Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

John Butler Trio in April. Woo. :)

Saw Butler by himself in 2012 and he was amazing.

Got Groovin the Moo festival on May 3rd then Arctic Monkeys on May 9th at Rod Laver. General admin tickets too :):D

Is anyone considering the St Vincent sidey she just announced? End of April, a little jaunt down here before her VIVID show. It's up at Howler in Brunswick. Has anyone been there before? Looks pretty geometric and like something that'll compliment her new, cubic looking stage show. Intimate looking too...

Is anyone considering the St Vincent sidey she just announced? End of April, a little jaunt down here before her VIVID show. It's up at Howler in Brunswick. Has anyone been there before? Looks pretty geometric and like something that'll compliment her new, cubic looking stage show. Intimate looking too...
Just personal taste I am not going, but I'm sure it would be good.

But I've been to Howler and its a great venue. Really nice layout and relaxed atmosphere.

Hunters & Collectors last night in King's Park. Mark Seymour's voice was struggling, but as long as he had the band bashing along behind him it really didn't matter. Great energy for a bunch of (self-declared) old buggers. Set list was all over the place in structure by the end but there apparently were technical issues which were screwing them around.

Something for Kate were good value in support.

Boogie Festival tomorrow - been locked up for weeks working in studying, going to be one helluva blow-out

Seeing Pixies on the 23rd of May at the Sydney Opera House. To say I am ******* pumped is an understatement. Their records have been the soundtrack to my twenties. The only downside is that Kim Deal is no longer in the band :( I'm also seeing Propaghandi in June so good times all round :D

Instrumental rockers Russian Circles, next Wednesday. Saw them in 2012, hell they were loud. Should be good.

Nothing else on horizon unfortunately. Perhaps a trip to Melbourne to see Anathema later in year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Instrumental rockers Russian Circles, next Wednesday. Saw them in 2012, hell they were loud. Should be good.

Nothing else on horizon unfortunately. Perhaps a trip to Melbourne to see Anathema later in year.
Russian Circles are amazing live I reckon.

Saw the John Butler Trio in Hobart. Wow. Just wow. :)

Disclosure on Friday! If anyone here is at their show right now, a bit of a review would be nice. I hate drinking when I'm going out to things that aren't a nightclub but I think this might be worth it.

Also, my girl Sky Ferreira just quietly put a few dates out and she's playing the Prince in mid-July. Looking forward to that, her album is one of the most unfairly unheard LPs of the last few years. It'll be worth the likely lone-gigging.

Disclosure on Friday! If anyone here is at their show right now, a bit of a review would be nice. I hate drinking when I'm going out to things that aren't a nightclub but I think this might be worth it.

Also, my girl Sky Ferreira just quietly put a few dates out and she's playing the Prince in mid-July. Looking forward to that, her album is one of the most unfairly unheard LPs of the last few years. It'll be worth the likely lone-gigging.
I don't like your new avatar.

Just thought you would like to know...

I just got home from seeing Disclosure. It was basically a mixed bag in terms of everything, but still a really good night and a fine way to fill in a Friday. Worth it.

The Forum's a nice place, I'd never been before and it's pretty impressive in its scope and grandiosity. The sound isn't that good but whatever. Anyway, before the show started I just sussed out the crowd... some incredibly cool girls around and then plenty of drunken arseholes looking for a fight and to annoy whoever they could. A bit later on and this odour wafted through the place and me and my mate looked at one another and just as I was about to say something, he goes "I reckon someone's just thrown up..." Sure enough, some poor lass had painted the floor in her ciders. That put a weird vibe on the place but they managed to clean it up and they came on.

They have one of the best light shows I've seen but not much else. A few nerds like me might enjoy seeing them actually program the music right then and there, but for most people it was dull and they got bored of two guys standing behind a cache of synthesisers. And without the material to pad out a setlist, a majority of the crowd just stayed stagnant. There were periods of some head nodding and shoulder shimmies but mostly conversations and texting. Their three big singles and You & Me went down really well, but it was so dead – I just don't get how a dance band can do that. They need to up the involvement somehow because, even though people don't know all the songs (they played early and incredibly good live double A-Side Tenderly and Flow) they are a dance band and should be able to inspire that.

And the way they spoke to the crowd was phoned in. It was the "hello Melbourne!" and the old "you're the best crowd of the tour so far!" which they say to all the girls. But everyone knew it, even the kids who usually fall for it.

Latch went off and was incredibly fun, so many pogos and some good shapes and most people got up and down and enjoyed jumping around.

It was a fun show, but it seemed to lack the spirit. I still needed a Gatorade and Skittles after the show to get some water and sugar into my system but I wasn't drowned in sweat like I usually am after a show. Fair enough if you're going to see Sufjan Stevens but tonight I saw Disclosure. I want the sweat.

They'll really benefit with a couple more albums. Musically, sure, they're young guys, but it'll just fill in the setlists so much better.

I just got home from seeing Disclosure. It was basically a mixed bag in terms of everything, but still a really good night and a fine way to fill in a Friday. Worth it.

The Forum's a nice place, I'd never been before and it's pretty impressive in its scope and grandiosity. The sound isn't that good but whatever. Anyway, before the show started I just sussed out the crowd... some incredibly cool girls around and then plenty of drunken arseholes looking for a fight and to annoy whoever they could. A bit later on and this odour wafted through the place and me and my mate looked at one another and just as I was about to say something, he goes "I reckon someone's just thrown up..." Sure enough, some poor lass had painted the floor in her ciders. That put a weird vibe on the place but they managed to clean it up and they came on.

They have one of the best light shows I've seen but not much else. A few nerds like me might enjoy seeing them actually program the music right then and there, but for most people it was dull and they got bored of two guys standing behind a cache of synthesisers. And without the material to pad out a setlist, a majority of the crowd just stayed stagnant. There were periods of some head nodding and shoulder shimmies but mostly conversations and texting. Their three big singles and You & Me went down really well, but it was so dead – I just don't get how a dance band can do that. They need to up the involvement somehow because, even though people don't know all the songs (they played early and incredibly good live double A-Side Tenderly and Flow) they are a dance band and should be able to inspire that.

And the way they spoke to the crowd was phoned in. It was the "hello Melbourne!" and the old "you're the best crowd of the tour so far!" which they say to all the girls. But everyone knew it, even the kids who usually fall for it.

Latch went off and was incredibly fun, so many pogos and some good shapes and most people got up and down and enjoyed jumping around.

It was a fun show, but it seemed to lack the spirit. I still needed a Gatorade and Skittles after the show to get some water and sugar into my system but I wasn't drowned in sweat like I usually am after a show. Fair enough if you're going to see Sufjan Stevens but tonight I saw Disclosure. I want the sweat.

They'll really benefit with a couple more albums. Musically, sure, they're young guys, but it'll just fill in the setlists so much better.

Stage presence is their only issue, that and that those 3/4 ultra popular songs are so well known, while the rest of their stuff is relatively under appreciated but probably the bulk of the crowd who have cottoned to aforementioned Latch/White Noise/When a fire starts to burn.

I've seen them a few times now (Forum last year, Listen out festival) and was again in the crowd on the weekend @ GTM, just unfortunately didn't wow me with anything really different, outside of the awesome lighting effects

A question for people that regularly go to live music in Melbourne:

What's the best and easiest way to stay up to date with who's touring? I find that I only realise a favourite band of mine is playing once they're here and tickets are already sold out.

fasterlouder.com.au and tonedeaf.com.au are pretty good for news/announcements, frontiertouring.com handle a lot of big ticket events and also offer pre-sale on some of their gigs.

Other than that, get around the street press: Beat or Inpress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back