Welcome: Which games do you have or want?

Remove this Banner Ad

What are your thoughts on Letters to Whitechapel? I've purchased it and had a bit of a read through the rules and it seems a bit full on for my liking. Considering selling it without giving it a go as it'll be too hard to find people interested in it for me by the look of it.

I really like it. For me its a relatively light game that still is very interesting. It has a lot of tension and very much a feeling of cat and mouse. The rules seem more complex when you read them than they really are when you play it out. If one person understands the rules well it's not hard for that person to explain them as needed to the other player(s).

Bought Smash Up a few days ago, have played a couple of trial run throughs in preparation for actually playing it tonight. Seems really solid.

pic1269874_md.jpg

Have got Settlers, Risk, BSG (original), Axis and Allies 1941 and others.

Used to have the old RPG game for the movie 'Aliens' which I played as a billy no mates in high school with other BNMs. When I moved out of home my mum threw it out along with all my other RPG stuff which I'd kill to have again now. That Aliens game is quite pricey online.

I bought some clown Pandemic as a wedding present but he bought it for himself later that day, so I now own Pandemic. Seriously good fun, I wasn't aware of Co-op style board games but will definitely be buying a few more shortly. Highly recommend for those that haven't played it :thumbsu:

The best thing about that game is the fact it's quick fire too so you can play it a heap of times in one sitting.

As I understand it, the expansion is vital in that it adds a 5th player, but more importantly limits quarterbacking a lot more than the original.

Most of the comments I see about Pandemic, from a forum admittedly filled with elitists, is that the game is too easily dominated by that one person, even more so if that one person is a gamer introducing it to non gamers.

I still own it though, because sometimes those elitists are wrong :thumbsu:

I bought some clown Pandemic as a wedding present but he bought it for himself later that day, so I now own Pandemic. Seriously good fun, I wasn't aware of Co-op style board games but will definitely be buying a few more shortly. Highly recommend for those that haven't played it :thumbsu:
You seem down in the dumps about ending up with a great game. Perhaps you should thank that clown whoever he may be.

Went shopping on the Games Paradise site - picked up Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Cube Quest and Pandemic.

Slowly shoving framed pictures and knick-knacks off the lounge room bookshelves...

Most of the comments I see about Pandemic, from a forum admittedly filled with elitists, is that the game is too easily dominated by that one person, even more so if that one person is a gamer introducing it to non gamers.

I still own it though, because sometimes those elitists are wrong :thumbsu:

BGG? I love, and support it - but I've learned not to get too hung up on what people say or how they rate games. If your playing group are all introverts and high-functioning Aspies, sure ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slowly shoving framed pictures and knick-knacks off the lounge room bookshelves...

I got a 4x4 Expedit bookshelf from Ikea, it's the most recommended set of shelves for games and I can see why :thumbsu:

BGG? I love, and support it - but I've learned not to get too hung up on what people say or how they rate games. If your playing group are all introverts and high-functioning Aspies, sure ;)

Actually, I meant the Trad Games forum on SomethingAwful.com but I occasionally go to BGG for reviews and such too ;)

Anyone got Spartacus? Great game.
With a full contingent and the the Add on, its a cracking game.

I've played it, very amusing. When you run out of gladiators they can send out your slaves who have to fight. My prostitute slave was forced to take on Spartacus and took a spear to the face. One hit kill :(

'Twas hilarious!

I got a 4x4 Expedit bookshelf from Ikea, it's the most recommended set of shelves for games and I can see why :thumbsu:
We have a couple of 5x5s and they are chockas with books, kids toys, knick knacks etc. I am slowly taking over the top of the one in the lounge and saying stuff like "do the kids play with those toys any more?"

Actually, I meant the Trad Games forum on SomethingAwful.com but I occasionally go to BGG for reviews and such too ;)

I'm more a fan of 4chan's /tg/ (Traditional Games) forum. There's usually a lot of stuff going on there, and its probably one of the more tame corners of 4chan

A good mate of mine has a sh**load of different games. One that gets a regular run among a few of us is Judge Dredd (GW 1982). I believe it's out of print now, but still available through eBay.

I've got that one! Some of the crime/perp/locations combinations are a bit odd, but it's still a very playable game. We have one house rule which is that Judge Death is always committing murder, regardless of which crime he's paired with.

I've also got (excluding the usual Monopoly, Scrabble etc that everyone has):

Munchkin (plus 2 expansions) and Munchkin Cthulhu (plus 2 expansions)
Chaos Marauders
Diplomacy
Fury of Dracula
Kingmaker
Credo
King Arthur's Knights
Junta
Nuclear War (plus Nuclear Escalation expansion)

Anyone else ever played those last two? They're both extremely fun, if a little cynical. In Junta, all players are cabinet ministers in the Republic de los Bananas. The object of the game is to appropriate the most foreign aid money and stash it in your Swiss bank account. In Nuclear War, the aim of the game is to nuke everyone else. The player with a surviving population - of any size - wins! Occasionally everyone is wiped out and the cockroaches win.

I've got that one! Some of the crime/perp/locations combinations are a bit odd, but it's still a very playable game. We have one house rule which is that Judge Death is always committing murder, regardless of which crime he's paired with.
The house rule we use is that we play until all crimes have been 'resolved' and off the board. I think the game rules say you stop once all crimes have been put on the board.

Have added a few more since my initial post:-

One night ultimate werewolf
Hanabi
Bang dice
Kakerlakenpoker
Mascarade
For sale
Hoity Toity

Really enjoy kakerlakenpoker, normally play with the missus and 12 + 7 year olds. Very easy for them to get into, and the little buggers are getting good at bluffing.

Got in Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Cube Quest and Pandemic this week.

We've played all of them. Totally failed at Pandemic, won the two Forbiddens (although really we were one water off winning FD) and disappointed by Cube Quest as the playing mat is really creased and I need to go through some ironing process to flatten it or cubes just bounce off into the air when they hit the lumps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back