Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Bucks and Kane this morning and how Geelong push up a player around the contest and attack from defence. Kane’s legitimate question was doesn’t that then expose your forward line to extra defenders as they kick it in, basically what’s happening to us.

You know it’s an amazing thing: if your forwards know how and where to move, and the blokes up the field know how to kick it to their advantage, you can counter a minus-one, two and sometimes even three.

But this requires… you know… being able to kick the ball to a teammate.

The 150th largest city in the world is almost 3 times the size.

If the first question you ask someone you meet from Adelaide is "Which school did you go to" - its not a big city.

Yeah. My post is agreeing with you. Not sure why you WOW’d it.

He mentioned, I think, San Francisco, but the population he quoted would’ve been just SF county.

The actual greater bay area has many times the population of Adelaide metro.

In fact I think Samcro24 would even say “magnitudes more.”

The part I agreed with was “time to get out of the small town mentality.”

I probably should’ve made that clear though.

But then, we wouldn’t have been able to connect like this. And I’ve truly enjoyed it.

I also enjoy our interactions.

Although part of me cannot shake the feeling that you are just responding to me in an effort to get more likes from Samcro24.

Yeah, it's not like it's world renowned for wine or anything
Or places like Kangaroo Island which are absolutely world renowned and can only be accessed from knowing where Adelaide is to start with.

Or the Fringe Festival which has attracted major international acts for a very long time now.

Or major musical acts choosing to play at the V8 after race concerts every year as they get to play in front of 50,000+.

LIV Golf also starting to give Adelaide a presence on the global stage from a sporting sense as well; with all the eastern states too far up the arse of the PGA, which hasn't been of benefit to Australia for 20 years. There was a strong international presence there this year and it will only continue to grow as the scenes from LIV Adelaide go viral (hole in one last year, team playoff this year).

But sure, we are just a dusty bus stop in the middle of nowhere that is left off maps (who the **** even uses physical maps anymore anyway?). We certainly aren't left off Google Maps which is what 99% of people use these days.

Only posters that have left Adelaide and moved to QLD on this board say that

Queensland is becoming the cesspool that Melbourne now is.

Nicks keeps going on about values, how players need to learn the values to come in etc etc. Anyone know what they are exactly?

From the snippets I have seen, it seems like a real 'team first' mantra, but to the extreme. Sacrifice your game for the better of the team. 'Keep shape' at the expense of your personal stats. Team goals rather than trying to be the hero.

Anyone else have a better understanding?

Maximum b&f votes for playing your role to an elite level. He has an unhealthy obsession with roles over positive game impact.

You think he’s lost the ability to coach?

Yes, I do, and I don’t understand why that’s such an outlandish statement. It happened to Malthouse, Pagan and Blight.

Obviously he did an amazing job for Hawthorn but he was poor at the end and set them back a fair few years. I haven’t seen any evidence in what he’s done at North that suggests he still has it.

It’s not about the wins and losses. If we compare his first couple years here to what Roos did at Melbourne, with Roos you could see the core base of their game being built as soon as he got there. You could immediately see a clear plan and direction and they are now reaping the benefits

With North Clarko seems to have them playing this unaccountable footy where a lot of their key young talent are clearly being directed to kick chase. The only kind of clear plan I can see with North is that they want to be really creative and adventurous by foot, but I don’t think that’s a great starting point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide is a dusty bus stop in the middle of a nowhere that is often left off of maps … I would guess hardly anyone outside of Australia could name it as an Australian city.

Doesn’t mean it’s a crap place to live - work- grow up … but let’s not over-reach with where it stands on the world stage eh?
It's unfortunately true .....not hard to understand why, when you consider the collapse of the car industry, failure to get most projects going, and an ever growing leakage of young professionals to the east coast

Just leaves primarily service businesses ....servicing an ever declining pop base, and shrinking disposable $$$

It's unfortunately true .....not hard to understand why, when you consider the collapse of the car industry, failure to get most projects going, and an ever growing leakage of young professionals to the east coast

Just leaves primarily service businesses ....servicing an ever declining pop base, and shrinking disposable $$$

It's a backwater.

Yes, I do, and I don’t understand why that’s such an outlandish statement. It happened to Malthouse, Pagan and Blight.

Obviously he did an amazing job for Hawthorn but he was poor at the end and set them back a fair few years. I haven’t seen any evidence in what he’s done at North that suggests he still has it.

It’s not about the wins and losses. If we compare his first couple years here to what Roos did at Melbourne, with Roos you could see the core base of their game being built as soon as he got there. You could immediately see a clear plan and direction and they are now reaping the benefits

With North Clarko seems to have them playing this unaccountable footy where a lot of their key young talent are clearly being directed to kick chase. The only kind of clear plan I can see with North is that they want to be really creative and adventurous by foot, but I don’t think that’s a great starting point.

Seriously

His list fell apart very hard to maintain a good list when you are up the top of the ladder

What’s our excuse

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think they lose their ability to coach, but they can definitely lose the appetite for the challenge, which is what happened to Blight, Pagan and Mick. I'm not seeing it with Clarko yet, that said, I'm not glued to the screen when he's on. But yeh, 'losing the ability to coach' is pretty outlandish for a guy Clarko's age, he's still a modern coach.

I can see where you are going with this but I see it as something different. He is asking them to take the game on. Are they winning? no. But the younger kids with huge upside will grow into the game. West Coast were witches hats last year and this year they've already shown signs of massive improvement. Clarkson only won 5 games in his first year at Hawthorn and he had far better youth at his disposal and some good experienced players.

The proof will be to see if the list shows improvement next year. Based on the game against us, we only beat them because of our mature bodies. Pretty good sign for them.

Adelaide is a dusty bus stop in the middle of a nowhere that is often left off of maps … I would guess hardly anyone outside of Australia could name it as an Australian city.

Doesn’t mean it’s a crap place to live - work- grow up … but let’s not over-reach with where it stands on the world stage eh?
Adelaide is a depressed far western suburb of Melbourne

Back