member faced any consequences.

Not a single one of those parasites felt the need to say “We got this wrong, we should step aside now.”

There was some speculation on here earlier that Burgess is paid more than Nicks

Personally I think it's outrageous to use more of the limited football department cap on the fitness manager than the head coach

Burgess market value may be higher than Nicks. But the question would then be why employ a coach with such low market value.

Let’s not forget the number of posters that believed Burgess was going to solve all our fitness and selecting injured senior player issues.

Back