Overlooked Draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Wondering what some of last years graduates who were overlooked are doing this year? how they are going? possibly keep track of them in here for the year?

For mine, I've seen a number of young Aaron Heppel's (Dyson's brother whose playing for the VFL Bombers this year) games. Tenacious, nuggety little onballer who has found his niche in the back line has been good the last two weeks.

Ben Cavarra, the highly touted small midfielder who has a CV has long as Barrack Obama's war room is another whom I've snuck a couple of games in has been handy for the Dolphins.

Caught Sam Heavyside's game for the Bendigo gold on the weekend and he is one I'll be keeping an eye on for the rest of the season. Not afraid to get his hands dirty and loves to tackles. The nuggety onballer has accumulated some decent numbers for the gold this year.

Jake Owen & Anthony Anastasio are two names from the TAC cup in 2013 who did some nice things throughout the year, have come into the VFL senior sides and seemingly taken hold of there chances. Owen has kicked 6 goals from his 4 games whilst the opportunistic Anastasio has snagged 8 of his own in 2 games.

Wondering where some of the other 2013 graduates are at for season 2014? any returning to the TAC Cup as overages? anyone doing good things at the various state levels? any returned to local footy after serving there apprenticeship in the structured world of U18 elite football?

Would love to know how some of the interstate guys who were rated highly are going ?

Erin Wasley-Black has been playing for NT in the NEAFL. Saw he had a very nice game the week before last against Gold Coast where he picked up 24 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles and 4 clearances. I think he has the tools to be a nice AFL player and if he keeps up with those kinds of performances I would expect that to happen sooner rather than later.

Erin Wasley-Black has been playing for NT in the NEAFL. Saw he had a very nice game the week before last against Gold Coast where he picked up 24 disposals, 5 marks, 3 tackles and 4 clearances. I think he has the tools to be a nice AFL player and if he keeps up with those kinds of performances I would expect that to happen sooner rather than later.
He was on gws radar for a long time but dropped off due to poor performances. Would love to see him in our colors

This was a guy who as mentioned seemed to have all the tools to be a very good AFL player. He was in the AIS - AFL from memory?

What happened to that tall red head kid who is super injury prone but was talked up as a chance to get selected?

Darcy Cameron is leading Claremonts ruck division ahead of Mark Seaby already.

Thomas Shanahan hasn't done quite enough to get drafted. Can't be too far away from playing League for East Perth and proving his value.

Ben Sokol is playing reserves and league and doing well. Had 24 touches and 3 goals in the reserves last week.

Timothy Kelly who has now been overlooked twice is playing really well for South Fremantle league side.

any south aussies been keeping tabs on Darcy Hourigan?

If he can get himself skinnier and more mobile i reckon he could be a very handy forward

Hourigan had a really good preseason for South Adelaide, but injury has kept him off the park so far in the early rounds. I don't think he'll ever get skinnier, he just doesn't have that body type. But from all reports, his fitness and work rate has already improved.

Is Conlon super injury prone? Or did he just break his leg?

He had another surgery on his knee about a month back. Think they'll just be taking things super slowly this year, and make sure he is 100% before he returns. Believe he'll be playing TAC Cup as a 19 year old.

Darcy Cameron is leading Claremonts ruck division ahead of Mark Seaby already.

Still think it's crazy that Cameron wasn't drafted. Could have been a rookie pick, but clubs don't seem to want to develop ruckmen themselves. The other ruckman I would have drafted last year was Josh Miller from Glenelg, and he made his senior debut last weekend in the SANFL.

Hourigan had a really good preseason for South Adelaide, but injury has kept him off the park so far in the early rounds. I don't think he'll ever get skinnier, he just doesn't have that body type. But from all reports, his fitness and work rate has already improved.

He had another surgery on his knee about a month back. Think they'll just be taking things super slowly this year, and make sure he is 100% before he returns. Believe he'll be playing TAC Cup as a 19 year old.

Still think it's crazy that Cameron wasn't drafted. Could have been a rookie pick, but clubs don't seem to want to develop ruckmen themselves. The other ruckman I would have drafted last year was Josh Miller from Glenelg, and he made his senior debut last weekend in the SANFL.

Chris - How is Mitch Thorp looking at Glenelg? Has he taken the step up?

What position is playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been saying it for a while , would have been a real smart get for us. Last pick Rookie and if worst comes to worst he could have played a game or two. But as you say , it seem all clubs want to cherry pick and piggyback on other clubs development.

It makes me think that the AFL should have a special spot for 200+ ruck kids.

Have you ever watched Darcy for an extended period.

He's a very dumb footballer.

There is quite a bit to like about Darcy Cameron, but he taps to the front always. He does not aim his taps at all.
I think he has something to work with, but it will take a while to get him playing with real 'footy smarts'.

Not just as a footballer. Probably another reason clubs weren't too keen on him. There must've been something weird going on, and his parents were gutted when he never got picked up, but who doesn't pick a 202 centimetre ruckman who can actually kick and handball well? He's not some lumbering unco. It's weird.

With success of the Clubs trading for rucks like Maric, Jolly, Mumford, Hale, and Jacobs. Big guys take longer to develop and then after a few years they get poached by other clubs. No reason to wait and develop, better to just poach.

They get nabbed by other clubs. Most tall rucks do not make it and take up list space. Why develop a player when a club can take them under you?

Mature age rookie list player have a higher rate of making than a tall skinner kid.

I wouldn't pick a 18 kid after the second round of the National draft or rookie draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back