Budget Night 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the AMA alternative to co-payment, can someone who actually understood what they were saying post in brief, as I got lost.

Also interesting to hear Joe Hockey state that today is the anniversary of the PBS co-payment that Labor introduced. I think that the majority of people do not have any objection to this co-payment as drugs have become more expensive and the public understands that to have the latest drugs, the co-payment is necessary to keep the cost affordable. Not a like for like comparison in my mind.

Just watched the AMA alternative to co-payment, can someone who actually understood what they were saying post in brief, as I got lost.

Also interesting to hear Joe Hockey state that today is the anniversary of the PBS co-payment that Labor introduced. I think that the majority of people do not have any objection to this co-payment as drugs have become more expensive and the public understands that to have the latest drugs, the co-payment is necessary to keep the cost affordable. Not a like for like comparison in my mind.
They take the opinion of supporting a copayment in certain circumstances and also think that those who would be able to pay should. Will consider situations specifically on a case by case basis when will be made to pay but have special situations such as repeat treatment and thus visits required. The copayment changes depending on the consultation type. Healthcare card holders and associated concessions plus 15 years children and under free. Disagree and are not supporting charges from ancillary services such as blood examination etc or imaging.

Further, being so far away (acknowledge you come to Australia a couple of times a year) you only have the Murdoch press and your obvious bias to base your opinions on which makes it difficult to take your posts seriously.

I am back in Oz a couple of times a year. I can walk in to a gp without an appointment. I cant in the UK, it can take a week. I don't bother I see a private doctor if I have to.

Why? Well the answer is obvious - health care in the UK is free at the point of charge. Far too much overservicing in the UK. Australia's system is so much better it is ridiculous (re seeing a gp).

Price acts as a deterrent. 40% of all a&e cases in the UK get home with NO treatment. Again overservicing issues.

Australia has an ageing population and health care will have to be rationed further or health care costs wills spiral dramatically (total cost is put at circa 5% of gdp).

Someone will have to pay the cost of all this. We cant simply stop people getting older. There will be less working age people in relation to those retiring so taxing them more isn't that realistic an option.

How else are you going to solve the problem?

I am back in Oz a couple of times a year. I can walk in to a gp without an appointment. I cant in the UK, it can take a week. I don't bother I see a private doctor if I have to.

Why? Well the answer is obvious - health care in the UK is free at the point of charge. Far too much overservicing in the UK. Australia's system is so much better it is ridiculous (re seeing a gp).

Price acts as a deterrent. 40% of all a&e cases in the UK get home with NO treatment. Again overservicing issues.

Australia has an ageing population and health care will have to be rationed further or health care costs wills spiral dramatically (total cost is put at circa 5% of gdp).

Someone will have to pay the cost of all this. We cant simply stop people getting older. There will be less working age people in relation to those retiring so taxing them more isn't that realistic an option.

How else are you going to solve the problem?
I thought the point of your post and my reply was the whingeing of people here and the co-payment. I explained that the message was wrong and that the majority of people didn't accept it. If it the co-payment was to make Medicare more sustainable, I don't believe there would have been that much opposition.

If it the co-payment was to make Medicare more sustainable, I don't believe there would have been that much opposition

It will happen, just a question of time. Just like the pension age will have to rise substantially and people will be forced to sell their home for nursing care along with pro union legislation being repealed.

I explained that the message was wrong and that the majority of people didn't accept it

Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else

There is no free lunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back