Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope to christ the kid never signed up to join Queanbeyan if he had wouldn't that void our ability to sign him as a Cat B rookie?

I had a similar thought. The article mentions that the game was a trial match so I would assume it was very informal and he did not have to register.

You would have to assume it was all above board otherwise we would not have been able to sign him.

My personal opinion is the huge ruckman is going to be extinct down the track for the "footballer" extra midfielder type ruckman anyhow so I want hold much hope for him...Maybe he can teach Hampson a few things??? :) clubs will slowly realize a ruckman should be like an extra midfielder.... ala Maric.
Yeah, that's been going to happen for 30 years.

No negatives with this news. Or at least, there shouldn't be...

g
Looks like he's played a game in the NEAFL unless there's another Ivan Soldo out there?

"The NEAFL Tigers unleashed 18 year old 204cm major position player Ivan Soldo whose sporting background is more akin to basketball than footy but as a developing ruckman showed outstanding promise in his first full game of AFL."

2014-Trail-v-Albury-Camp-009-168x300.jpg

Newcomer Ivan Soldo

more here
http://tigersclub.com.au/footballclub/neafl-tigers-too-strong-for-albury-tigers-2/

Looks good as a Tiger.

I am happy we got him under this situation. No need to chase any more ruckman atm IMO. Don't have to worry about go home factor, young enough to develop and not tread on others toes, and Maric will help him out so go home factor and adjusting should be negligible.

Smart move from the Tigers IMO. Now we just need to keep Griffiths!

Noticed some ex-RFC players played in the match so the would have an idea of how he went!:thumbsu:

Could someone please feel me in on how we can sign a rookie mid season?
I realise he wont be on our list until next season but how does this work?

Whats stopping Richmond signing Petracca or Wright as a rookie and then promoting them before the season starts?
Catorgory B rookie.
Its the same way Collingwood signed that American ruckman.

I think he's a better chance than half the kids that have played it all their life. Looking through the potential rucks this year, most are too short and not really much chop. At 204 cm he's already more than half a chance of winning a tap out, and he looks like the type that won't object to getting his kneed dirty when the ball hits the ground.

Pretty pumped by this! Kid looks like a massive unit and might still grow a few more cms. As has been said, we won't be looking to play him for a good couple of years anyway and with his cousin Maric there and also Big O and Vickery (who apparently have done some good mentoring for the younger guys this year), he'll have a lot of support to help him out.

The big thing for me is the attitude. Talent alone isn't enough and this kid seems like he'll give it his best show (plus with that Croatian competitive streak, he has all the tools to justify giving him a shot).

There would be some punters here I reckon champing at the bit to hang crap on the club for this decision after young Ivan Soldo goes kickless in his first Aussie rules outing in his life this weekend in muddy conditions at Morwell. Slagging off the club is a fetish for some people on here.
You think they'll wait to a practice match?

As a ruck, you don't necessarily need the same skills by foot that you need in all other roles. And as Pike has shown, working hard and learning quick can give you what you need to work in this position.

Don't expect to see him in the seniors for 4+, but a project I'm happy to back

Also if it makes Eeeevan happy, I'm not gunna disagree with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great bit of work Tiges!!

Very low cost and effectively no risk. Rookie wages, lots of time to work on him as a footballer, and he starts from an elite junior level as a basketballer. He is tall and strong. Being a basketballer he will have good mobility, nice hands and a good leap (being that he would be competing with guys his size or taller). So he starts fairly well advanced, except for footy skills themselves. If the club puts its full resources into him to teach him how to kick and position himself then we might do very well.

And he costs nothing, takes no one else's position. Very nice find. Ivan has the mullet, plays ruck, and is finder of young talent. Love it. :D

Yep. I reckon it's stupid. There are kids out there who have dreamt of playing AFL footy for their entire life and miss out. This bloke says "yeah, may as well give it a shot".

Is it that easy to get on a list now a days?

You realise this is about ticking boxes too.

If he was 190 cm and/or 25 years old I'm sure the club would pass.

But 204 cm, 106 kg and only 18 years old, with some sort of high level sporting background... it'd be crazy if the club ignored him, when it basically costs them next to nothing to try him out.

You realise this is about ticking boxes too.

If he was 190 cm and/or 25 years old I'm sure the club would pass.

But 204 cm, 106 kg and only 18 years old, with some sort of high level sporting background... it'd be crazy if the club ignored him, when it basically costs them next to nothing to try him out.
Nail on the head.

Our game has gone to the absolute s**t if this works. Kids play footy from 4 years of age and yet someone walks into Nth Knights off the street and gets a game. ffs.
You reckon Hampson looks like a goose playing footy?

its all about size and attitude, especially coming from basketball. mike pike never played a game before he got here, neither did jim stynes. I went to school with chris anstey, he was a tennis player in high school and started basketball late only because of his size.

There have been plenty of cases in the past where players have been able to adapt to our game taking across attributes and skills from a different game. Its worth the punt in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back