Autopsy Cats lose to Demons by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Had Rohan come on and played like he can do, it would have been perfect
FWIW, I did miss the game because I was at a mate's party.

That said, I have always found Rohan a very difficult player, because "if he plays at his best" is such a lottery. I've only known four other players at Geelong to have such a massive gap between best and worst, and they are David Mensch, Rhys Stanley, Steven Motlop and Billy Brownless.

At his best, he is extremely valuable - but that is such a caveat.

We were hunted, and it worked

I wouldnt say outhunted bc we did ok in the defensive stuff given no danger and bruhn injured
The issue was more melbourne were able to force us to play between straight lines and kick long and stop us switching the ball out wide. When we did it and got out we scored but we werent able to do it as much as last week.

Yes, I agree, we are in that mix at present, and 7-0 will help that.
No Danger- Saints probably beat us.
No JC- how many games do we win this year?
BUT, I agree, you can say that about Pies/NDaicos, Blues/Harry&Curnow, but with the Swans, Demons and GWS, they seem to have more widespread contributors to a win.
We are rarely belted even in any quarter.
I just wonder what will transpire as the season goes on, with that MF and our aged list.
We are 1/3 of the way through it, May will be very challenging.

May will be challenging but the rest of our draw through to finals is very friendly. If we can get through this month 2-2 and get to the bye ok we will make top 4.

Hawk doesn't need to be able to run a marathon though. If he plays Port > week off > Giants then it's an easy run off no break then a harder run off a break. We get to see both options and he breaks the record.

I have a suspicion that he breaks the record and then we see Neale against Richmond

I forgot about the record tbh.
We wont want him to break it in the darwin game.so he will play this week, miss darwin and break it at home vs gws.
I think you are right we see neale vs richmond.

Sorry dubs, I can’t really agree with that. We are far, far more even than we were in the Dangerwood days even moreso this year with Holmes, Zuthrie and Gryan basically top 5 players for us.

Yes, more of the times when we win, our stars play well, but is that any different to how Heeney and Gulden perform in Swans wins or Gawn, Petracca and May when the Demons play well?
At the moment, we are more dependant on JC than I'd like. He's the one player without whom we cannot compete with the very best.

The Dees can go without one of Gawn, Petracca or May. We can't go without JC.

Nah he's been fine this season, albeit not outstanding.

But he does tend to have a few slack moments here and there. We got them concentrated yesterday.

And I believe he was minding Petty for a fair bit of it, who a week ago looked like one of the worst footballers in league history. So that was a bit embarrassing. Then that double whammy of a terrible exit kick and showing Fritsch onto his winning boot.

But these things happen to most defenders. He isn't A grade, he's a B grader and they will be liable to have the odd nightmare. We back him in from here, obviously.

Potential-wise I rate him higher than that. It's only three years since he finished second in the Carji in a side that made a Prelim. He was being widely touted as a future All Australian and rightly so.

FWIW, I did miss the game because I was at a mate's party.

That said, I have always found Rohan a very difficult player, because "if he plays at his best" is such a lottery. I've only known four other players at Geelong to have such a massive gap between best and worst, and they are David Mensch, Rhys Stanley, Steven Motlop and Billy Brownless.

At his best, he is extremely valuable - but that is such a caveat.
Menschy was a bit different from what i recall, but those 3 for sure.
I always regarded Stanley and Rohan as our barometers.

I could get on board with Conway/Neale in combination if both Stanley and Hawkins is out.

Think that'll be a back half of the season thing off we see it though

Will be a very tough call from CS to drop Stanley and Hawkins (and Duncan for Knevitt). But may just be necessary.

If we’re going to get belted in the ruck with whoever we pick out of Stanley and Conway, I’d rather it be Conway. At least we’d be getting experience into him. The only risk is damaging his confidence.

I think CS and many coaches say you can learn more from a loss than varied wins, and last night gives the MC plenty of firepower. That will reset the list and their hunting attitude, and we certainly need to be the instigators of the hunt to win these games imho.

I hate a loss as much as the next person, and it gives the rest of the opposition the opinion they can do it too. It was only a matter of time before someone worked us out. The long runs and over the back balls were denied, combined with conditions and us failing to overcome their pressure and short game. We were second to the ball too often and completely off with delivery and accuracy.

Thinking that being undefeated brings it's own pressures, and the way we were going -I'd probably be more dismayed with a loss if it happened much later in the season, and the media much more overwhelming. Closer to the pack- Live and learn, all in, attack by stealth.

At the moment, we are more dependant on JC than I'd like. He's the one player without whom we cannot compete with the very best.

The Dees can go without one of Gawn, Petracca or May. We can't go without JC.
Seems that way to me too. I also think Danger is being underrated in these discussions. He was brilliant last week in that first half, set the scene for our style of play.

Strange to see some people criticising Stanley's rucking when it was the one area of his game he was actually good in. He beat Gawn in the hitouts and overall clearances were basically tied in the end. If anything in terms of rucking it was typical Rhys: a week after getting smashed by a low-profile name in Pittonet, he held his own in the ruck against an elite opponent.

It was his work around the ground that was terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Duncan should play the rest of the year in the VFL with a role to coach and teach the kids. Give him the last game of the year in the firsts at home to say goodbye and let the fans thank him for his career.
He's too good to play VFL. He just had an off night, but so did a bunch of them. I though Cameron's efforts were poor, at least Duncan was getting involved.

Strange to see some people criticising Stanley's rucking when it was the one area of his game he was actually good in. He beat Gawn in the hitouts and overall clearances were basically tied in the end. If anything in terms of rucking it was typical Rhys: a week after getting smashed by a low-profile name in Pittonet, he held his own in the ruck against an elite opponent.

It was his work around the ground that was terrible.

Gawn dominated the last 1/4:

9 disposals (7 contested)
3 marks (2 contested)
7 hit outs
4 clearances
1 goal

He's too good to play VFL. He just had an off night, but so did a bunch of them. I though Cameron's efforts were poor, at least Duncan was getting involved.

Duncan was good against Carlton last week but his season has been well below his best. Last night he was terrible but he wasn’t alone.

The hungrier team won. They were more desperate. It wasn’t a must win game.
Can’t win every game. A poor game was on the cards after last week.

Melbourne’s gameplan is defensive s**t. Just flood every player behind the ball. Awful to watch. Horrible and I really hope that style doesn’t take out this years premiership.

Positive is we cannot possibly play any worse than that and only lost by 9.
This was my overall impression from early on. It was like a video game character setting; their energy setting was a tick or two above ours.
I felt we perked up noticeably after the Guthrie goal? I think. I may be wrong when, but there was a spark of desperation and manic pressure for a couple seconds. But then it was gone.

I can't understand why we kept offering Melbourne territory coming out of their backline when they were using it so well to break down our press and created shots on goal,we were giving them 30 metres then not standing the mark or manning the next Melbourne player in the chain,before you knew it they were out free and looking to spot up a target inside their own forward 50.We never addressed it all night.

The longer the game went Duncan's confidence was shot. You could see him hesitate, especially steaming into F50 with no clear leads. Snowballing, you knew it was coming- kicking to a contest. Cameron did pass a perfectly weighted kick to Close, dangerous in itself. They all made each other look bad IMO.

Cameron strength is not as a stay-at-home full-forward.

Hawkins appears hindered and can not get out of a gallop. When he gets free more often than not he gets a kick from deep in the pocket. We understand clearing the forward line but we need a forward who can take a park mark a home.

Ollie Henry has a crack but does not have the build.

Where is our key leading / pack marking forward?

How can they justify keeping Neale out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back