Unofficial Preview Round 6: St Kilda Vs Brisbane - Westpac Stadium NZ @ 7:45 NZST

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still against Sam Fisher returning yet, 1 match since Round 10, 2013 while we have kids and others in the VFL who have played a lot more matches and deserve a spot in the side.

Is Gwilt injured?

If Fisher is underdone and not considered then Acres MAY get an opportunity to replace Gwilt. I think Weller and Shenton will get their chance later in the season when players finish their season early and go under the knife. Acres has had 3 very good games now (including the dev game).

In: Acres and Savage
Out: Gwilt and Schneider

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sav and Milera in for Schneider (susp) and Gwilt (rest)

Dunstan still the sub for mine.

Get Gwilt right for Hawthorn.

We can play a little shorter vs Brisbane as they don't run with a second KPF, instead they play Paperone as a lead up option ala Gunston.

Delaney on Brown. Bruce loose to push forward like he did against Essendo unless Merrett goes forward.

Roo and Stanley to burn Merrett and Lisle all day long.

Hickey will SMASH West around the ground.

Curren on Adcock. Robertson comes to Joey who goes on Redden to take his space.

Dempster on Bewick in the pocket to go 3rd man up if needed....

We got this!

Sav is a cert for Schneider (crock of a decision). Actually would love Siposs in: good VFL form, medium tall, good boot (Hudson likened him to Billings in the VFL review). I liked pinpointing passes into the forward line for Roo.

why promote a rookie at this stage?

I'd give Dunnell a run before promoting a rookie. even guys like TDL and Tez Millez are in the mix.

Why wouldn't we if we can bring one in via the LTI till Wright comes back? Weller and Shenton both appear to be doing enough to be worth having as an option for selection so I see no reason why we shouldn't upgrade one of them. More options can't hurt.

If guys like Dunnel, TDL and Milera were doing enough, they would be in the team already. The rookies don't have that option even though they are arguably playing better than those senior squad members.

Wouldn't mind bringing in Milera and maybe move Eli into Schneiders midfield role and see if he can start getting more of the ball. Can't see an upgrade being made yet so either Milera or a medium tall for mine.

Weller was looking for a room at the Last Chance Hotel when he joined us. So you can leave him at Sandy until he makes it impossible not to promote him... like Curren.

If he gets promoted, you know that you will have a seriously good player ready to go IMO because he has worked his butt off for it.

Exactly. If he puts together enough games like he did on the weekend, he's still got a job next year.
Shenton, Minchington, Dunell, Milera and TDL aren't so sure.

So just noticed there is 3 ANCAC Day games this year.. 2 being played Friday evening/night yet the one overseas is on Foxtel and not free to air.. How ridiculous is that!

Fisher is coming off no footy for 10 months & after 1 ok VFL game & a 6-day break since that game, people want him back?

No thanks, bring him back for Hawthorn or Carlton. 1-2 more VFL games for mine

Agree. People saying playing Savage cos its NZ would be farce if he didnt perform in VFL, this is just up there. Why should anyone come in ahead of blokes that have been knocking door down for weeks. There isnt exactly any room in our backline for Fisher.

Fisher has a lot to prove, imo and I don't think he's one of the obvious picks anymore. I'm still not convinced he's best 22, and I think he needs at least a month in the VFL after almost a year out of the game. If he can recapture his past form, and it's a big if, then selection will be very interesting given how good Gwilt, Delaney and Dempster have been. But like I said, i've still got question marks on his place in this team.
If/when he is back to full fitness (like he apparently was prior to his late preseason injury, when he was reportedly recording his best running times in two years) and anywhere near his best form, I fully expect he will still be quite comfortably in our best 10, as he has been for the last several years and as the likes of Lenny still are.

The rest of the older group are all performing well, so I see no reason at all why he won't as well (if he's fully over his injury), once he's fully match-fit and the best thing is that he will be free to just pretty much play his own game again, where he again becomes an intercepting/rebounding wall across HB for us and a pain in the ass to the other team.

He won our B&F in 2011 and was pretty much his usual self in the first half of 2012, but then in the 2nd half he was required to play as our no.1 "lock-down key defender" and as such wasn't as prominent/visible as he used to be, but he was rarely beaten and as such was still extremely valuable to our team and last year he played every game he played with a badly broken big toe and yet still averaged 18 possessions per game, which was a hell of a gutsy effort.

There were some who bagged his form last year, but fairdinkum, could anyone who did imagine playing footy week after week with a badly broken big toe, probably while not training in between games, thus losing fitness by the week?

I expect all he will have to prove is that he is fully fit (which may take another week in the VFL) and in good enough form, which it sounds like he was on the weekend. Richo gave him a huge wrap during the preseason and rates him extremely highly by the sounds of it and I expect will be licking his lips at the prospect of getting him into our back 6 and seeing how much of an improvement he makes to our team (unless we're tanking, which I don't think we are at all) when/if he is.

I'm as confident if not more about this as I was around the early to middle part of last year till the day he was sacked that Scott Watters wasn't up to scratch as far as coaching goes and that we could do better than have him coaching us, or that Jack Billings was our man at the draft. It's just a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned, unless Sam has suddenly lost his ability overnight, or is still struggling with an injury. He's not THAT old and after a late start to senior AFL footy he hasn't even played 200 games yet, so I doubt very much he's physically spent, especially after having had the 2nd half of last season off and much of that time off his legs. Time will tell though and anything can happen. I'm sure we could argue this till we're blue in the face if we wanted to!

As far as this week goes, I think the MRP have done our club a solid and we'll bring Savage in (although I think I'd prefer Tez Milez) and that may be the only change, unless Gwilt is rested, in which case Sam may be brought in. Even if he's not fully fit yet there is no rule that says you can't get up to full fitness in the seniors, if you're still good enough, as Steven and Schneider are doing at the mo, so it wouldn't surprise me if he follows suit. Not fussed if he gets another week in the VFL though and comes in against Hawthorn, as I said last night.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. People saying playing Savage cos its NZ would be farce if he didnt perform in VFL, this is just up there. Why should anyone come in ahead of blokes that have been knocking door down for weeks. There isnt exactly any room in our backline for Fisher.

You must be forgetting how good of a player Fisher is. He is a proven player unlike Savage. But unless there is an injury he shouldn't get a game this week. Really looking forward to seeing him play with Delaney and Bruce so he is freed up.

You must be forgetting how good of a player Fisher is. He is a proven player unlike Savage. But unless there is an injury he shouldn't get a game this week. Really looking forward to seeing him play with Delaney and Bruce so he is freed up.

He was good a few years back, but now needs to prove himself again. Shouldn't be given preferential treatment cos he was good years ago.

I know that Fisher is a great player at his best & is a walk up to our best 18 when fit, but I can't fathom why some are saying we rest some blokes because of the 6-day break when the guys that played for Sandy, including Fisher, are coming off a 6-day break too.

Minimal changes for mine. Templeton to sub, Ross to start, Savage/Milera/Markworth/Siposs (not fussed) in for Schneider

Nb: wouldn't be too fussed if Fisher did come in, he's a great player, but the defensive lines are looking good so far this year & I feel there are others who deserve a game ahead of him

Last edited:
Hes a dickhead getting involved in petty showmanship after he cant even play more than 3 games in a row anyway is dumb. He deserves to be punished. Tool.

Out: Schneider
In: White

???

Lets keep it really simple and have minimal changes. Reward the boys for a good all round performance against the bombers.

Schneider out; Millera/TDL in (can play similar roles). Reward VFL performances. As much as I'd like to have Savage in the team for promotion purposes it simply sends the wrong message. Ross needs a full game - rotate and experiment with the sub system as it most likely is here to stay.

ahem...

I highly doubt that savage would be recalled just because its NZ.

But rather because he has done what was asked of him at Sandy.

As for rookies... unless it is an emergency, I'd keep them there for a few months and then give the spot to the most deserving. Make them earn it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back