Delisted Spencer White

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2010 we called Rhys 'the next big thing'

In 2011 it was Arryn Siposs and again in 2013 'BJ Who?'

We overrate our kids... Probably from not having a very good one since BJ

Let Spencer develop
2 weeks ago he had 4 possessions in the VFL... The week before 5 goals

On debut
He dropped 4 marks, took one beauty, his opponent was Richmonds second highest possession winner to HT whilst he had 1 touch.
He got 2 goals from being forward of the ball whilst it was in dispute

He has some serious tricks, some serious flaws and may well develop into a great player... Or a Rhys Stanley.

Time will tell

We nearly blew our load over Tommy Walsh doing up his shoe laces....Spencer has no hope of level headedness. He screwed himself with 3 goals on debut. We expect at least 4 next week and 120 next season. Get to work Buddy Plugger White

Let Spencer develop

On debut
He dropped 4 marks, took one beauty, his opponent was Richmonds second highest possession winner to HT whilst he had 1 touch.

He has some serious tricks, some serious flaws and may well develop into a great player... Or a Rhys Stanley.

Time will tell

hence why i said jason traianidis..

Let Spencer develop

On debut

Time will tell

You can't say a Rhys Stanley like that's a bad thing. His career isn't over. He just hit 50 games. How many times do we have to be told about how long it takes to develop talls before people will listen?

As you may have observed over time, I am a staunch supporter of all players. and I am stoked for Spencer, and like every other player who pulls on our jumper, I sincerely hope he goes on to have an outstanding career.

However, it was only one game. I don't think it's worth a toast just yet. Celebrate it for what it was? Yes.

Nothing more - nothing less.

Keeping a lid on it for now.;)

Is it OK if i still keep the lid on while i smash the whole jar in excitement??
BrokenDreamsJar.jpg
:p:p

If Spencer makes it, is he a Full Forward or Centre Half Forward? Is there even a difference in today's footy?
Zero difference anymore IMO.

Zero difference anymore IMO.
Sort of. You have more roving forwards vs power forwards who kind of fit the chf/ff model a bit. Buddy and Tippet kind of fill these roles a bit but the reality is that most FFs cannot just sit in the goalsquare anymore so the traditional idea of what is gone.

Sort of. You have more roving forwards vs power forwards who kind of fit the chf/ff model a bit. Buddy and Tippet kind of fill these roles a bit but the reality is that most FFs cannot just sit in the goalsquare anymore so the traditional idea of what is gone.
Hence my concerns over Paddy McCartin, the bloke is a full forward straight out of the 80s.

Love the way he goes about it though...

If Spencer makes it, is he a Full Forward or Centre Half Forward? Is there even a difference in today's footy?

Neither..he is a big HFF....will play the third forward role.

Later on in his career if he beefs up more he may become more of the key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's very encouraging. A bit of meat in the guns, and (more importantly) thickness through the legs and ass. Almost makes up for the news about White being distant last in the 2km time trial.
See, I'm in the vast minority in that I don't really care about Spencer's run.

One, it's the start of preseason and he's just been on holiday, he's probably not in great condition - not ideal, but not a catastrophe - and two, he's a late-diagnosed asthmatic who's 196cm; distance running was never his strength in any event, but asthma cruels the ability to gut run, I'd know.

He's lightning in a short to medium sprint, my view is he's a high-ish key forward, although he may be better out of the square on rapid leads.

I think we've all had our 'acceptable' parameters skewed by ten years of the hardest-running key forward of all time...

"See, I'm in the vast minority in that I don't really care about Spencer's run."

iu

It's all about improvement. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Distant last is not improvement.

Last edited:

One, it's the start of preseason and he's just been on holiday, he's probably not in great condition - not ideal, but not a catastrophe - and two, he's a late-diagnosed asthmatic who's 196cm; distance running was never his strength in any event, but asthma cruels the ability to gut run, I'd know.

He's lightning in a short to medium sprint, my view is he's a high-ish key forward, although he may be better out of the square on rapid leads.

I think we've all had our 'acceptable' parameters skewed by ten years of the hardest-running key forward of all time...
I agree in that I dont see it a a major problem. However, didn't Richo say in a presser back before the draft, that Spencer was doing his own altitude training? So to say he is coming off holiday isn't entirely true

Of course it is a concern coming dead last, to the point where a note was made of it. If Spencer's tank is an issue, which is something we've suspected all along, then he'll struggle to play games in this day and age, with the limited rotations.

That said, the 2km run probably isn't one he needs to excel at. He'll be looking to do well with repeat sprint drills or something along those lines.

It is a concern if we're questioning the tank of both White and Lee. We can't carry both.

i'm in this boat. while it is a little concerning its not panic stations in my opinion.

seems unusual if anything...maybe hes just a bit cooked/sore. remember he did do extra over the off-season and attended a high altitude camp

i'll be concerned if i start hearing whispers that the club is concerned

What's the go with Spencer White? Looks like he has a few tools that could make him a damaging key forward, do you guys have faith in him making it?
No, he is a spud again after coming last in 2km time trial despite us not knowing if he is injured or even just has a slight niggle. Should be another trade period right now so we can TRADE TRADE TRADE.

What's the go with Spencer White? Looks like he has a few tools that could make him a damaging key forward, do you guys have faith in him making it?

Spencer has serious footy and athletic attributes (super-quick, huge leap, very strong overhead, good height, good kick for goal), but also lacks a tank and has had some serious wrist issues that have resulted in him needing pretty major wrist surgery in both his AFL preseasons so far, which would have made it harder for him to build up his very slight frame and build as much tank as is ideal.

Showed glimpses of what he can do in his two games late in the season though (was particularly impressed with a couple of his 1-on-1 contested marks where he used his body terrifically against bigger bodies, with perfect timing, that wouldn't be easy to teach) and if he he has a full enough preseason this time around it ought to do him the world of good.

Can genuinely be about as good as he wants to be as long as his body behaves itself and he works hard enough.

Spencer has serious footy and athletic attributes (super-quick, huge leap, very strong overhead, good height, good kick for goal), but also lacks a tank and has had some serious wrist issues that have resulted in him needing pretty major wrist surgery in both his AFL preseasons so far, which would have made it harder for him to build up his very slight frame and build as much tank as is ideal.

Showed glimpses of what he can do in his two games late in the season though (was particularly impressed with a couple of his 1-on-1 contested marks where he used his body terrifically against bigger bodies, with perfect timing, that wouldn't be easy to teach) and if he he has a full enough preseason this time around it ought to do him the world of good.

Can be about as good as he wants to be as long as his body behaves itself and he works hard enough.
Yeah cheers, that's all I was after. He's freakishly talented from what I've seen of him.

Yeah cheers, that's all I was after. He's freakishly talented from what I've seen of him.
Sorry if the sarcasm meter comment came across as harsh. It was meant as friendly banter among compatriots - I forgot you weren't a Saints supporter! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back