Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [Herald Sun] LDU parks talks w/ NMFC - leads team to monster win over WCE w 26d/3clr game in Rd13

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he isn't getting dropped, I was clearly being facetious. However he is playing selfish footy at the moment. Players are blocking for him and he isn't returning the favour. He can't be a 'burst player' if he wants to play midfield.

He should watch how Rozee and Butters play to get an idea of what is expected of a full-time mid. Both are better stoppages players than Luke, they crack in harder and they work with and for their team mates rather than expecting everyone else to be trying to make them look good. But their real work is done in gut running after the stoppages and in transition, this is where games are won and lost and Luke goes missing.

Lol.

When I say burst player, I mean bursts from stoppages and uses a lot of petrol tickets offensively. He's clearly a 4q midfielder.

If Luke had Butters in with him, he'd rack up 40 possessions a game with 15 clearances and i50s.
He is the focal point in our midfield and teams are planning accordingly.

Go and have look at literally every game we have won or got close to winning. LDU has generally starred.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So the coping begins... People talking like we're prime Geelong where we should expect players to be prepared to stay for peanuts* because of the culture.

No matter how you try to rationalize it losing one of our elite talents right in his prime would be a ****ing disaster. If we were only losing LDU in a vacuum then it would be a different story but it's now starting to look like a very alarming pattern. If our sole mission is to replace our entire list with blokes that are all as talented, hard working and loyal as Sheezel then we're going to be here for a while.

*allegedly

So the coping begins... People talking like we're prime Geelong where we should expect players to be prepared to stay for peanuts* because of the culture.

No matter how you try to rationalize it losing one of our elite talents right in his prime would be a ******* disaster. If we were only losing LDU in a vacuum then it would be a different story but it's now starting to look like a very alarming pattern. If our sole mission is to replace our entire list with blokes that are all as talented, hard working and loyal as Sheezel then we're going to be here for a while.

*allegedly

5 years is a while

I never expected 5 years

Is a while another 3-4-5?

That would be 10 years all up

Yes I know. I was speculating that Clark was dropping a hint that his story was coming from Rue, therefore, from someone close to LDU.

It would not make sense to include the original home town of a player in a tweet otherwise.
I assumed Jay was hinting that LDU would want to stay in Victoria. He’d better not be saying that because he loves the beach life (which he does) he wants to play for Geelong.

Also it would have to help a bit if Clarko learned how to say his name?

Excellent post. Yes, it is up to the blokes who have the talent to lead the way, and what better reward would it be for LDU if he actually led the way, because then he could say, "I did it, I led these emerging young players on a journey with great reward".

He and others like him, if they are actually wanting out, should have a very good hard look at what Patrick Cripps has done at Carlton. He suffered through all the s**********, he led the way, now he is perhaps looking at a Premiership not too far away, with the bunch of mates he led on that journey.

He is actually the role model for people like LDU to follow.
You read my mind, Horace

Patrick Cripps had five coaches in his first 138 games, has still only won 36% of the games he's played, has a wife with a debilitating illness, and is from a small country town that's six hours on a plane (actually, two planes) and another hour by car away from where he lives now. His first final was game 181.

We know LDU has had some pretty rough times in his life, and I can understand why he might be thinking "**** this".

But LDU's one of the few blokes we have who could legitimately win a Brownlow one day. It's utter madness for us to let him walk for draft picks.

No matter how you try to rationalize it losing one of our elite talents right in his prime would be a ******* disaster. If we were only losing LDU in a vacuum then it would be a different story but it's now starting to look like a very alarming pattern. If our sole mission is to replace our entire list with blokes that are all as talented, hard working and loyal as Sheezel then we're going to be here for a while.

*allegedly
Just dealing with reality. If he wants to move on no point sulking.

Obviously doesn't make things any easier for us, but what can you do?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

You read my mind, Horace

Patrick Cripps had five coaches in his first 138 games, has still only won 36% of the games he's played, has a wife with a debilitating illness, and is from a small country town that's six hours on a plane (actually, two planes) and another hour by car away from where he lives now. His first final was game 181.

We know LDU has had some pretty rough times in his life, and I can understand why he might be thinking "* this".

But LDU's one of the few blokes we have who could legitimately win a Brownlow one day. It's utter madness for us to let him walk for draft picks.
I don't think the plan is to let him walk. I'm sure we'd sign him long term today if we could.

5 years is a while

I never expected 5 years

Is a while another 3-4-5?

That would be 10 years all up
Last GF I went to I hadn't even hit 30....the way things are going if we ever get there again I'll be watching from the nursing home. Hopefully the nurse puts my North scarf on me after my sponge bath.

You read my mind, Horace

We know LDU has had some pretty rough times in his life, and I can understand why he might be thinking "* this".

I think 90% of North fans don't want him to walk for picks.

They want him to stay but if he doesn't want to sign, what does it matter what we want or what the club want or offer?

godfather GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another factor at play here is that Willem Duursma is one of the favourites for the #1 pick in the 2025 pool.

The other consideration is Dyson Sharp.

I'm good friends with one of the VC u/16 coaches and his words to me last year when South Australia were absolutely annihilating VC in the u/16 champs were "Harley Reid 2.0".

In fact he went as far to say he's never seen a better 16 year old in his life and the SA underage coaches think he's a few levels above even JHF was and the best SA prospect they've seen in the modern draft system.

These all have to be considered when factoring compo vs a 2024 trade or else if Sharp and Duursma turn into absolutely top line prospects and we've bent into trading LDU for pick 9 and a future pick 20, when we could have landed one via FA compo..... the media furnace will be even higher.

Last edited:
You need to look at some of the blokes who are the common denominator in our poor period of 2019 until now. McKay was one, TT was one and LDU is another. Zurhaar too. Simpkin and McDonald are the others. These are all infected. They are ruined.

The only one I'm yet to mention is Larkey. I hold grave concerns for him.

You’ll be saying the same thing about Sheezel and Wardlaw in 3 years time the way things are going

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is this a Gen Z thing?

“I’m so sick of losing but I don’t want to do anything about it myself except take the easy way out”

It’s time we stopped recruiting players from the South East of Melbourne

Give me 10 Paul Curtis types from Melton or the Maltese sensation from Caroline Springs Tristan Xerri

It’s not. Look at Fitzroy of the early 90s. The Mastermind has brought up the list of players who left - Pert, Lynch, Roos, Blakey, Gale, Armstrong etc. different generation

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another factor at play here is that Willem Duursma is one of the favourites for the #1 pick in the 2025 pool.

The other consideration is Dyson Sharp.

I'm good friends with one of the VC u/16 coaches and his words to me last year when South Australia were absolutely annihilating VC in the u/16 champs were "Harley Reid 2.0".

In fact he went as far to say he's never seen a better 16 year old in his life and the SA underage coaches think he's a few levels above even JHF was and the best SA prospect they've seen in the modern draft system.

These all have to be considered when factoring compo vs a 2024 trade or else if Sharp and Duursma turn into absolutely top line prospects and we've bent into trading LDU for pick 9 and a future pick 20, when we could have landed one via FA compo..... the media furnace will be even higher.
~We can cash in LDU for another LDU minus the 7 years of AFL exposure. If we're lucky.

What a time to be alive.

~We can cash in LDU for another LDU minus the 7 years of AFL exposure. If we're lucky.

What a time to be alive.

Nobody said it's an ideal situation from that perspective.

However, you have to work with the hand that's been dealt.

You can either chuck the toys out, or be smart about how we reinvest whatever draft capital we receive for him.

Is gone. Jay Clark has followed up again saying he can expect an offer he simply cannot refuse.

Feels like seed is being planted for perhaps a trade this off season to cash in and get maximum value.

Everyone on here saying let him go etc.

Club isn’t going to improve with 18 year olds every year. McKay, TT, JHF, LDU, Zurhaar, soon to be Scott potentially all leaving

We are in this mess due to no good senior players, they are all in the bracket of 21-24 which we hoped to become senior players. The revolving door needs to stop and needs to stop now

• draft 18 year olds
  • lose players every year in the 50-100 game bracket

and people wonder why things don’t improve… you do not win games of football with Kids.
Do you mean Max Holmes type of gone?

The media was certain Max was gone because of his anger at the Club about the circumstances surrounding him missing a premiership because of injury.

So gone, he just signed a 4 year extension.

Do you mean Max Holmes type of gone?

The media was certain Max was gone because of his anger at the Club about the circumstances surrounding him missing a premiership because of injury.

So gone, he just signed a 4 year extension.

Not sure the two are comparable tbh

Last GF I went to I hadn't even hit 30....the way things are going if we ever get there again I'll be watching from the nursing home. Hopefully the nurse puts my North scarf on me after my sponge bath.

If you’re lucky she might sponge you with your north scarf 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back