Retired David Armitage

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Player Reviews

ARMITAGE, David
David+Armitage+L1jsXtdLAkAm.jpg

Saints up-and-coming star David Armitage has had a breakout year. The skilled midfielder has cemented his spot in the Saints best 22 and showed that he has the ability to become one of the AFL's best midfielders. As expected, Armitage's disposal numbers have improved as a direct effect of finding consistency and increased opportunity under a new coach.
One particular area in Armitage's game that has significantly improved is his ball-winning ability. 'Armo' has disposed of the football 426 times (ranking David 5th at St Kilda) at an average of over 20 possessions per game. Armitage's inside work has been brilliant, he had 79 clearances and 164 contested possessions, ranking 5th at St Kilda in both. Armitage's tackling also ranks him 5th at the Saints. Armitage has taken 100 marks, putting him equal 4th at St Kilda. David has also kicked 17 goals at almost a goal a game. This is a magnificent return for the midfielder.
David Armitage will be keen to continue his brilliant form into 2013. He has taken a big step this season, and he definitely has the potential to become one of the competition's elite midfielders in the next few years. Armitage's improvement is a big positive for a Saints midfield oozing talent.

Aha, last two posts have been the 2011 and 2012 review.

Least he had 'breakout' seasons in both of them.

More to come next year :D

Averaged 20.3 touches, 4.7 tackles and almost a goal a game.

9th in the B&F just ahead of his good mate Jack Jack.

2013 a career defining season?

The Saint who came in from the cold

By Jennifer Phelan

JUST OVER two years ago, St Kilda midfielder David Armitage decided he would do whatever it took to ensure he was no longer considered a fringe player.

Now, having played 43 games in the past two seasons and with the support and belief of coach Scott Watters, Armitage is in the club's leadership group and is becoming an important part of the midfield set-up.

Back in 2010, Armitage played nine games and suffered a knee injury in the second half of the season that saw him not picked for the finals.

His luck was better in 2011, but when Watters arrived at the club that October he wasted no time emphasising that Armitage had to improve.

"There was probably a very early juncture with 'Armo' and I having a conversation, just on his level of professionalism and what he needed to do to actually fulfil his potential and promise," Watters told AFL.com.au.

"He really took that on board and from that point, I thought his understanding of what it was going to take for him to elevate himself as a player, the standards he needed to train at and the way he needed to view his overall presentation and preparation, there was a significant change."

Armitage was drafted at No.9 overall in the 2006 NAB AFL Draft but struggled to hold down a senior spot in the early stages of his career.

"A lot of the time in my first four or five years I always doubted myself and didn't think I was good enough to play," he said.

"I just accepted being a fringe player and I was just happy to be a fringe player.

"Then as you get older, you start to think, 'I don't really want to be this – I either want to play or I don't'."

He played 22 games in 2011, but admitted he struggled to run out games and lacked the fitness to make a consistent impact.

Last year he played 21 games but was rested in round 22 and spent more time in the forward line as he tired towards the season's end.

Still, he felt better about himself. As Watters' influence took root he began to feel more comfortable at senior level.

"He really gave me confidence and coming from another club, he told me he'd rated me from outside," Armitage said.

"Just at training, if I made a mistake I was ready for a spray and he just pulled me aside – and he did that with a lot of blokes, Sean Dempster, Jimmy Gwilt – and said, 'I'm not going to get up you if you make a mistake, as long as you make a mistake and try to do something good'.

"I started to back myself in a bit more and hit different kicks and it started paying off.

"You need confidence as a player otherwise you're going to drop your head and it will just start creeping in and eats away at you."

Watters said the credit belonged to Armitage for changing his approach. The 24-year-old now pays more attention to one percenters and the little things when away from the club
The hard-bodied midfielder can improve again this year, Watters said, after a pre-season that has left him in "terrific nick".

"Sometimes as a coach you have to make sure the player knows you have a vision for them and that you're prepared to walk alongside them to get them to that point," Watters said.

"I believe in him as a player but ultimately he's been responsible for forging forward.

"I certainly have a lot of faith that he can still get better, as well."
1_TR090213SG%2071.jpg

Armitage will enter this season fitter and stronger after a pre-season that started with what he believes was a hugely beneficial altitude training trip to Colorado in November and December.

His NAB Cup outings have already demonstrated his physical improvement.

"I normally cramp and I'm not able to run out games at this time of the year," Armitage said.

"It's something I've struggled with in the past. Now, I've run out third and fourth quarters like it was the first and second quarters.

"In the last two years I've really worked hard on my footy and the professional side of things.

"I had a really good season last year but I can't get happy with that. I've got to go one better this year and I'm really looking forward to that."

Armitage says he signed a long term deal to stay at the club until 2016 because he anticipates an era of success.

"We have got guys like Wright, Saunders and Murdoch and they (the club's leaders) are showing them the ropes and what to do out there on game day."

"I have always loved the club and they have been good to me, so it's good to repay the faith."

"I don't think we will be too far away, we have got some young kids coming through, so it's really exciting."

A-Grade Armitage

The 24-year-old had a point to prove on Sunday against West Coast, and he played like it.
“It was a return to a really strong leadership performance [for Armitage],” St Kilda coach Scott Watters said post-game.
“I thought he led really strongly, his first quarter was very good and I do see him as a really strong future leader of the football club.”
The left-footer collected 22 disposals and had three rebound 50s, but it was his work defensively that best exemplified his tremendous leadership capabilities.
Armitage laid 12 tackles, just shy of his career-high 13 in 2009. Time after time he wrestled Scott Selwood and Matthew Priddis down, limiting the in-and-under ball use that has propelled West Coast to one of the best clearance teams in the competition this year.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-06-10/agrade-armitage-

290492-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Vintage Armo tackle.

Markworth looks a ghost compared to Armo there.

'Avs' I should say.

#20 - David Armitage

DOB: 16/06/1988
Height: 183cm
Weight: 87kg
2013 Games: 21
Career Games: 92

Coming into his 6th year with St Kilda, hopes had become expectations for the hard-bodied midfielder. With the recent movings on of Ball and Goddard, and the ageing midfield line of Hayes, Montagna and Dal Santo; David Armitage and Jack Steven suddenly became two of St Kilda's more important players.

Heading into 2013, David signed a contract extension which would see him remain with the club until the end of 2016. Along with promotion to the leadership group it was clear that Armo was highly rated by the club and well respected by his peers. Despite a tough year for the team, it's difficult to say he didn't reach those expectations.

287060-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

Celebrating a goal against Carlton

For the third consecutive season David managed to play all but one of St Kilda's matches and has thoroughly cemented his spot in the midfield - something which was of fierce debate only two seasons ago. He started the year in fine form with 25 touches and a goal against the Gold Coast in Round 1 and followed it up with a career best performance against the Giants two weeks later - 31 touches, 8 marks and 4.1.

Season 2013 Stats:
Kicks: 11.8
Handballs: 10.0
Disposals: 21.8
Tackles: 5.5

As has been the trend throughout his career, Armitage would tend to show flashes of brilliance (or indeed, entire games of brilliance) only to follow it up with a sub-par performance. After the GWS match, David followed up his career best with 19 and 11 touches respectively against Essendon and Sydney. In the 6 games following the GWS performance, he managed to break the 20 possession mark twice - and only barely; with 20 and 22 possession performances in Rounds 6 and 7.

However Round 11 brought much better consistency from my man, falling below 20 possessions just once and averaging 23.2 touches per game thereafter. Putting him just about on par with Dal Santo. The one thing that never lets Armo down though, is his tackling. He has been a tackling machine throughout his career and 2013 he was clearly our most prolific tackler. At 5.5 tackles per game he was well clear of the rest of the team with noone who completed a full season averaging above 4 tackles. (of course Lenny managed 4.57 - still showing them how it's done!)

After his finest year to date, Armitage was rewarded with his first top 5 finish in the Best & Fairest. Just below Jarryn Geary and behind eventual winner Jack Steven. So despite the seemingly massive age gap in our list - it's good to see the few who do remain actually doing well.

Armo might have had his best year to date but there is still much room for improvement. Many have suggested this is the best we will see of the #20 (which is not bad by any means) but with improved consistency, no more random 15 possession matches, getting on the scoreboard a little more often as he's proved he can...and a better haircut. There's no doubt he can have a much improved 2014.

I listened to that interview with Armo last night obviously we all talk about trading him but to me he sounds like he loves St Kilda a heap..

Also again Richo rates his leadership highly, i'm convinced he'll either be our captain or co-captain with Geary soon.

Anyway congrats Armo, well deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im expecting alot from Armo in 2015. The back half of 2014 he showed he can be a top shelf inside mid and, in the first year after Lenny (1AL), I see him hitting that level on a full time basis.

Armo does look in great shape. A couple of his holiday tweets have photos that show he is ripped! It would be great to have him back at his best. I would really like to see him stay on his feet a little more in the contested ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back