Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Seeing that the VAFA might have trouble trying to secure venues for Premier C-Division 4 finals, why can't the VAFA allow clubs who finish first or third in their respective comps at the end of the h & a season to host the first & second semi finals, and possibly preliminary finals as well?

Seeing that the VAFA might have trouble trying to secure venues for Premier C-Division 4 finals, why can't the VAFA allow clubs who finish first or third in their respective comps at the end of the h & a season to host the first & second semi finals, and possibly preliminary finals as well?

Because some grounds they can't fence off and charge entry.

Even Vic Park... which would be a sensational finals venue... but has no fence. Perhaps they could put a temporary fence up for the 5 weeks?

Ridiculous that the VAFA charges entry for finals (with neither club seeing a cent of it) yet clubs aren't allowed to charge entry during the home and away season. Having said that Waz I have seen at Oakleigh they have put temp fencing up during previous finals campaigns.

Simon the VAFA Administrators have to pay themselves the big bucks and go on junkets disguised as rep teams..that's why they charge at finals

It's my understanding that the council may be amenable to temporary fencing. Providing the locals can access the ground during the week what would be the problem?

WRFL junior finals in full swing, Victorian Temporary Fencing has encircled two dual-oval council grounds here in Hoppers/Tarneit. They're doing well out of it. And the clubs get a flat fee for manning the gate. Officially, not a percentage based on how light fingered the guys in white coats are!

Simon the VAFA Administrators have to pay themselves the big bucks and go on junkets disguised as rep teams..that's why they charge at finals

So far from the truth. It's tiny bucks, for the love of the game. Fortunately we have people like those you bag and not more of you. Play on.

So far from the truth. It's tiny bucks, for the love of the game. Fortunately we have people like those you bag and not more of you. Play on.
Are you kidding Canada, have a close look at the VAFA financials last year and that will tell the story. They are paid big bucks and do not do it for the love of the game..

Disagree. Small bucks and they love the game. Have a chat to them over the finals. Great people.

I am not denying they are great people but rest assured the employees down at VAFA HQ get paid very handsomely - again take a look at the 2013 financials. They are professional sports administrators and should get paid but IMO they are paid too much for what they do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not denying they are great people but rest assured the employees down at VAFA HQ get paid very handsomely - again take a look at the 2013 financials. They are professional sports administrators and should get paid but IMO they are paid too much for what they do.

200k? What's handsomely in your opinion?

Another venue that might be considered when selecting grounds to host VAFA finals could be Harry Trott Oval. One advantage that would be in that venue's favour could be the installation of lights. What chance of a Premier C finals day/night played along these lines:

Ie First Semi Final:
1:10 Premier C 3rds/or Under 19s
4:30 Premier C Reserves
7:45 Premier C Seniors.

200k? What's handsomely in your opinion?
Ah I see you have no idea and you just guess. You have not had a look or you may be referring to the 1990 Annual report. It will be close to half a million in 2014 . I am not responding to you any further as you are not dealing in facts, you are just making stuff up.

Last year the under 19s had home finals in the first week before moving the prelims and grand finals to neutral venues. I would think that a system like this could be successful as I would imagine the vafa makes the majority of its money off the last 2 weeks of finals anyway. It also provides an opportunity for clubs to be rewarded after a strong season with a final on their home turf, possibly increasing the benefit of coming 1st or 3rd

Another venue that might be considered when selecting grounds to host VAFA finals could be Harry Trott Oval. One advantage that would be in that venue's favour could be the installation of lights. What chance of a Premier C finals day/night played along these lines:

Ie First Semi Final:
1:10 Premier C 3rds/or Under 19s
4:30 Premier C Reserves
7:45 Premier C Seniors.

Talking to umpires from the Premier game staged there recently, I'm not sure it would work and fencing off Albert Park is generally given a big fat no.

More chance of headquarters hosting night finals.

Was talking to the some of the Executive on Umpires Round week down at Point Gellibrand Oval at Williamstown and they seem to think if they could get one lot of finals there, it would be good (I suggested Division 1 given the location Of Therry Penola, North Old Boys and Williamstown CYMS in top 4 and on that side of the city).

I'd go this:

Premier - Elsternwick Park
Premier B - Junction Oval
Premier C - Trevor Barker Oval Sandringham
Division 1 - Point Gellibrand Oval Williamstown
Division 2 - Bill Lawry Oval Northcote
Division 3 - Toorak Park, Armadale
Division 4 - Central Reserve Glen Waverley
U/19 Premier, North and Colts - St. Bernards College West Essendon
U/19 2, U/19 3 and South - Scammell Reserve South Oakleigh

Wondering, do the VAFA have back-up grounds in mind in case of either a) condition of the surface b) draw in grand final, thereby needing a ground to host the replay if it happens or c) councils not allowing the VAFA to use its original choice venue due to upcoming cricket season?

Talking to umpires from the Premier game staged there recently, I'm not sure it would work and fencing off Albert Park is generally given a big fat no.

More chance of headquarters hosting night finals.

Was talking to the some of the Executive on Umpires Round week down at Point Gellibrand Oval at Williamstown and they seem to think if they could get one lot of finals there, it would be good (I suggested Division 1 given the location Of Therry Penola, North Old Boys and Williamstown CYMS in top 4 and on that side of the city).

I'd go this:

Premier - Elsternwick Park
Premier B - Junction Oval
Premier C - Trevor Barker Oval Sandringham
Division 1 - Point Gellibrand Oval Williamstown
Division 2 - Bill Lawry Oval Northcote
Division 3 - Toorak Park, Armadale
Division 4 - Central Reserve Glen Waverley
U/19 Premier, North and Colts - St. Bernards College West Essendon
U/19 2, U/19 3 and South - Scammell Reserve South Oakleigh
Don't think Toorak Park is a goer due to the Council moving in to prepare for cricket the moment our home and away season finishes. Not the most co-operative Council I'm told.

Doubt the Junction will be available either.

Box Hill was once a regular come finals.

Be easy to fence off E.E Gunn. Central position. In god nick. Bedford would be a great mine host.:)

Ah I see you have no idea and you just guess. You have not had a look or you may be referring to the 1990 Annual report. It will be close to half a million in 2014 . I am not responding to you any further as you are not dealing in facts, you are just making stuff up.

I'm not making stuff up. I just don't need to look at the report. I'm saying unless they are individually being paid over 100 large then they are not grossly overpaid. It ain't the the 1970's. People make decent coin now. These guys dont. But they love the game, so they cop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back