R22: Port v Carlton review

Nice review Macca.

Trengove is so important structurally. Just being there seems to make our back half complete.

Thought Lobbe's second and third efforts in ruck were excellent and worth a mention.

Very close to the perfect game (would have been perfect if we had kicked straighter).

Just sheer domination. Our run was back on top of the ground, we were breaking lines, winning the hard ball and creating space. It was simply beautiful to watch. Robbie Gray will go very close to winning the Brownlow if he doesn't get it. Just another 3 vote performance, there's nothing he can't do. Great to see Polec up and about too. Hartlett was damaging and I liked his slingshot plays off half back, it worked a treat and allowed Polec to get into the middle a bit more to add some run there. Only player I thought who was off in the midfield was Ebert, but even when he's off, the effort is there and he lays plenty of tackles to make up for it. Ollie had a quiet night too, but then again, the ball was out of the packs pretty quickly tonight so we didn't need him to be getting 25+ touches in close. Pittard's run off half back and through the corridor was brilliant. On most nights, he would get at least a few Brownlow votes. Tonight, given how good everyone else was, he'd be lucky to scrape one.

Best thing I saw last night was the ferocity of the team as a whole. Just the little intangibles, like the stiff arms, the broken tackles, bumping the opposition player hard to the ground as the ball was going out of bounds. It was tough, hard nosed footy, and I loved it!

Perfect time to come in form. Next week's game is going to be absolutely huge. Considering Freo have to travel more miles than we do over the next week, not to mention they have 2 days less, AND will be without Fyfe and Barlow, there's no reason we can't knock them off and get into the top 4.

I'm loving seeing the ball head towards Jonas , he just destroys the contest , even showed a bit of a leap a few times .
The whole back 6 was amazing , > Pittard , yea boii , Polec likewise .
Jake Neade > Oh yeah !!
Just need Shultz to get into top form .
Overall another magnificent night and memory to carry in my bank for a good few years .
Go Port you beautiful working class institution

This gave me the biggest immediate

76YQw.gif

They didn't give me a microphone! The camera came up to me and as it started to go back down the presenter chick came up and gave me the guernsey and shook my hand. I even had the duct tape for my mouth and a "free th KPFs" tshirt prepared but no opportunity!

If they are trying to placate me the win was plenty but the guernsey is a nice cherry on top!
As I've been assisting you in your quest for KPFs I deserve some of it.
I'll PM the details of where you can send the sleeves. :D

76YQw.gif

This illustrates succinctly what has been missing from our game over the past couple of months. Instead of having a whole bunch of players congregated around the stoppage, you can see both Gray and Hartlett move towards it at speed from the defensive side of the ground into attack. Good spread and spacing from the supporting players in Monfries, Polec and Hartlett, with Ebert laying a nice (if pretty irrelevant) block on the chasing player.

Last edited:
And they're the only side that has crappy score review decisions go against them.
Was It my failing eyesight or did the finger move in the opposite direction in that "touched" review?

I felt all week that we'd absolute murder Carlton and we did. Teams will be absolutely shitting themselves over the thought of meeting us in the finals.

Robbie Gray - this guy is proper ridiculous... All season I've been telling my mates how incredibly good he is and how he'll be a decent chance to poll well in the Brownlow. I put $5 on him to win the Bownlow @$101 then another $10 @$81 to win without Ablett and $30 @$11 to poll most votes for Port. My Cousin out $100 on @$251 to win it.

Nice review Macca.

Trengove is so important structurally. Just being there seems to make our back half complete.

Thought Lobbe's second and third efforts in ruck were excellent and worth a mention.

Thought he was great last night. Worked so hard all game and was very influential in the ruck contests. One of his best games imo

Wow. What a day. What a night.

The License lunch at the club.
Pre game dinner at One.
Free booze and food all day.
Ended up bumping into powermacs, wharfie and Dingle at the marquee.
More drinks.
???
Now dealing with the resulting hangover

I hear the game went well too.
Did we win?

The replay was arguably better than the real thing, the in close reflex handball from our blokes was sensational, but f**k me, why would a 60 plus Port bloke, with a comb over, a rinse, a forehead bigger than Texas, and Virgil from the Thunderbirds glasses, allow his boat race to be shown in the closing credits on national tv?

Apparently some people have NO shame!

I think you mean Brains from the Thunderbirds glasses.

76YQw.gif
Judd is right on Gray's hammer when he takes possession but doesn't even bother chasing and just runs to the outside taking Hartlett with him. o_O

.... Ebert laying a nice (if pretty irrelevant) block on the chasing player.
Interesting choice by Ebert as the player he blocked was the one probably least likely to catch Gray. He probably figured that if he tried to block the player immediately behind Gray he would just side step him due to the angle so he took out the next one in line.

Last edited:
Back