Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood were up and about in that first quarter and Hawthorn probably weren't really switched on being a round 23 meaningless game for them, they did go on and win by 11 goals though. Freo played unbelievable pressure football against them and it's no shame in losing to them at pattersons stadium, Hawthorn have now earnt home finals though and am expecting a different result next time. If you wanna talk about Hawthorns defensive lapse against Geelong then surely you have to acknowledge the 10 goals in a row the cats let them kick, that is a fair lapse isn't it?
Yep, both are prone to poor defensive lapses. That's why I have them at a similar pegging, but in a big final I would prefer a back 6 containing Lonergan, Taylor, Mackie, Rivers, Enright and Guthrie to one of Lake, Gibson, Duryea, Birchall, Hodge and Spangher/Clangermakers. I would also back Port to beat them in a final with their overall gameplan.
Lol nope. Hawthorn are only second to Sydney. Even that, their not that far behind.

I'd say Freo is next and then a toss up between Geelong and Port for fourth. Geelong's ladder position is flattering them and I think that will show come finals.
Freo is better than Hawthorn. Port I'd have slightly ahead as well.

If I did a "power rankings" I would put it as:

1. Sydney
2. Fremantle
3. Port Adelaide
4. Hawthorn
5. Geelong
6. North Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. Adelaide
9. West Coast
10. Collingwood
11. Gold Coast
12. Richmond
13. Western Bulldogs
14. Brisbane
15. Carlton
16. GWS
17. Melbourne
18. St. Kilda

Yep, both are prone to poor defensive lapses. That's why I have them at a similar pegging, but in a big final I would prefer a back 6 containing Lonergan, Taylor, Mackie, Rivers, Enright and Guthrie to one of Lake, Gibson, Duryea, Birchall, Hodge and Spangher/Clangermakers. I would also back Port to beat them in a final with their overall gameplan.

Freo is better than Hawthorn. Port I'd have slightly ahead as well.

If I did a "power rankings" I would put it as:

1. Sydney
2. Fremantle
3. Port Adelaide
4. Hawthorn
5. Geelong
6. North Melbourne
7. Essendon
8. Adelaide
9. West Coast
10. Collingwood
11. Gold Coast
12. Richmond
13. Western Bulldogs
14. Brisbane
15. Carlton
16. GWS
17. Melbourne
18. St. Kilda
Mine would look like this

1. Sydney
2. Hawthorn
3. Fremantle
4. Port
5. Geelong
6. North
7. Essendon
8. Richmond
9. Collingwood
10. Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. West Coast
13. Carlton
14. Bulldogs
15. Brisbane
16. GWS
17. Melbourne
18. St Kilda

I personally don't rate Geelong (post greats era).

Bar Selwood & possibly Gutherie, who are the next wave of midfield generals? Horlin - Smith is workmanlike, Duncan is a bit of a jack in the box (more outside though?), and Caddy isn't quite the player they had hoped they were getting.

They have a lot of good front runners though.

I personally don't rate Geelong (post greats era).

Bar Selwood & possibly Gutherie, who are the next wave of midfield generals? Horlin - Smith is workmanlike, Duncan is a bit of a jack in the box (more outside though?), and Caddy isn't quite the player they had hoped they were getting.

They have a lot of good front runners though.
Selwood, Guthrie, Duncan, Horlin-Smith is a good starting point. Horlin-Smith averages a tad under 20 disposals and 1 goal/game when playing full games this year, while not extremely prolific, he has something there that suggest he'll be a good player. Duncan averages 22 disposals and 1 goal/game, and has been excellent for them. Guthrie and Selwood we know will be/are very good. Caddy has been a tad overrated but really stepped it up against Carlton and Hawthorn. Christenson has also stepped up his inside game this season, averaging 10 CP/game and 4 clearances. The problem is that their CP and clearance numbers. They're 14th for CP differential, and dead last for clearance differential.

We are at the end of a long season.. I would suggest that the ladder is a pretty accurate reflection of where teams sit right now tbh.

Maybe you can get some odd results/power ratings at certain points in the season depending on injuries and the draw irregularities. But right now.. I think the ladder pretty accurately reflects the strength, and weakness, of teams.

I think Hawks and Sydney have clearly shown themselves to be powerhouse teams. Geelong, Freo and Port have been relatively consistent, have quality players, excellent coaching and great systems. This group has clearly been the stand out teams of the season.

I think there is a little drop back to North and us.. both teams have played blistering footy, followed by crap footy, followed by brilliant footy. Both deserve to be 'knocking on the door' but are not quite there yet based on this season.

Teams like Collingwood, WCE, Richmond, Adelaide and Gold Coast have shown they can win, but still missing something. Either a touch of class, killer instinct or enough polish to win the big games. The only difference being that Collingwood seems on the way down, whilst the other four look to be improving.

You then have the 'poor but building' group that includes Dogs and Lions and possibly GWS. These teams have shown enough in glimpses to suggest they are going one direction on the ladder.. and that is up. Time will tell whether potential can be converted and a push to the finals can be made.

You then have the bottom pack that includes Carlton, St Kilda and Melbourne... rubbish lists, complete crap. At least five years away from being competitive if we are honest with each other... they may never be proper footy clubs again. Serious doubts over their ability to recruit and develop players and serious gaps in both class and skill in their best 22.. without shuddering at the lack of depth in their overall list.

We are at the end of a long season.. I would suggest that the ladder is a pretty accurate reflection of where teams sit right now tbh.

Maybe you can get some odd results/power ratings at certain points in the season depending on injuries and the draw irregularities. But right now.. I think the ladder pretty accurately reflects the strength, and weakness, of teams.

I think Hawks and Sydney have clearly shown themselves to be powerhouse teams. Geelong, Freo and Port have been relatively consistent, have quality players, excellent coaching and great systems. This group has clearly been the stand out teams of the season.

I think there is a little drop back to North and us.. both teams have played blistering footy, followed by crap footy, followed by brilliant footy. Both deserve to be 'knocking on the door' but are not quite there yet based on this season.

Teams like Collingwood, WCE, Richmond, Adelaide and Gold Coast have shown they can win, but still missing something. Either a touch of class, killer instinct or enough polish to win the big games. The only difference being that Collingwood seems on the way down, whilst the other four look to be improving.

You then have the 'poor but building' group that includes Dogs and Lions and possibly GWS. These teams have shown enough in glimpses to suggest they are going one direction on the ladder.. and that is up. Time will tell whether potential can be converted and a push to the finals can be made.

You then have the bottom pack that includes Carlton, St Kilda and Melbourne... rubbish lists, complete crap. At least five years away from being competitive if we are honest with each other... they may never be proper footy clubs again. Serious doubts over their ability to recruit and develop players and serious gaps in both class and skill in their best 22.. without shuddering at the lack of depth in their overall list.

That is perhaps the perfect summary of the ladder. Well said rines

Theyre not.

Sydney are clearly the best team in the league. It's really not, Hawthorn has terrible defensive lapses (ala Geelong), yes their offensive system is the best in the league but they're clearly the 3rd best team in the league at best.

Their defensive lapses against Geelong and Freo, how they let Collingwood with no Beams, Swan and Adams dominate the midfield for a quarter, and quite possibly the most overrated defence in the league.

Their win against Sydney means **** all. I try not to blame the umpires but it was clearly 21 vs 18 on the field that night.
Are you taking the piss? The Swans were clearly advantaged by the umpiring in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you taking the piss? The Swans were clearly advantaged by the umpiring in that game.
You have to be kidding. Sydney were screwed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back