FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard an interview today on 3AW with Sheahan and Lloyd, where Mike said he looks forward to interviewing Lloyd on Open Mike soon, so we might cop the Velvet Sledgehammer before the end of this year.
WTF? I really don't care to hear from players that retired a couple years ago AND are still involved in football.

s**t choice. Rather hear from him in 10-20 years.

WTF? I really don't care to hear from players that retired a couple years ago AND are still involved in football.

s**t choice. Rather hear from him in 10-20 years.

Lloydy seems an uninspired choice if he is going to Open Mike him, given the guy has been on TV and radio since he retired 5 years ago, has written an autobiography and writes columns in the paper. Won't be a great deal about Lloydy's life that hasn't already been told.

Growing up in Essendon/Moonee Ponds/Ascot Vale in the 1970's, Ricky McLean and his brothers had a fearful reputation. They were bloody good footballers at Ascot Vale, especially Rick and younger brother Michael (father of Brock) who suffered debilitating knee injuries.

Great edition of Open Mike for those of us have vivid memories of Ricky McLean.

After enjoying the Ricky McLean OM interview and hearing Robbie McGhie's name being mentioned, I reckon Robbie McGhie would be a very interesting Open Mike guest. A very good player in a Richmond premiership team after crossing over from Footscray.

After leaving the VFL, Robbie McGhie played about 7 games for Brunswick in the VFA. I saw him get angry once and it was frightening. But a great bloke who was the life of the party.

If McGhie does get interviewed I would love for Mike Sheehan to bring up McGhie's coaching stint (West Footscray, St Albans, Spotswood) in the Footscray District League. I believe that in one finals match in the 1980's, he had his team run through the middle of an opposition warm up, causing mayhem pre-game.

Btw, This is Ricky McLean's obituary notice following the death of Tom Hafey in May. Gives one an insight to how much Tom meant to him.

HAFEY Tommy
Tommy Hafey, my coach, my mentor, my friend. You gave me hope when others failed to, you believed in me when others doubted, you were as dear to me as my father was Tommy. I've been fortunate enough to have a few great things happen to me in my life, one of them was to be born the son of Rod and Pattie McLean, another was to be coached and loved by one Tommy Hafey. I will be forever grateful that you and your family came into my life and the lives of the McLeans. Our last family get together, when we shared such a special night with my sons and grandchildren will be cherished forever. My grandchildren will revere you all their lives Tommy, and the McLeans will love you forever. To Maureen, her precious girls and all the Hafey family our hearts go out to you on the loss of our beloved Tommy. .. . as we often said Tommy, "family is everything. Goodbye Coach! You will live in our hearts forever. .. .. .. .. .. .. loved beyond words, missed beyond tears. .. . look after him Lord he was the best! #31

http://tributes.heraldsun.com.au/notice/47222144/view?random=1405993468405#sthash.Gp2upgEq.dpuf

Haven't watched it yet but from what I'm hearing just reconfirms my opinion about Mike interviewing anyone who has recently retired and is still involved with the game. That might be what Gen Z want to see but the rest of us want characters with a life story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't watched it yet but from what I'm hearing just reconfirms my opinion about Mike interviewing anyone who has recently retired and is still involved with the game. That might be what Gen Z want to see but the rest of us want characters with a life story.

Ricky talking of his run in with Melbourne Captain/Coach Carl Ditterich when Carl allegedly spat on him was intriguing to listen to. McLean took Ditterich to the ground and got stuck into him. Crackers Keenan, who was playing with Ditterich at Melbourne at the time, ran towards the blue. Ricky saw him and thought he was coming in to back up his coach, but when Crackers got there he told McLean he was there to see Carl get belted because Crackers didn't like Carl. McLean apparently gave Ditterich a decent 'touch up'.

Had to admit I was wondering, "Who the hell is Ricky McLean?" He only played 58 games. But it was an interesting interview just the same.
Same hear, he could play too, going by the interview. He seemed like a decent fella but when you hear about some of his ' friends', well it just makes you wonder.

He's got a whole documentary. His story has been done to death. Unless he focused purely on his playing career, it wouldn't interest me at all.

Mike seems to get answers out of people that documentaries and other things can't hide. It's 1 on 1 in a room, albeit, some editing takes place. But its very raw compared to any other type of interview medium.

They had a pretty good side, should've won at least 1 flag in that era. Todd knew what he was talking about it would seem, although I don't know what his reasoning was.
I guess he thought Snr. wasn't a hard worker? Either way though, not much point talking about Geelong never winning flags if he was there when it's logical to suggest he made them far more formidable on the field. Obviously Hawthorn had it's reason's for moving Ablett on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back