Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously

His list fell apart very hard to maintain a good list when you are up the top of the ladder

What’s our excuse

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
His list didn’t fall apart. He was influential in bringing in players like Wingard and O’Meara thinking he could go again, he coached with that mindset and refused to read the writing on the wall that a rebuild was needed and went against what made him successful in the first place.

He could easily prove me wrong, but as I said, if you look at his recent work both at Hawthorn and North, what is there to tell you he’s still the great coach he once was. As I said, he’s getting leeway because of what he has done in the past and history shows that that is fraught with danger.

His list didn’t fall apart. He was influential in bringing in players like Wingard and O’Meara thinking he could go again, he coached with that mindset and refused to read the writing on the wall that a rebuild was needed and went against what made him successful in the first place.

He could easily prove me wrong, but as I said, if you look at his recent work both at Hawthorn and North, what is there to tell you he’s still the great coach he once was. As I said, he’s getting leeway because of what he has done in the past and history shows that that is fraught with danger.

Had his protege Hodge on radio tonight almost demanding they get a pick at the pointy end of the draft again. Sickening

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Had his protege Hodge on radio tonight almost demanding they get a pick at the pointy end of the draft again. Sickening

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any extra assistance should be around helping them be more competitive now. All another pick will do is make them harder to beat in 5 years time IF they get it together.

People act like Adelaide is a small town. In comparison to Melbourne and Sydney maybe but Adelaide would be the 7th biggest city in the USA.

I live in Portugal and travelled extensively in the united states.

Not sure how extensively you travelled around the USA if you think Adelaide would be the 7th largest city in the USA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's unfortunately true .....not hard to understand why, when you consider the collapse of the car industry, failure to get most projects going, and an ever growing leakage of young professionals to the east coast

Just leaves primarily service businesses ....servicing an ever declining pop base, and shrinking disposable $$$
Most vibrant real estate market and tightest rental market in the country suggests there's plenty of demand and an undersupply here mate.

Given the transition to regional and remote work, I suggest you'll find that the moment people don't have to live in proximity to their employer is the same moment people make lifestyle choices that see them move away from overpriced, overcrowded cities like Melbs and Sydney. The economic crutch these places lean on currently is fast coming to an end.

In fact, the problem is not that they lose their ability to coach, it’s that their egos have them believe they can turn these basket cases around.
I'm not convinced Pagan believed he could turn Carlton around. I tend to take his admission at face-value that he didn't do his due diligence in understanding just how deep the problems ran at Carlton, let alone losing all of those draft picks in the Stephen O'Reilly fiasco that he got to walk into. Malthouse is a different beast to Pagan.

Lmao. They didn’t lose their ability to coach, they lost their ability to have good players.

I'm not convinced Pagan believed he could turn Carlton around. I tend to take his admission at face-value that he didn't do his due diligence in understanding just how deep the problems ran at Carlton, let alone losing all of those draft picks in the Stephen O'Reilly fiasco that he got to walk into. Malthouse is a different beast to Pagan.

Blight similar at Saints, rolled in to turn the place around but didn’t realise the appetite for cultural change was low. Malthouse was like Gibbs, never wanted to leave the club he was at but had to, money and sticking it up Eddie were his main passions for coaching Carlton.

Blight similar at Saints, rolled in to turn the place around but didn’t realise the appetite for cultural change was low. Malthouse was like Gibbs, never wanted to leave the club he was at but had to, money and sticking it up Eddie were his main passions for coaching Carlton.
The Saints were particularly sinister in head-hunting Blight only to cut him off at every pass. I think we've all seen that in the workplace when the powers that be purposely bring someone in full of the right ideas to get things back on track and moving forward, only to be ignored and then made to be a scapegoat when they eventually flee the asylum they unwittingly found themselves in.

Was thinking how outrageous a comment Silvers made saying the board all believe Nicks will be our next premiership coach. They’re either backing him in for an 8-10 year tenure without a flag or see a flag among the vast majority of the current list. The latter would be some high end delusion.

Last edited:
Was thinking how outrageous a comment Silvers made saying the board all believe Nicks will be our next premiership. They’re either backing him in for an 8-10 year tenure without a flag or see a flag among the vast majority of the current list. The latter would be some high end delusion.
And then say we are going to be super aggressive at the trade table which means clearly we have holes in our list.

But basically we was just talking crap to placate the masses who don’t know any better

Was thinking how outrageous a comment Silvers made saying the board all believe Nicks will be our next premiership. They’re either backing him in for an 8-10 year tenure without a flag or see a flag among the vast majority of the current list. The latter would be some high end delusion.

A few nights ago I heard Rowey make mention that a failure this year will result in a mass clean out of assistant coaches rather than Nicks.

Seems like they have backed Nicks in for at least for another 12 months.

Back