Opinion Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

I want this thread to be titled, "You Cegsy thing!"

What a find he's been...he absolutely looks like he belongs. If someone had said at the start of the year that we'd traded for Big Boy, but he was playing in the twos whilst Cegs was on the field, I wouldn't have believed them - but he's definitely earned his place.

What a find he's been...he absolutely looks like he belongs. If someone had said at the start of the year that we'd traded for Big Boy, but he was playing in the twos whilst Cegs was on the field, I wouldn't have believed them - but he's definitely earned his place.

This ruck thing is actually kind of tricky cos, as great as it is that Ceglar has come on like this, the idea of a big name recruit languishing in reserves is probably not the best form of list management. I thought Hale played well tonight also and the partnership with Ceglar was effective so it would be hard to justify dropping him. Does that mean that the guy we gave up a first round pick and handy player (and a first to second round downgrade) for pre-season isn't going to play in our finals series?

This ruck thing is actually kind of tricky cos, as great as it is that Ceglar has come on like this, the idea of a big name recruit languishing in reserves is probably not the best form of list management. I thought Hale played well tonight also and the partnership with Ceglar was effective so it would be hard to justify dropping him. Does that mean that the guy we gave up a first round pick and handy player (and a first to second round downgrade) for pre-season isn't going to play in our finals series?
We had to recruit big boy. We could not have gone into 2014 with hale as our only recognised ruckman. Even the most optimistic hawk fan would not have expected ceglar to go from his insipid form at afl level in 2013 to inspired form in 2014. the picks we used to draft big boy to the club are a sunk cost and should have no bearing on if he gets a game or not. They are gone and they aren't coming back. Once a player is on our list it is form that counts. Mcevoy was not too bad but a bad game against freo cost him his spot and he probably won't get it back. Will have the preaseason to work on his game and he is great depth for finals should we get injuries.

I don't think Cegs is going anywhere after last night. The man came in and earned his finals spot. BB will find it hard to get back in but what a place to be in. You know you have a capable back up if Hale or Cegs go down.

Cegler has to stay in the side....it has to be a given.

He offers us the athletic type of ruckman, agility, jumping, speed and the ability to provide pressure. Its the point of difference between Hale and McEvoy who are similar type ruckmen. Frankly he's a better tap ruckman than both combined.

I think the McEvoy trade is still inspired, because looking at Hale, I'm pretty sure the hawks found his birth certificate the other day and would hand it to him if they could chisel it from the cave wall.

Next season it'll be all about Ceglar and McEvoy.

I would have i never thought we needed another Ruck with Cegs and Sticks at there stage of there development!!!!

We had to recruit big boy. We could not have gone into 2014 with hale as our only recognised ruckman. Even the most optimistic hawk fan would not have expected ceglar to go from his insipid form at afl level in 2013 to inspired form in 2014. the picks we used to draft big boy to the club are a sunk cost and should have no bearing on if he gets a game or not. They are gone and they aren't coming back. Once a player is on our list it is form that counts. Mcevoy was not too bad but a bad game against freo cost him his spot and he probably won't get it back. Will have the preaseason to work on his game and he is great depth for finals should we get injuries.
Sorry but i diagree i always thought after watching the Box Hill grandfinal last year that both Cegs and Sticks were not that far off and i feel thay have both proven that,i personally would prefer to keep Sticks over Big Boy he is way more mobile and gets around the ground better the only part that Bigboy has Sticks covered is his around the ground contested marking which is his feature!!!!

Loved the look on his face after he took that big mark then goaled.
There was a fair bit of 'crazy eyes' about him wasn't there?Funny to compare his intensity against the (seemingly) half-asleep, laconic Hale - who, incidentally seems to be returning to his September form of last year. Love Hale's big mark right in front - going with the flight resulting the goal we got after the review debacle.

Loved Ceg's great pressure work in that last quarter too which caused a cat's 'out on the full' turnover. He's no witches hat.

There was a fair bit of 'crazy eyes' about him wasn't there?Funny to compare his intensity against the (seemingly) half-asleep, laconic Hale - who, incidentally seems to be returning to his September form of last year. Love Hale's big mark right in front - going with the flight resulting the goal we got after the review debacle.

Loved Ceg's great pressure work in that last quarter too which caused a cat's 'out on the full' turnover. He's no witches hat.

i would be curious to know what Mcevoy would have been thinking on the sidelines watching them both play well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ruck dilemma is tough. Cegs was great against the Cats (Blicavs/McIntosh).

Final v Swans: Ceglar/Hale combo v Pyke/? - Ceglar gets the nod for mobility and Hale scoring power which we will need.

Final v Freo: McEvoy/Hale combo v Sandi/? - McEvoy and Hale for their bigger bodies would be beneficial v Freo.

Final v Cats: Ceglar/Hale combo v Blicavs/McIntosh - worked last time.

I am sure posters will have other ideas but getting it right will be really tough. For mine Cegs has his nose in front for 2 out of the three games.

However if Port squeeze into the top four I would probably go McEvoy/Hale v Lobbe/?

This could be the Hawks hard luck story of September if things go our way.

i would be curious to know what Mcevoy would have been thinking on the sidelines watching them both play well.

Hopefully he's thinking that he wishes he didn't lose form at the wrong time of the season and does his best to put pressure on the incumbents to keep it up for the rest of the season.

The ruck dilemma is tough. Cegs was great against the Cats (Blicavs/McIntosh).

Final v Swans: Ceglar/Hale combo v Pyke/? - Ceglar gets the nod for mobility and Hale scoring power which we will need.

Final v Freo: McEvoy/Hale combo v Sandi/? - McEvoy and Hale for their bigger bodies would be beneficial v Freo.

Final v Cats: Ceglar/Hale combo v Blicavs/McIntosh - worked last time.

I am sure posters will have other ideas but getting it right will be really tough. For mine Cegs has his nose in front for 2 out of the three games.

However if Port squeeze into the top four I would probably go McEvoy/Hale v Lobbe/?

This could be the Hawks hard luck story of September if things go our way.

Ceglar is the most bloody exciting Ruck prospect I have seen at the club since day dot.
I have supported this club 42 years and this bloke runs them ragged around the ground. McIntosh has no answer. Blicavs who is an elite runner could not go with Ceglar at times which is bloody amazing.
He is as agile as a medium sized player with an amazing leap, work ethic and the ability to tap the ball and take a mark at its highest point.

When he took that mark on the members half forward flank a couple of minutes after his goal I got up and celebrated like it was Cyril.
I dunno what it is about this bloke I love but the mere fact that he has done it the hard way excites me.

Oh and Langford is an absolute LOCK for finals.
He is our Joel Selwood - An on-field leader who shows his teammates the path to take.
I feel Langford has this aura and belief written all over him and he is a pleasure to watch.
His goal on the siren displayed true grit and leadership.

Loved the look on his face after he took that big mark then goaled.

I'll have to watch it again, I was too busy jumping around the lounge room in delight.

Ceglar is the most bloody exciting Ruck prospect I have seen at the club since day dot.
I have supported this club 42 years and this bloke runs them ragged around the ground. McIntosh has no answer. Blicavs who is an elite runner could not go with Ceglar at times which is bloody amazing.
He is as agile as a medium sized player with an amazing leap, work ethic and the ability to tap the ball and take a mark at its highest point.

When he took that mark on the members half forward flank a couple of minutes after his goal I got up and celebrated like it was Cyril.
I dunno what it is about this bloke I love but the mere fact that he has done it the hard way excites me.

Oh and Langford is an absolute LOCK for finals.
He is our Joel Selwood - An on-field leader who shows his teammates the path to take.
I feel Langford has this aura and belief written all over him and he is a pleasure to watch.
His goal on the siren displayed true grit and leadership.

I have been a Hawks man since '76. Must admit to being pretty pumped about Cegs prospects as well. He has played bugger all games and can only improve.

I like that he has a bit of mongrel in him. Hawkins tried to rough him up a bit, but Cegs wasn't having any of it. Definitely got the crazies...

Cegs at the moment is our #1 ruckman. He was stiff a couple weeks back - he only played about a half v Sydney and was dropped pretty quickly. Usually plays a minimum of 70-80% game time every week, and 90% most weeks.

His upside is a complete unknown and that in itself is bloody exciting. We've also got to remember he has only played a TOTAL of 14 AFL games..... Scary!

Cegs brings youthful enthusiasm & provides that spring in the step for which the heavy legged duo of Hale/McEvoy are both lacking!....He is far more athletic & covers the ground way quicker. His ball use & footy smarts/nous for a big man are excellent.

This time next year it will likely be both he & Lowden as our first choice duo!....4 Good rucks nowadays are a necessity!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back