No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see that Melbourne have only had more scoring shots than their opposition once, that was in Rd 1 in which they lost. In the three games they won they have had less scoring shots, on two occasions (v Adelaide & v Richmond) they had quite a few less scoring shots.

Last edited:
Interesting to see that Melbourne have only had more scoring shots than their opposition, that was in Rd 1 in which they lost. In the three games they won they have had less scoring shots, on two occasions (v Adelaide & v Richmond) they had quite a few less scoring shots.
Not easy to score despite their attacking game plan; never has everybody behind the ball and always has forward options available. Chip, chip, chip long bomb to the boundary.

If we played with their enthusiasm and passion and had our crowds behind us like they do, we'd be much better for it.

Disagree that they've come as far as people seem to think under Roos. I walked out of that ground today thinking 'same old Melbourne' - crap skills, shit themselves under pressure, have the odd flash in the pan play (Howe hanger, first goal) and other than that, very ordinary.

I'm glad for the positive publicity around them because their supporters deserve better, but they're being sold a pup at the moment. I couldn't believe the talk of 'Roos the genius' on the radio on the way home.

If we played with their enthusiasm and passion and had our crowds behind us like they do, we'd be much better for it.

Disagree that they've come as far as people seem to think under Roos. I walked out of that ground today thinking 'same old Melbourne' - crap skills, shit themselves under pressure, have the odd flash in the pan play (Howe hanger, first goal) and other than that, very ordinary.

I'm glad for the positive publicity around them because their supporters deserve better, but they're being sold a pup at the moment. I couldn't believe the talk of 'Roos the genius' on the radio on the way home.
Agreed, at the end of the day they kicked 3 goals. You can look at it which way you like and talk about game styles and circumstances and but at the end of the day if you kick 3 goals in a game, you're not doing to great.

Can't agree that they have more passion and enthusiasm, sure we have games where were flat and its frustrating but the majority of the time our effort is whats keeping us in games.

Reminiscent of 2013 in that case.
Defensively they're 7 goals better off, but offensively they're woeful and stagnant.

In Roos defence, it's the media pumping up his tyres. His narrative around Melbourne's issues is almost exactly the same as macca's but in different wrapping paper. Melbourne and us look quite similar at the moment with similar issues around ball movement and a defensive and contested emphasis (sometimes works sometimes not given the experience of the lists). As one commentator noted, he's (Roos) is teaching them to play finals football and with a young developing team it looks ugly at times. I think we'll be better in the end though.

Fair call. I do think we'll be better in the end, because individually on their list I don't see anyone that will take a game by the scruff of the neck as I believe Liberatore, Hrovat, Dahlhaus and company can.

He's setting them on the right track to being a reasonably stable football club based on the non-negotiables and team ethics, but I'm not sure he or his successor are going to be able to do all that much more for some time yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Difference between us and Melbourne is they are understanding the coaches message more thoroughly and are better drilled.
Yep. Roos is getting them to consistently play their style and is drilling them with a methodology, a style of football. Whether or not it's successful you can't argue with the process.

Us, on the other hand, within the space of one season, we've dropped from being the best contested ball team to pretty much about the worst. With the same coach proclaiming the same style of coaching.

At least one thing's consistent - we've still got a dysfunctional forward line.

Hopefully Crameri doesn't get hit with one (But let's say the worst happens, then it would be pretty handy to have upgraded a certain KPF rather than a certain defender)

Hopefully Crameri doesn't get hit with one (But let's say the worst happens, then it would be pretty handy to have upgraded a certain KPF rather than a certain defender)
Can't we upgrade another rookie at a certain point in the season anyway? And I'm not sure what the ruling would be but I'd imagine the AFL would allow us to upgrade someone if the worst happens.
But the likelihood is that it won't be resolved this season anyway.

If it follows the timeline in the Contador case then it will drag out for years. Even then he was allowed to ride in 2011 as his appeal was continuing. Finally found guilty and in reality missed only a few months.

If it follows the timeline in the Contador case then it will drag out for years. Even then he was allowed to ride in 2011 as his appeal was continuing. Finally found guilty and in reality missed only a few months.
Has to be a possibility. Any relevance to the Greg Williams case regarding appeals?

Crameri will reach 50 games in the red white and blue before he is sanctioned, if ever. Would be more concerned for the staff and administrators.

Can't we upgrade another rookie at a certain point in the season anyway? And I'm not sure what the ruling would be but I'd imagine the AFL would allow us to upgrade someone if the worst happens.

have heard this before so just did a search, and found this on the EFC website from last year of all places, very hard to find anything definitive.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-06-13/dons-to-ponder-rookie-elevation
Essendon will weigh up whether to elevate one of four rookies to the senior list over the next few weeks under AFL rules allowing clubs to do so after Round 11.

Under the rule a club can nominate a rookie to play in the AFL halfway through the season and still have the ability to promote another should a player be placed on the long-term injury list.

Essendon’s four rookies Ariel Steinberg, Cory Dell’Olio, Hal Hunter and Lachlan Dalgleish are in line for elevation.

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro said the club was yet to make a decision on who and when they would make a promotion.

“As of round 11 clubs can elevate a rookie to their senior list if they have room in their total player payments,” Dodoro said.

There is also a rule where a player can take a year off due to exceptional or compassionate grounds and acts like a LTI.

Even if he has a show cause notice. That doesn't stop him from playing. Anyone have news from the Amanda Crameri Facebook?

Show cause isn't a charge or suspension. It's simply a chance for someone to demonstrate why they shouldn't be charged. So if they are able to convince the right people that there isn't a case for them to answer then they won't waste their time pursuing the matter any further. From what I've read there could be up to 34 players affected (14 of them are no longer in the AFL system, another 2 apart from Crameri [Gumbleton, Monfries] aren't at Essendon) so if the bulk of those are guilty parties then it may not affect the club on field long term as many hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back