Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've suggested this numerous times.

I can only assume Beau doesn't have the tank for a wing role yet. That's a LOOOOOOT of just constant up and down running
True. Though he seems to find the ball a lot on the paddle (paddling to himself) on the wing and kicking it into the 50

I'm not sure about tank concerns, but I think his approach to the game might not suit the wing. He is relentless in his pursuit of the man, and can get sucked into structural miscues because of this. It's not really an issue because he is so good at impacting contests, but it might be an issue on the wing.

Think Schultz would be better there.

Lipinski seems the perfect Steele replacement for that role

Has the running capacity and is our best into F50 kick

Surely not. My old man used to say “trying not to get injured is the surest way to get injured” I really don’t think he would be adjusting his game and would be disappointed if that was the case. He’s just a bit down and I reckon our overall disposal count would probably be down. Might check that out actually..
So team disposal count is down 30 per game based on averages over the first seven rounds compared to last year from 375 to 345. On average in 2024 we are -20 v oppo. We were 6/1 last year to 3/3/1 this year. So Crispy seems to be following the team trend at the moment. What that means I don’t know.

we need to put time into Walsh and Acres ..cant allow them both to run Wild ..with likely personnel missing ..good time to allocate maybe role players to try to tag or blanket them ..
Acres has been one of the biggest reasons for Carlton's surge. He started quite slowly but has gradually built up to become one of the most effective wings in the competition. Other players who will need close minding are Cottrell and Newman.

Cottrell is effective at finding pockets of space within their forward 50, while Newman drives a lot of their momentum from half-back, particularly in the absence of Saad, Docherty and McGovern.

WHE would be my match-up on Acres, as Jaicos isn't defensive-minded enough. Maynard (or Markov if selected) to Cottrell and Lipinski to Newman.

I'd also like to see the coaching staff play Howe forward so as to throw another aerial presence at Weitering. This might mean selecting someone like Dean to play back, with Moore on Curnow and Frampton on McKay.

Last edited:
So team disposal count is down 30 per game based on averages over the first seven rounds compared to last year from 375 to 345. On average in 2024 we are -20 v oppo. We were 6/1 last year to 3/3/1 this year. So Crispy seems to be following the team trend at the moment. What that means I don’t know.
The biggest problem we have is that we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. It's become apparent that Titch has been carrying and injury and I would say there is a big chance that JDG has been struggling with a dodgy groin all year. IQ looks to also be carrying something. Those 3 alone would contribute to those stats. I also think that we might still be in hangover mode and some of the players aren't doing the little things they did previously. That's all it takes to fall down a bit. I still think we are good enough to win the win the flag again but we will need some luck

Well it will be hard to see us winning without Jordy and Blues have some underrated role players.
That has been Carlton's big improvement - the development/form of their role players.

They used to have such a chasm between their top-line players and the rest of their list. Players like Cottrell, Newman, Hollands, Kemp, Acres and Kennedy have given them some really good depth.

Interestingly they were up by 30 points in the third quarter against Geelong in round 2 last season, but only ended up winning by 8 points. Saad, Newman Young and Weitering had 10, 8, 7 and 7 intercept possessions respectively and, from my recollection they used Saad and Newman to rebound through the middle of the ground for the first 3 quarters.

Geelong came back and kicked 6 of the last 9 goals of the game, including 3.4 to 1.1 in the last quarter. Much of this stemmed from Carlton going into their shells and seeking to possess the ball, instead of being brave enough to go through the middle of the ground.

Much like Geelong did in last Saturday's game, I'd like to see us push back really hard to nullify Carlton's forward entries and jam up their forward 50. We can't however give up the corridor, particularly on turnover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest problem we have is that we don't know what's going on behind closed doors. It's become apparent that Titch has been carrying and injury and I would say there is a big chance that JDG has been struggling with a dodgy groin all year. IQ looks to also be carrying something. Those 3 alone would contribute to those stats. I also think that we might still be in hangover mode and some of the players aren't doing the little things they did previously. That's all it takes to fall down a bit. I still think we are good enough to win the win the flag again but we will need some luck
Most players are carrying some niggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back