Retired David Armitage

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2
Hamill says

David Armitage
23 disposals, nine tackles, one goal
“Armitage was really strong in the midfield. I thought he started off well, his first half was significant and he battled hard all day. I think him and Luke Dunstan were probably our better mids and got their hands on it, so they’ll be proud of their efforts.”

David Armitage
26 disposals, 10 tackles, seven clearances, one goal
“He was outstanding again, Armo. Clearly his leadership is first-class and his effort and ability to execute under pressure was outstanding for us. I thought him and Luke Dunstan were significant for us and had a heavy influence on the game.”

David Armitage
14 disposals, 10 kicks, three tackles

“Solid again, Armo. Had a heavy tag inside, was able to work through that and gave us really good composure. But we thought late his leadership was good, we felt he contributed strongly in the midfield and worked hard.”

David Armitage
17 disposals, four tackles, one goal

“Went down with concussion which was unfortunate for us, halfway through the third. He’ll go through the normal protocol, but he’s been outstanding for us over the past few weeks.”

Don’t Panic !!

David Armitage
29 disposals, 15 kicks, three tackles, one goal
“Armo’s inside work was really strong for us, but he had more uncontested possessions than contested which was pleasing for him. His work rate and ability to get on the outside was first-rate, so on the whole, it was a really good one from Dave. What we were able to do with Dave, [Brede] Seccull and [Hunter] Clark was pleasing. Clearly their inside work speaks for itself, and we were +53 for uncontested possessions all over the ground and +20 through the midfield, so Dave played a critical part in that. From his inside work, to his outside work and outside spread and shape, it was first-class, and he’s in really good form and it’s pleasing he’s continuing on his way.”

David Armitage
20 disposals, 17 kicks, seven tackles

“Another impressive performance today from Dave. It’s a good duo [with Hannebery] in there – trio with Brede Seccull – but I really, really liked his inside stuff. The thing with Dave is that we’ve probably seen another dimension of his game in terms of his footy nous with not having a ruckman. His ability to shark at the right time and ability to lead and marshal the troops was critical for us again today up against a bonafide ruckman. I thought he controlled the game for us well by foot and because he’s got good game nous, he was able to do that.”

Don’t Panic !!

Veteran David Armitage would add a wealth of experience and has the ability to play off the half-back line and through the midfield.

The 169-gamer has only played the two games this season, but the highly-respected Saint has been a strong leader in developing St Kilda’s up-and-coming talents in the VFL.

Armitage bids farewell
saints.com.au
Aug 22, 2019 10:04AM

David Armitage has called time on his career after 169 games in the red, white and black. - St Kilda Saints,David Armitage

David Armitage has called time on his career after 169 games in the red, white and black.
Related

St Kilda veteran David Armitage’s 13-year career at St Kilda will draw to a close this season.
Armitage joined the club with pick 9 in the 2006 National Draft and quickly established himself as a fan favourite, renowned for his fearless attack on the ball.
After signs of his talent through the Grand Final era of 2009-2010, the courageous midfielder became a regular in the Saints engine room in 2011.
The 31-yar-old enjoyed his best season in 2015, where he finished second in the Trevor Barker Award, averaging 28 possessions per game.
Unfortunately, injuries took their toll in recent years, with the No.20 bowing out with 169 games in the red, white and black.
“I felt embraced by the club the second I walked in the door,” Armitage said.
“I feel very honoured to have played for this great club for 13 years and I’ll treasure the friendships I have made along the way.
“I could not have achieved any of it without the support from my family, friends, teammates and coaches, and I thank them for everything they have done for me”
“I also want to thank the St Kilda fans for their support. I have loved meeting so many of you over the years.”
Armitage said he left knowing the club was in a strong position.
“I’m really excited about where this current group of players can take things,” Armitage said.
“There are a lot of guys starting to make their mark and I will be watching closely over the coming seasons.
“I’m not fully closing the door on football just yet, and who knows what will happen next, but I’m leaving the Saints knowing I gave absolutely everything I had.”
General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Armitage had given great service to the club.
“Dave should be incredibly proud of what he was able to achieve in his time at the Saints,” Lethlean said.
“His past few years have unfortunately been hampered by injury, but at his prime he was right up there with the best midfielders in the game.
“Despite the setbacks, he has continued to be a huge presence at the club, helping drive a culture that can deliver success in the coming years.
“We wish Dave, his fiancé Jessie and son Parker all the best for the future. They will forever be part of the Saints family.”
Armitage remains sidelined with concussion symptoms and will travel to Sydney this weekend in a non-playing capacity.
His career at St Kilda will be celebrated at the Trevor Barker Award on Wednesday September 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought you guys might be interested to find out that David Armitage has decided to head home to Queensland by signing on to play for Palm Beach Currumbin in the QAFL in 2023. I'm guessing he and his partner have decided they want to settle on the Gold Coast where they will raise their young boy and any other future children. Palm Beach Currumbin would be considered one of the stronger teams in the QAFL these days so it's entirely possible Armo will taste some premiership success next year but I do find it interesting that he chose to not head back to his junior club Morningside. I suppose he just preferred the beach lifestyle of the Gold Coast over anything Brisbane has to offer.

oKlJMGI.jpg

Thought you guys might be interested to find out that David Armitage has decided to head home to Queensland by signing on to play for Palm Beach Currumbin in the QAFL in 2023. I'm guessing he and his partner have decided they want to settle on the Gold Coast where they will raise their young boy and any other future children. Palm Beach Currumbin would be considered one of the stronger teams in the QAFL these days so it's entirely possible Armo will taste some premiership success next year but I do find it interesting that he chose to not head back to his junior club Morningside. I suppose he just preferred the beach lifestyle of the Gold Coast over anything Brisbane has to offer.

oKlJMGI.jpg

Yep , we always knew he'd be heading back there.

Yep , we always knew he'd be heading back there.
Yeah? I would have thought after 15 years of living in Melbourne that he'd be just as likely to stay in Victoria. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's back in Queensland but I can't say I was expecting it. Nick Riewoldt has been in Victoria for 20+ years now and I certainly don't expect him to return to Queensland any time soon, or at all for that matter.

Yeah? I would have thought after 15 years of living in Melbourne that he'd be just as likely to stay in Victoria. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's back in Queensland but I can't say I was expecting it. Nick Riewoldt has been in Victoria for 20+ years now and I certainly don't expect him to return to Queensland any time soon, or at all for that matter.

Kind of ironic i thought.

Every trade period it was always going to be "David Armitage has a go home factor, we'll be trading him to Gold Coast " ( Home town Mackay around 1000km from Gold Coast ). If we'd known how the end of his career would go we'd have pushed for it.

We at least might get a father son out of him
Parker Amitage will be draft eligible in 2037. I assume we'll see a similar situation to Spida Everitt with son Boston where the Armitages will raise their family on the Gold Coast and Parker likely ends up in the Suns academy as well as St Kilda's father-son academy ala Boston Everitt over the last 12 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back