VAFA finals venues

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the maths how many employed and how much is the salary and wages bill.. The CEO is on double what you have referred to and the ops and ump mangers are on packages very close to $100k.. so read the report.

For what it's worth, if there was no charge to attend finals I think you would find that every team's registration fee would go up and therefore every players subs. It is a lot more of an equitable system that the teams competing in the finals pay for the finals.
Let's hope the Junction can host some finals otherwise any ground off Bulleen Road would be ideal.
EP has hopefully blown down today......

I have raised this before and been branded as a VAFA basher but why do the VAFA leave it so late to announce finals venues? The SFL announced theirs 10 weeks ago..I understand that there are many more levels of competition at VAFA but at least for the top 4 divisions the venues should be locked in much earlier. The model most leagues use which works well is that the host club pay a fee to the league for hosting and then they make their money on canteen and alcohol sales ( I realise the VAFA do not formally allow the consumption of alcohol during games) and the gate goes to the league. Fencing is always a problem because typically council aren't too keen for it to remain up for 4 or 5 weeks..btw has anyone from the VAFA knocked on the door at Linton st to check out if that can be used for finals or the Mordialloc ground that is fenced? The Clayton ground is fenced and has a great facility and the Dingley ground could also be used...

I have raised this before and been branded as a VAFA basher but why do the VAFA leave it so late to announce finals venues? The SFL announced theirs 10 weeks ago..I understand that there are many more levels of competition at VAFA but at least for the top 4 divisions the venues should be locked in much earlier. The model most leagues use which works well is that the host club pay a fee to the league for hosting and then they make their money on canteen and alcohol sales ( I realise the VAFA do not formally allow the consumption of alcohol during games) and the gate goes to the league. Fencing is always a problem because typically council aren't too keen for it to remain up for 4 or 5 weeks..btw has anyone from the VAFA knocked on the door at Linton st to check out if that can be used for finals or the Mordialloc ground that is fenced? The Clayton ground is fenced and has a great facility and the Dingley ground could also be used...
I often wonder why the VAFA leaves the announcement of their finals series venues right up until virtually the last minute?

Could it be that the VAFA are waiting until the final 4/or 5 is set before making the announcements? Some clubs who are already locked in their finals spot are itching to train on a VAFA finals to get an idea of the ground/wind conditions, especially when having a set shot for goal. Yet still no announcement.

Compare this to the SFL. While sometimes we can be critical of the SFL, they at least got one thing right by making known where their finals will be played at-long before the teams to contest the finals are confirmed. And that could cause problems for the VAFA when trying to book a ground for ie Div 2 finals...only to be told it was already locked in by the SFL.

I would think it may have something to do with waiting for the final teams to be decided so that if a club has both unders and seniors in finals they could be at the same venue.

The VAFA should ask about Mordialloc and Clayton along with Dingley, all tried and tested venues.

What about using Trinity or Carey? Fences at front, car parking and awesome surfaces. The bonus is that the schools aren't at the venues (which is why Marcellin would probably be a no - but is the best surface in the comp)

What about using Trinity or Carey? Fences at front, car parking and awesome surfaces. The bonus is that the schools aren't at the venues (which is why Marcellin would probably be a no - but is the best surface in the comp)
I would suggest that these can't be used as there are other sports going on at these venues. How do you police who pays/who doesn't?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The APS is the problem.

Parade College is an option.

Schools like Carey and Trinity find it hard enough to get the use of school facilities as 'old boys clubs'.
No chance of finals being held at schools like these. Don't blame them. Protect the surface and certainly don't need any financial extras.

When did you see it last Bedford? I walked on it in second week of July and it was in excellent shape, perhaps the recent weather has buggered it..They have very heavy traffic on it and not an alternative oval like some clubs.

Or Bedford we could always wait for a few more weeks of wet weather and play the finals at Peninsula Bay.....

The VAFA should ask about Mordialloc and Clayton along with Dingley, all tried and tested venues.

Perspective - it seems the good folk of Dingley don’t share your enthusiasm about the state of their ground.

Won't paste link but have a look at the front page of this week Moorabbin - Glen Eira Leader and accompany story. Headline starts with “ Is this a footy field or a swamp” with the usual shot of forlorn players standing in ankle deep water!

And by the way Clayton is $hit hole too!

Perspective - it seems the good folk of Dingley don’t share your enthusiasm about the state of their ground.

Won't paste link but have a look at the front page of this week Moorabbin - Glen Eira Leader and accompany story. Headline starts with “ Is this a footy field or a swamp” with the usual shot of forlorn players standing in ankle deep water!

And by the way Clayton is $hit hole too!
Rooster as I said it was few ago that I saw Dingley and it looked ok but I also said that they get a lot of traffic on it and could have deteriorated. When was the last time you saw Clayton? Again I haven't seen it this year but it has improved in the past few years. As always happy to be corrected with facts not simply bias opinion.

Rooster as I said it was few ago that I saw Dingley and it looked ok but I also said that they get a lot of traffic on it and could have deteriorated. When was the last time you saw Clayton? Again I haven't seen it this year but it has improved in the past few years. As always happy to be corrected with facts not simply bias opinion.

Fact or bias opinion? Have a look at the picture on the front of the leader and read the comments of the Dingley FC reps and make up you own mind. The ground is a quagmire. Excessive traffic or not the fact is it happens at the same time every year and does recover until well into the cricket season.

Have not seen Clayton up close since earlier this season but further information provided by sources within the SFL is that the ground is not up to standard for finals for a combination of reasons – ground size, centre square, overall state of the playing surface etc. Agree Mordi usually a good deck and the VAFA could do worse then consider that as option if it is vacant.

Rooster I am not talking about Dingley as an opinion - you are obviously right it is a mess but your comment that Clayton is a "s**t hole" is typical of the opinionated, arrogant VAFA people that love generalising and occasionally get on here and bag the SFL - you are not one of those as you are informed., The VAFA are again running out of time and again have left it very late to announce finals venues and Clayton would be a good option for some VAFA finals, not for the better grades but the lower divisions, it would work well, and yes again you are right Mordialloc would be another good option not forgetting that it hosted the 2007 final series Div 1 and 3,000 attended the Grand Final.

Rooster I am not talking about Dingley as an opinion - you are obviously right it is a mess but your comment that Clayton is a "s**t hole" is typical of the opinionated, arrogant VAFA people that love generalising and occasionally get on here and bag the SFL - you are not one of those as you are informed., The VAFA are again running out of time and again have left it very late to announce finals venues and Clayton would be a good option for some VAFA finals, not for the better grades but the lower divisions, it would work well, and yes again you are right Mordialloc would be another good option not forgetting that it hosted the 2007 final series Div 1 and 3,000 attended the Grand Final.

Perspective. I really don’t want to go down the SFL v VAFA path again as it is getting tiresome other than to say that you never miss an opportunity to stick the boot into the good folk at Ormond. To then have a crack at the “opinionated, arrogant VAFA people” is a touch hypocritical.

However back to the issue of finals venues. - you simply cannot compare logistics of organising finals for the SFL (3 senior grades and 1 x U19 grade) to one that has 7 seniors grades (including 3 grades of 3rds) 3 grades of clubbies, 5 x U19s and 1 of colts. On top of all that the clubs in the VAFA are not confined to one geographical area of Melbourne. At times the VAFA admin might deserve a clip but on the issue of finals venues it is sound practice to wait and see what clubs are likely to play finals before announcing venues based on geographical convenience to the participating clubs. I know for a fact that VAFA have been liaising with clubs and councils regarding potential venues for several months already now.

If the VAFA want to compare themselves to another comp they look towards the EFL, not the SFL.

Rooster it is not about SFL V VAFA simply the VAFA are superior in most ways except in many opinions there scant disrespect for district clubs including Ormond. I don't bag Ormond I actually help them financially and in other ways. They are there own worst enemy at times and I do not want to go down this track again because the new Admin team are doing a very good job. Bedford and the team are good people, hard working and care.
And Rooster how can you possibly call your self Amateurs - you know what I am talking about, you mentioned it yourself. inducements such as accommodation, overpaid jobs and yes cash are paid at VAFA clubs and you know it. Perhaps the VAFA should be known not as lily whites but the VPFA - Victorian Professional Football Association and stop hiding behind this big fat elephant in the room. Or is that Elephant you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back