The SCG Is NOT a Football Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, **** soccer and **** gridiron. Secondly, Im pretty sure Adelaide Oval has an even smaller playing field than the SCG.

There are a couple of grounds that are 15m+ narrower than than the MCG, but don't tell the Hawks supporters that, it doesn't fit their agenda in targeting the Swans.

Just run the numbers. SCG is 8.3% smaller than MCG, Etihad is 8.9% smaller than MCG.

Etihad is not a football ground. Oh wait, it was purpose built for football.

The centre square looks awfully skinny. I know it's a short ground so the centre square isn't wide from one 50 to another. But to me it also doesn't stretch out to the wings. Should it be a centre rectangle instead?

Personally I think you are seeing Sydney play their brand of footy there. Plus them being good at it. Plus other teams not being able to break the game open. Plus Sydney being without Franklin and therefore playing more conservatively.

Smaller grounds will be more conducive to slower footy but it doesn't have to happen like that. In fact they'll be really good for fast attacking footy if the conditions are right such as Sydney v Port earlier in the year.

Etihad is a ground that can have slow locked in footy played as it's smaller than the G but because of the good conditions it usually is a bit more open.

I'm happy for different sized grounds and different styles of play. That said the SCG could be a little bigger and I think they did that in this latest redevelopment.

By the way what is the result of the redevelopment? Are swans fans happy or is it a bit half baked and not too exciting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure they lengthened the SCG when they redeveloped the ground with the new grandstands, it's longer now than it used to be in the 80s and 90s when it was ridiculously short and players could almost kick a goal from the centre square.

I like it as an AFL venue, it has great atmosphere and some great grandstands with a real traditional feel, a lot better than ANZ stadium which is a soulless monstrosity.

With people complaining about the state of the game and how it is becoming so congested that people are turning off and voting with their feet I wonder what the good folk of BF think about the SCG as a football ground. We know that Sydney like to play ugly football but the reason for that is because the SCG is their home ground. There is no space and we find the game predominantly being played by push and shove, flicking the ball around and constant ball ups. So much so that it seems almost alien. On top of this visiting teams have to make major adjustments to how they play once a year which was evidenced by Essendon tonight. It took half a game for the team to find its feet. I think it is high time that the AFL started looking into moving Sydney home games to a proper football ground. I don't think Homebush is the answer but something needs to be done. We are in the 21st century FFS.

We know sydney play ugly footy? Essendon flooded back all night

There are a couple of grounds that are 15m+ narrower than than the MCG, but don't tell the Hawks supporters that, it doesn't fit their agenda in targeting the Swans.

It isn't about targeting the Swans. Haven't seen a game at the SCG for a while and it seems to be the same every time with the way the game pans out. I'm only guessing but I reckon Ross Lyon has a pretty good record at the SCG and it will be interesting to see how the Paul Roos Melbourne performs up there over the next couple of years.

Yeah, it's part of the game's heritage. Footy was invented as a winter sport for cricketers, to be played on cricket grounds which likewise vary endlessly.
Bingo. Someone gets it. Try telling the whinging hawthorn supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back