VFL Game Day VFL Round 19: Essendon v Richmond (14 point win)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll do some of the VFL players

Coghlan and Duscher as expected. Not much that needs to be said. Coghlan will almost certainly be on an AFL list next year.

Mueller is animal for a kid. Too short to be a ruck (which is how he was used yesterday) but more importantly he knows how to use his body at stoppages which suggests he is smart. Not sure what his story is and whether he is considered much of a draft prospect but there sure seems to be quite a bit to work where there. Showed some spring and athleticism.

Toy was huge on the day. Played as a key defender at times and hardly got beaten which is no mean feat considering his size compared to some of the boys he was playing on. He uses the ball exceptionally well and understand how to position himself to beat an opponent. I'd totally written him off as an AFL prospect, and hardly thought he was a VFL player, but now I have totally changed my mind.

I am not saying that he does anything as a footballer that suggests that he is going to make it but my god Bowe is an impressive specimen. He so obviously is not fit, his stints on the bench are about 4 times as long as anyone else, and it must be hard to go up against guys like Grundy, Stephenson and Hampson having blown up just getting to the ruck contests. He did get over the top of Stephenson and Hampson which is an improvement. Don't look at him as a footballer, he is an alternate talent for all intents and purposes. I would do everything I can to convince him that he should spend the next 4 months with our development staff. He looks a really natural athlete and the AFL system is as good as it has ever been turning these guys into quality rucks.

Yesterday was easily Tippa's best game for a frustrating year. He played in defence and played well above his height at times to ensure that Richmond's forward did not take marks. He also used the ball with his characteristic class.

He was held over as Ryder was in severe doubt.
Or he buggered off to Tasmania. Caught a flight to Melbourne with him on Monday arvo.
I swear all footy players dress the same. Flat baseball cap. Hoody. Thongs (even in Tassy). 3/4 length pants which was a bit weird actually.

Numbers for anyone interested.

Ashby - 12k 12h 6m 4t - 3.0
Edwards - 17k 6h 4m 1t - 2.3
Jetta - 9k 16h 7m 3t - 1.3
Kav - 15k 5h 5m 5t - 1.2
Aylett - 15k 8h 5m 14 t - 1.0
Hardingham - 11k 10h 8m 2t - 1.0
Merrett - 11k 6h 3m 3t - 1.0
Fantasia - 8k 13h 5m 6t - 0.1
Gleeson - 18k 10h 3m 0t
Rayner - 9k 15h 7m 3t
Gregory - 4k 3h 4m 3t

Duscher - 10k 9h 7m 3t 1.1
Tipa - 11k 8h 3m 6t - 0.1
Freezer - 13k 5h 8m 3t
Coghlan - 13k 9h 3m 1t
Toy - 10k 4h 8m 0t

I certainly missed the extent of the involvement of Ashby, Hardingham, Aylett and Rayner.

Aylett is a machine. I am expecting him to win an AFL spot this pre-season and not let go. Hoping that he has luck with injury.

He brings Howlett's intensity and ability in close with serious mobility and endurance (I think he's the third best time trialer at the club behind Rayner and Ambrose which is no mean feat given their quality). It makes him quite different to the other promising players in reserve, and even in the senior side, who are either less dynamic (Kav, Ashby and O'Brien) or more "outside" or more suited to flanks (Dalgleish, Edwards and Gleeson).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back