C'wealth Commonwealth Games - Glasgow 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty weak effort by the Kenyan girls in the mountain bike. 3 from 3 DNF and the one I saw had a fairly minor spill while coming last really early in and just pulled out.

Mel McLaughlin asking Steve Hooker whether Riseley could beat Rudisha was pretty funny.

I dunno if she was baiting him there, but Steve answered it very well.

This coverage is ******* terrible.

Eat a dick channel 10, or let us watch a full event uninterrupted. Either way
My personal favourite was one of the first nights where they showed the lawn bowls for over an hour, flicked to the badminton for a single point, then switched back.

Awful coverage, but as a F1 watcher I don't really know why I expected more from channel 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ch 10 has several billionaires who have decent chunks of the network but their management are cheap and employ too many dills across the network so it will stand out like dogs balls when they do a big live production like the Comm Games.

They do the right thing with the athletics and employ Doneghan Gainsford Taylor, Deek, and Dave Culbert but then down in the .mix zone they employ such a dill from Ch 10 stable who asks such cliched questions, has no real idea about the event and any Aussie effort is seen as a world best tyoe performance.

Thats the difference say with Ch 7 when Patty Welsh was in the mix zone for their athletics coverage at Olymlcs and world champs. And because he knew his stuff the truly great athletes appreciated that he knew his stuff and they would always come back and talk to him. Emma Simmkins at SBS was pretty good in the mix zone when SBS covered the world championships.

Last edited:
It'll be worse, unless something drastically improves in the pool over the next two years.

We got one gold medal in the pool in London. Only thing worse than that is none. And the women set a WR in this games for the 100m relay so that may be the one gold medal we'd get again. Magnussen won't ever again swim as fast as he did two years ago, certainly be looking at McEvoy to kick on there.

Awesome work by the 4 x 100 womens medley by getting another gold medal.

Had to laugh at the new.com.au article on Usain Bolt calling the Commonwealth Games trash.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/common...t-st-is-he-right/story-fnnx3zsr-1227006996509

NOW we know what sprinting superstar Usain Bolt really thinks about the Commonwealth Games.
According to The Times , the world’s fastest man was waiting for his car in the athletes’ village overnight when he unleashed a thunderbolt, saying the Games are “a bit s**t” and “the Olympics were better”.

The awkward thing is, he’s right.

Last edited:
You guys have summed it up well. Appalling coverage. Mel is hot and hopeless and they never show any events- its 90% chat.Thorpe is arrogant and boring- pretty sure he said, that the Aussie guy swam the most impessive 200m free in 10 years,in other words, the most impressive since he was doing it!
Its well and truly amateur hour. These guys make blokes like Sandy Roberts and Bruce McAvenay look like the ultimate pros.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back