Query Player suspended for the most games ?

Remove this Banner Ad

According to my 2009 Season Guide, there was a Carlton player by the name of Tommy Downs who was suspended 4 times for a total of 60 weeks. Also I believe the bloke who decked the umpire (John Bourke) got 10 years reduced to 6 on appeal (Source: Heart of the Game DVD).

According to my 2009 Season Guide, there was a Carlton player by the name of Tommy Downs who was suspended 4 times for a total of 60 weeks. Also I believe the bloke who decked the umpire (John Bourke) got 10 years reduced to 6 on appeal (Source: Heart of the Game DVD).

Bourke also decked a couple of spectators on the same day. In the same vein Robbie Muir got a total of about 42 weeks of sitting in the stands roughly 2 thirds of his career total of 68 games.

This clip will give you a rough idea on why they called him "Mad dog"

Rod Grinter got 31 matches from 11 charges in senior games (not sure if he biffed anybody in the 2s but you would assume so) - that's the MFC record and I would suggest up it's up there with the best of the best since WW2.

Doug Fraser and Alex Lang (both Carlton) were suspended for 99 games (Five years) in 1910 for bribery. Fraser never played again, passing away in 1919. Lang would return in 1916 and retire the following season.

Fred Rutley (North) was suspended in 1925 for 89 weeks for kicking twice, striking three times and being involved in a melee. He returned in 1930.

POST WW2:

Ben Cousins (Rich) was suspended for 22 weeks in 2007 for bring the game into disrepute.

Phil Carman (Ess) was suspended for 20 weeks in 1980 for striking and head butting an umpire.

Robert Muir (StK) got 12 weeks in 1984 for striking.

David Rhys-Jones got booked 21 times, suspended for 17 games.
Gary Ablett Sr got booked 14 times, suspended for 21 games.
Robert Muir got booked 13 times, suspended for 22 games.
Phil Carman got booked 9 times, suspended for 24 games.
Carl Ditterich got booked 19 times, suspended for 30 games.
Rod Grinter got booked 10 times, suspended for 31 games.
Barry Hall got booked 13 times, suspended for 22 games.
Jim Krakour got booked 14 times, suspended for 23 games.
Tony Lockett got suspended for 23 games, booked 14 times.
Dermott Brereton got booked 15 times, suspended 30 games.

And a whole lot more at http://stats.afl.com.au/public/stat...roup_idIndex=0&season_idIndex=0&guiltyIndex=0

Diesel Williams, iirc, got 9 weeks when and umpire got in his face. He would have copped a few others along the way, belting Dwayne Lamb and maybe Dennis Banks spring to mind immdiately.

Yep, just looked it up. Charged 19 times, found guilty 12 times, suspended for a total of 34 games.

I'm sure the longest single suspension given since the change from VFL to AFL would have been Justin Charles getting 16 weeks for drug use.
Ben Cousins got 22 weeks for drug use (bringing the game into disrepute).. So yeah, if we're counting "drug suspensions" then Cousins takes the cake..

Longest suspension that doesn't involve suspension due to drugs or bringing the game into disrepute since VFL turned into AFL in 1990, is Nicky Winmar who was suspended for 10 games in the inaugural year of the AFL.

Alex Lang was suspended for 99 games for match fixing in 1905. Of the three players suspended he was the only one to really play again after that length of time.

I have Gillespie as exonerated and Bongo Lang and Doug Frazer being given 5 years

the 3aw book from early '80s lists top career suspensions as
99 A lang (Carl VFL)
91 F Rutley (nth mel VFL)
65 T Downs (Carl VFL)
61 R Muir (Stkilda, West torrens, Woodville)
59 J Sharp (Brunswick yarravile VFA)
57 E Bennetts (West Adel SANFL)
51 G Ruduph (Rich VFL Coberg /Oakleigh VFA)
51 D Fraser (Richmond Port Melb VFA, TAS)
48 P Betros (Cambelltown NSW)
44 W Burns (Rich VFL) orginally life reduced to 2 yrs
40 C Dyson (Essendon A VFA)
39 P Carmen (SA VFL ACT)
34 G Topping (Carl VFL)

according to Wikipedia Fred Rutley has the longest suspension for an on field incident
89 games for a brawl in a game against Geelong

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fletcher a stealth Bomber
It surprised me to learn that he has been reported 18 times, and missed 17 games through suspension. He sits, uncomfortably, alongside names such as David Rhys-Jones, Carl Ditterich, Greg Williams, Glenn Archer and Dermott Brereton. He is clumsy rather than vicious, awkward as opposed to brutal. It's fair to say he hasn't come to grips with the tripping rule, which accounts for six of his reports.
http://stats.afl.com.au/public/stat...roup_idIndex=0&season_idIndex=0&guiltyIndex=0

image.jpg

19 reports and 20 matches missed due to suspensions.

Clumsy...

According to my 2009 Season Guide, there was a Carlton player by the name of Tommy Downs who was suspended 4 times for a total of 60 weeks. Also I believe the bloke who decked the ump(John Bourke) got 10 years reduced to 6 on appeal (Source: Heart of the Game DVD).

Tommy Downs was suspended for 31 games for kicking Richmond captain (Maurie Hunter) in a 1931 game (during a pile up) but a photo turned up 20 years later clearing him - it wasn't his foot, it was Frank O'Roukes'

Last edited:
Rod Grinter got 31 matches from 11 charges in senior games (not sure if he biffed anybody in the 2s but you would assume so) - that's the MFC record and I would suggest up it's up there with the best of the best since WW2.
He's the coach of my school footy team :stern look

Tommy Downs was suspended for 31 games for kicking Richmond captain (Maurie Hunter) in a 1931 game (during a pile up) but a photo turned up 20 years later clearing him - it wasn't his foot, it was Frank O'Roukes'
The Collingwood player Len Murphy meat that I believe he was also casted in the late 70's/early 80's TV series Prisoner as a crooked prison screw on 'Prisoner'.

Off topic - Darwin Buffaloes? Nice I am friends with about 2/3 of their U18's

The Collingwood player Len Murphy meat that I believe he was also casted in the late 70's/early 80's TV series Prisoner as a crooked prison screw on 'Prisoner'.

Off topic - Darwin Buffaloes? Nice I am friends with about 2/3 of their U18's

Good to hear from you.
I look forward to some of those young Buffs
pushing their way into the senior team this year

Good to hear from you.
I look forward to some of those young Buffs
pushing their way into the senior team this year
Yeah love the Buffs gave up a family trait of being a St Mary's fan in order to be with around 20 or so mates from school. Played last year U18s for the 2013/14 season.

I have Gillespie as exonerated and Bongo Lang and Doug Frazer being given 5 years

the 3aw book from early '80s lists top career suspensions as
99 A lang (Carl VFL)
91 F Rutley (nth mel VFL)
65 T Downs (Carl VFL)
61 R Muir (Stkilda, West torrens, Woodville)
59 J Sharp (Brunswick yarravile VFA)
57 E Bennetts (West Adel SANFL)
51 G Ruduph (Rich VFL Coberg /Oakleigh VFA)
51 D Fraser (Richmond Port Melb VFA, TAS)
48 P Betros (Cambelltown NSW)
44 W Burns (Rich VFL) orginally life reduced to 2 yrs
40 C Dyson (Essendon A VFA)
39 P Carmen (SA VFL ACT)
34 G Topping (Carl VFL)

according to Wikipedia Fred Rutley has the longest suspension for an on field incident
89 games for a brawl in a game against Geelong
There was a guy named Neville Hill that played in the TFL for New Norfolk that got about 3.5 years in 1980 for hitting an umpire at Sandy Bay's Queenborough Oval.
It was later downgraded to equal a suspension of forty matches.
In the TFL Statewide League of 1986-2000 the longest suspension was handed out to Steven Rattray, then at North Hobart, in the 1991 Grand Final when he got 16 matches for kicking North Launceston's (and later Sydney Swan) Andrew Dunkley in the groin twice.
He served a total of 37 matches all up in a stint that involved playing for North Hobart, Hobart and Sandy Bay.
Almost as bad was Burnie's vicious Dale Whish-Wilson who was involved in several untoward incidents including being charged by police over an on-field assault on Mark McQueen at Devonport in the 1988 Elimination Final and causing the abandonment of a 1993 roster match at Glenorchy's KGV Oval after being sent off and later returning the field in the final quarter, after being told to get off the ground by the officiating umpire, he told him to get f*****d and the umpires walked off the ground and abandoned the match which caused pandemonium on the terraces. He served 35 weeks all up.

Anyone know where I could find historical AFL/VFL tribunal records or records on each players suspensions?

The above link is kaput.
This is still "out there". It covers only up to early 2010 and only has results from league matches. It looks like the pre-season game tribunal results cannot be accessed:-

http://wayback.archive.org/web/2013...on_idIndex=0&guiltyIndex=0&AFLstatisticMenu=1

Kevin Taylor's Footystats has the tribunal news from more recent years (see links at the bottom of the page for 2010-2014).

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Archive/Tribunal2015.html

Last edited:
Ben Cousins got 22 weeks for drug use (bringing the game into disrepute).. So yeah, if we're counting "drug suspensions" then Cousins takes the cake..

Longest suspension that doesn't involve suspension due to drugs or bringing the game into disrepute since VFL turned into AFL in 1990, is Nicky Winmar who was suspended for 10 games in the inaugural year of the AFL.

Fairly sure Terry Daniher was on holidays for the first 12 weeks of 1991 due to his role in the 1990 GF brawl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back