Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking the opposite way. WACA members would get a seat at all Scorchers game at the new stadium, of course. Perhaps they could sit on one side behind the bowlers arm. At the other end could be Scorchers season ticket holders, who get a premium seat at each Scorchers game but have no corresponding rights to a seat at the WACA. Thus the Scorchers splitting away somewhat from the Western Warriors and having their own identity a bit.

I'd say most of the Scorchers' popularity is in them basically being the Warriors.

I like Burswood, will make a new precinct and also build up vic park and east perth

plus will be 70k soon enough, pretty big stadium IMO
Perth should've had a new stadium built and functioning about ten years ago. Over the course of history Subiaco's upgrades have been pretty sparse. Sure a bit of that has to do with the council and locals and the fact houses and rail lines prohibit too much growth, but then you could argue a decent government could say "alright then, your cafe and pub scene can disintegrate – we're going to make Leederville or Perth Oval or Wellington Square, or later on, Cockburn or Burswood the site and you won't have a stadium."

I don't think we'll see the 10,000 upgrade for a long time. The thought process will be "that much for that few seats?!" I'm still not sure if we'll see mammoth crowds of 55,000 every weekend in Perth for AFL football but no one is. Maybe the crowd'll push 60,000 every week in the first season. Maybe in about seven. Maybe not for 25 years. Who knows. I do side with the 70,000 mob though simply because we might never see an upgrade happen until the upgrade is a brand new stadium in 70 years.

I have no idea what the proposed design is, but what I'd like to see is the roof line built over the stadium as if it were say 70-75,000 - let's say a complete 3 decker. We build it in the full size but only build half the 3rd deck. Extra seats when needed is just a matter of completing the 3rd deck all the way around at some later date, without having to amend the roof or the foundations.

Just pure speculation of course.

I have no idea what the proposed design is, but what I'd like to see is the roof line built over the stadium as if it were say 70-75,000 - let's say a complete 3 decker. We build it in the full size but only build half the 3rd deck. Extra seats when needed is just a matter of completing the 3rd deck all the way around at some later date, without having to amend the roof or the foundations.

Just pure speculation of course.

Something like the San Siro Stadium in Milan.

San-Siro-Stadium-001.jpg

Something along those lines, exactly!
you'd hope that was the only similarity. the San Siro is a s**t hole otherwise.

design the top tier all the way around and just don't build it all the way. so a gap at either end behind the goals or just behind the goal at one end, but put in a glass end / massive video screens in whatever gap there is. that way it's a feature until the extension to 70k is required.

like this except the open bit on the end (wtf were they thinking having the side vacant?)
199.jpg

or this with the glass end
minnesota-vikings-nfl-stadium.jpeg

you'd hope that was the only similarity. the San Siro is a s**t hole otherwise.

design the top tier all the way around and just don't build it all the way. so a gap at either end behind the goals or just behind the goal at one end, but put in a glass end / massive video screens in whatever gap there is. that way it's a feature until the extension to 70k is required.

like this except the open bit on the end (wtf were they thinking having the side vacant?)

or this with the glass end

I was talking in the most general terms only. We'd still want something that didn't looked good, that Milan stadium is a bit s**t-house with that heavy truss roof.

The top picture you posted I think was one of the plans for a redeveloped Subiaco. There is a main road that runs along the wing and restricts room on that side. Hence the greenfield site at the old Burswood golf course.

The top picture you posted I think was one of the plans for a redeveloped Subiaco. There is a main road that runs along the wing and restricts room on that side. Hence the greenfield site at the old Burswood golf course.

indeed it is. but useful for illustrative purposes. just move the massive screen to one or both ends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all of them. They're growing apart little by little. Katich, Hoggy, the Fonz, Arrafat.

But the initial popularity was because it was easily identifiable as Western Australian. It made it seem more like an organic team and not a plastic franchise

But the initial popularity was because it was easily identifiable as Western Australian. It made it seem more like an organic team and not a plastic franchise

I think the T20 geenie is out of the bottle now.

I predict that there will be pressure to get the stadium finished for the summer of 2017-18 to squeeze in the BBL before the 2018 AFL season starts. Mark my words :)

I predict that there will be pressure to get the stadium finished for the summer of 2017-18 to squeeze in the BBL before the 2018 AFL season starts. Mark my words :)

Agreed. The Perth Scorchers will develop to their own team- hopefully keeping its close links to the Warriors.

It's grown it's own brand.

But at the start being a mostly WA team in terms of players helped it start off. The same thing appears to have happened in South Australia.

Barnett has said all along if all things go to plan the stadium will be ready for the 2017 AFL finals if they want to use it.

Something like the San Siro Stadium in Milan.

San-Siro-Stadium-001.jpg
The City of Manchester Stadium would be a good blueprint. Just keep the ends free and the roof starting higher.
24385fb9e3eb6139cf95b220df456c1f.jpg

I like the idea of filling it with a ludicrous video screen too – that'd give it something unique. I still hope the ground doesn't look like bland. That's just my only hope. Something bold.

The City of Manchester Stadium would be a good blueprint. Just keep the ends free and the roof starting higher.
24385fb9e3eb6139cf95b220df456c1f.jpg

I like the idea of filling it with a ludicrous video screen too – that'd give it something unique. I still hope the ground doesn't look like bland. That's just my only hope. Something bold.

Just curious. If the ground was built similar to this; but in oval configuration with the high (3-deck) roof all the way around - would that count as bland or something you'd really like?

Just curious. If the ground was built similar to this; but in oval configuration with the high (3-deck) roof all the way around - would that count as bland or something you'd really like?
Hmm. Probably decent. It's not bad at all. I guess in comparison to Eithad and the Gabba it'd be interesting. I don't like Australia's recent attempts at an interesting interior design, that new SCG stand is appallingly ugly and I'm one of the few who thinks Adelaide Oval is just a mis-match of behemoth stands. And considering how hard it is to play with the inside while keeping it as accessible and enjoyable as a place like Etihad, then I'd take it.

I like these submissions for Japan's National Stadium.
japan_national_stadium_finalists-10.jpg

japan_national_stadium_finalists-08.jpg

And in all honesty, I kind of like this original sketch for some reason. Maybe it's the weight of each level. If they built a cool looking roof I'd be all for it
538413-new-perth-stadium.jpg

The most important element is the exterior and roof. The people in here asking for a kind of suspended, high-hanging roof probably also raise a cool point for design.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back