USA v Canada International Tournament 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Any more news on who's coming out? Didn't get to go last year but heard it was pretty ordinary so surprised it's back, are we expecting better games this time around or your general exhibition game?
http://internationalicehockey.com.au/

Emerson Etem has been confirmed. Looks like there will be more NHLers in the two team for this year's games compared to last years.

http://internationalicehockey.com.au/

Emerson Etem has been confirmed. Looks like there will be more NHLers in the two team for this year's games compared to last years.

Thanks for the link. Had a look and found a couple of other names- Kassian (Senators) and Cole (Blues). Canada's goalie is likely to be Tyler Bunz, Edmonton Oil Kings. He'll probably be drafted by the Oilers, so he's obviously good! ;) (There is some debate about whether they have recruited wisely over the last few seasons).

Will be going on friday, the missus got me tickets as a bday present. Looking forward to it. Only been able to get in one other live Ice Hockey game, saw the Sharks go down at home against the Maple Leafs a couple years back.

San Jose seems to be kind of like a kettle. Won't boil if you watch it.

Anyone know how ticket sales have gone? Don't want to be sitting in an empty Rod Laver Arena :(

Will be going on friday, the missus got me tickets as a bday present. Looking forward to it. Only been able to get in one other live Ice Hockey game, saw the Sharks go down at home against the Maple Leafs a couple years back.

San Jose seems to be kind of like a kettle. Won't boil if you watch it.
Yeah I'm going Friday too. Are you in the USA or Canada side?

I believe we're on the US side, but not totally certain. Inner-bowl seats though, since it's one of those horrible birthdays that has a "0" at the end of it.

Hope you don't have to experience the horror of needing the whole of one hand, or more, to count the number that precedes the '0'!

It wasn't bad.
First period = nothing worked
Second period = offence worked
Third period = defence semi-worked

The perils of opening night. First fight was probably scripted, but second fight was a situation you'd expect someone to drop the gloves for. Third fight I can't quite recall how it started.

It wasn't bad.
First period = nothing worked
Second period = offence worked
Third period = defence semi-worked

The perils of opening night. First fight was probably scripted, but second fight was a situation you'd expect someone to drop the gloves for. Third fight I can't quite recall how it started.
Yeah wasn't bad, the pregame went forever though and most people were getting sick of it. Huge Canadian support :)

10484242_765412366836058_809934121000851311_o.jpg

1940013_765412493502712_5329714697088250875_o.jpg

So glad I didn't fork out for this crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got back from the Melbourne one. Wasn't bad. US won 7-4.

Seemed like they were coasting a bit in the first period but it seemed to pick up the pace a bit in the second and third. I spent alot of time trying to figure out if it was rigged and if so to what extent. The US win brings ties the series at 2-2 so that's convenient but I was kinda expecting it to be a bit closer than it was. A couple of the "fights" seemed reasonably genuine. There was one where a yank was stuffing his glove in the face of a canuck, did it like 4 or 5 times and the Canadian seemed genuinely peeved. *shrugs* They might be good actors.

Like most have said if you go with the mindset of just wanting to have a different night out you'll enjoy it, don't expect anything too serious

I also went last night and I was very impressed. It was a much better spectacle than last year. The reigns were let loose as we had quite a bit of hitting for an exhibition game. The score was tied 4-4 heading into last period and the tempo really picked up for the 3rd. Both teams pressured a lot and it was the USA goalie, Summerhays, who stood up and was marvelous in the 3rd while Bunz, the Canadian goalie cracked.

Etem was a star. He is going to be a good player for Ducks. Loved watching him skate and stick handle. He potted two goals for USA.

The Canadian goalie made a mess of that play in the third period. Was the turning point I thought.

Also went last night - great spectacle with a packed house in attendance. Enjoyed seeing the various fans decked out in their NHL gear - lots of #87 Crosby jerseys and plenty of Toews & Kane as well. Canada certainly was the crowd's choice of team, getting by far the loudest cheers, but reality said that the USA would win so as to take the series to 2-all going into the Sydney game tonight - hey, it is an exhibition series after all....

Even my wife, who admits she know nothing about the game, had a good time. Would definitely go again.....

They would do better to try to get some NHL or European teams out here for a pre-season tournament or a few friendlies.
Agreed. Not sure what the response would be like from the NHL teams involved, but if the promoters want to make this into some sort of semi-respected event, they have to dish up more than that. When Kyle Quincey pulling out is a blow, something is very wrong.

Agreed. Not sure what the response would be like from the NHL teams involved, but if the promoters want to make this into some sort of semi-respected event, they have to dish up more than that. When Kyle Quincey pulling out is a blow, something is very wrong.

European pre-season games used to be commonplace. Sometimes they'd be NHL vs NHL. Sometimes it was NHL vs local team. There have also been some marquee NHL vs KHL matches.

I'd love to see a mini tournament featuring the Stanley Cup winner, European Champions League winner and the KHL winner. That'd get big crowds in any sports-loving city in the world.

European pre-season games used to be commonplace. Sometimes they'd be NHL vs NHL. Sometimes it was NHL vs local team. There have also been some marquee NHL vs KHL matches.

I'd love to see a mini tournament featuring the Stanley Cup winner, European Champions League winner and the KHL winner. That'd get big crowds in any sports-loving city in the world.

And the cheapest ticket would be $500.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back