FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooney might be interesting if we hadn't heard so much from him in the media, i can already expect what kind of discussion he will give regarding his Geelong playing days.

Cam Mooney didn't realise he was such a dog of a player. pathetic

I'm sure I enjoyed that more than a neutral supporter, but if you've ever thought 'Mooney is a hack...Mooney is overrated...Mooney has tickets on himself' or whatever, I'd say that's all you need to watch to see why we DGAF what others think and that he will always be a champ of Geelong. A good-very good player who was a classic case of right place/right time, who was fantastic for the club and is acutely aware that the club was fantastic for him.

People might think that his thoughts on retirement and being shot in 2011 are a bit easy to say in retrospect, but I vividly remember him saying similar things, in a public forum (he was a regular on one of the footy panel shows - I think it was the Channel 10 one at the time) when he was trying to get back from injury that year. His reaction to being pushed out of the side and especially on grand final day, 2011 was just sheer class. I can't imagine anyone handling such a difficult situation any better.

Last edited:
I'm sure I enjoyed that more than a neutral supporter, but if you've ever thought 'Mooney is a hack...Mooney is overrated...Mooney has tickets on himself' or whatever, I'd say that's all you need to watch to see why we DGAF what others think and that he will always be a champ of Geelong. A good-very good player who was a classic case of right place/right time, who was fantastic for the club and is acutely aware that the club was fantastic for him.

People might think that his thoughts on retirement and being shot in 2011 are a bit easy to say in retrospect, but I vividly remember him saying similar things, in a public forum (he was a regular on one of the footy panel shows - I think it was the Channel 10 one at the time) when he was trying to get back from injury that year. His reaction to being pushed out of the side and especially on grand final day, 2011 was just sheer class. I can't imagine anyone handling such a difficult situation any better.

I remember every time Geelong played Essendon I use to always curse his name cause he used to always tear us a new one

But your right he was a very good player and I always enjoys his comments in the media.

Last edited:
Enjoyed that one because he just answered everything didnt hide stuff.

Though mike likes to go down a negative path a bit, lot of focus on the the time at north given the proportion of his career spent there.

But i like mooney so enjoyed that after last weeks dull episode

Quintessential viewing on a Monday.

Love Cam Mooney, loved the episode.

ATTN Producers: There's a state on the other side of the country with plenty of GREAT footballers who haven't even had one feature on the show which is in its X year, any danger of getting one of our legends on?

Good work though OM team

Quintessential viewing on a Monday.

Love Cam Mooney, loved the episode.

ATTN Producers: There's a state on the other side of the country with plenty of GREAT footballers who haven't even had one feature on the show which is in its X year, any danger of getting one of our legends on?

Good work though OM team

Do you want 30 minutes on why player x didnt play at the highest level

No because OM would pick a WA player who has played at the highest level.

Since you're being a smart ass, I'll point out that Knuckles appeared on the show a few weeks ago.

Nah wasnt trying to be a smart arse, more interesting to me see kerley and cornes, id like to see some WA greats and learn about them, sorry mate,

I meant mike would just focus on them not playing VFL or barely playing, eg if he had brian peake on someone like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the big elephant in the room from the Mooney interview was that if he felt he exorcised his 2008 demons by winning the 2009 grand final, whether he had any theories as to why his goalkicking accuracy never really recovered. He was 195.117 before the 2008 grand final and 102.91 after it. I would also have been interested to get his honest thoughts on how the club had handled the departures of some of his contemporaries (King, Milburn, Chapman, Hunt, Podsiadly, Blake), his feelings around the whole Gary Ablett situation and his thoughts on Nathan Ablett, whom Mooney had previously described as the biggest waste of talent he had ever seen and that he could have been 'the best out of the lot of them' (though whether that includes his dad is unclear). Come to think of it, the interview barely touched on his teammates, which I would have found pretty interesting.

DAE think they should have a iphone with pre recorded question from miuke? Seriously does he offer any new insights? I used to like this show a few years ago..but now its just Mike trying really hard to concentrate on the players scandals and his time in the VFL if he was a player from the 80s.

And why does Mike make it a point to find out how much a player earned from any dealings he had. Why is such an important thing for mike and his audience to know. I really couldnt care if so and so earned x amount of money.

DAE think they should have a iphone with pre recorded question from miuke? Seriously does he offer any new insights? I used to like this show a few years ago..but now its just Mike trying really hard to concentrate on the players scandals and his time in the VFL if he was a player from the 80s.

And why does Mike make it a point to find out how much a player earned from any dealings he had. Why is such an important thing for mike and his audience to know. I really couldnt care if so and so earned x amount of money.

Fair point. When Mooney said that he was offered 700-750k for three years at the end of 2002, I had no idea whether I was supposed to be impressed by that figure and whether it was a big contract for the time or not. It doesn't really interest me that much, unless it's specifically the reason for a player leaving a club.

would like to see plugger but would never happened

some I think would be good/interesting

tony modra - 93 season, missing 97 and 98, going to freo,cornes/shaw/blight comparison
matthew primus - going through Fitzroy demise as a young player/missing 04 flag/taking over Williams and his time as coach
terry Wallace - would need an hour. playing days/bulldogs start to finish/Richmond times
matty knights - Richmond days, coach after coach after coach, times at Essendon
either of the maddens
dale weightman - surely would have some classic S.O.O stories
ben graham - times at geelong/gary senior gary junior/making the switch to nfl

surprised gerard healy hasn't been on yet or brad Johnson

has everitt been on? seemed to always be at the wrong club at the wrong time

I thought Mooney's was great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back