Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t forget Test match cricket, always clashing kits

Back in the early 1990s, the jumpers worn by the North Sydney Bears and the Eastern Suburbs Roosters at the time used to clash pretty badly IIRC.

Actually they don't clash.

Seems to be a struggle within the AFL world to actually define this term. Perhaps it's the reason why there are issues each week.

If the dees aren’t wearing a clash kit against Richmond in a stand alone yearly fixture as the away team then It’s pretty evident the whole system is cooked.

There you go! The correct use of the term. A clash kit is one that is different!

Thank god for white shorts.

A sentence I never thought I say. But it can work if the other team doesn't have any white. If the other team has white, then the away team has gotta go for a coloured short ala (Brown/Yellow Hawks or Red/Black Bombers)choose the shade that helps the most.

It is that simple.

Yes it made a difference, but still not ideal. Still had to look for the white on the wide camera shots.

The shorts are getting looser/longer too. They ain't those tight ones that were so prevalent 3 to 4 decades ago.

So do the Wimbledon uniforms, but, like RL, you can tell which team is which by what side of the arena they are on.

I take your point, but some Rugby League clashes have been pretty bad. One would never see an NRL match where Manly and Brisbane take the field both teams wearing primarily maroon jumpers; between Cronulla and the Gold Coast with the Sharks and Titans wearing their mainly sky-blue jumpers; or the Redcliffe Dolphins playing St George Illawarra where the Dragons are wearing a mostly red jumper.

Adelaide wasn't around for long in the 1990s, but the jumper clash with Newcastle was so bad that the Rams had to wear a bright yellow clash jumper with a small amount of red & blue trimmings for games against the Knights.

And one of the 2019 preliminary finals between Canberra and South Sydney where the Rabbitohs wore their green and red hooped traditional jumper and Canberra also wore a green jumper with a large red sponsor's insignia on the front was an absolute nightmare visually.

I take your point, but some Rugby League clashes have been pretty bad. One would never see an NRL match where Manly and Brisbane take the field both teams wearing primarily maroon jumpers; between Cronulla and the Gold Coast with the Sharks and Titans wearing their mainly sky-blue jumpers; or the Redcliffe Dolphins playing St George Illawarra where the Dragons are wearing a mostly red jumper.

Adelaide wasn't around for long in the 1990s, but the jumper clash with Newcastle was so bad that the Rams had to wear a bright yellow clash jumper with a small amount of red & blue trimmings for games against the Knights.

And one of the 2019 preliminary finals between Canberra and South Sydney where the Rabbitohs wore their green and red hooped traditional jumper and Canberra also wore a green jumper with a large red sponsor's insignia on the front was an absolute nightmare visually.
League can still have clashes, especially with the modern games speed and priority on offloads.

Yeah totally.

Especially NRL, where the jumpers can be quite 'busy' especially with sponsors etc. It detracts from the spectacle for sure.

Always fine when collingwood away team.

The world just feels right when the Pies are in white...

Looks better, helps contrast.

Wish they'd adopt it as their preferred kit and just bring out the blacker one for the handful of away games needed. (North, Geel & Syd)

Interested to know if any other Pies fans around here prefer the whiter strip?

White strip with black shorts is the best and classic Collingwood strip, but they never wear it LOL. Wish they'd wear it when they are the home team vs us which is one of the worst clashes.
Collingwood's white strip and the Swans' South Melb heritage guernsey are head and shoulders above every other design imo
Screenshot_20240426_173703_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240426_173737_Chrome.jpg

The world just feels right when the Pies are in white...

Looks better, helps contrast.

Wish they'd adopt it as their preferred kit and just bring out the blacker one for the handful of away games needed. (North, Geel & Syd)

Interested to know if any other Pies fans around here prefer the whiter strip?
Yep, I prefer it for sure.

My favourite combo though (which we never wear) is white with black shorts - just has a throwback feel to it:

IMG_0723.jpeg

Wish we would bring this out once or twice a year (against someone like Gold Coast to avoid mashing dark/light like Geelong used to do).

White strip with black shorts is the best and classic Collingwood strip, but they never wear it LOL. Wish they'd wear it when they are the home team vs us which is one of the worst clashes.

It is a great kit, but it is exactly what this thread is about, creating a clash with light strip and dark shorts!!!

Plus in your scenario we’d have White top, black shorts v navy blue top, white shorts????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus in your scenario we’d have White top, black shorts v navy blue top, white shorts????

I'd prefer that all day over any game involving overwhelmingly black back & sides v solid navy blue, which we're dished up once a year at present.

Coll v Carl / Carl v Coll games were always no issue to watch as a kid watching footy in the late 80s/early 90s.

It was the league's 'El clasico.'

Yep, I prefer it for sure.

My favourite combo though (which we never wear) is white with black shorts - just has a throwback feel to it:

View attachment 1971694

Wish we would bring this out once or twice a year (against someone like Gold Coast to avoid mashing dark/light like Geelong used to do).

Yeah that’d work fine against GC in all red.

If Essendon wore red shorts with their red jumper (I reckon we should) you could wear it against us too.

Why? It's our home strip. Adelaide in white was fine, as would their home kit. No clash.
The issue is that teams with dark jumpers are being forced to wear white shorts against a team with a mainly white jumper and dark shorts.

North refusing to compromise is causing the issue. No one is saying you can't wear your home jumper, but there is nothing wrong with wearing white shorts at home for games like this.

The issue is that teams with dark jumpers are being forced to wear white shorts against a team with a mainly white jumper and dark shorts.

North refusing to compromise is causing the issue. No one is saying you can't wear your home jumper, but there is nothing wrong with wearing white shorts at home for games like this.
why cant the dark team just wear dark shorts.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes North should compromise, similar to Geelong. But on this occasion, it is the stupid white shorts rule. Why add white to a strip with no white, when the other team has white.

it is beyond idiotic.

Why? It's our home strip. Adelaide in white was fine, as would their home kit. No clash.
Watch the Geelong game - they're home and wear white shorts v a Navy team - looks so much better.

Making any team wear white shorts v Roos is ridiculous.

If blue shorts mean that much to you, have a predominantly blue based home jumper.

Roos are the only club that think shorts are sacred.

It's even worse given when Geelong is the home team (as proven by today's game), the same rules does not apply to the cats. The AFL could at least be consistent with it but no.
Consistent by Roos wearing white shorts - not by making Cats games worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back