All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne player top 10 in Brownlow.......lol... C'mon mate, really. Only 4 wins doesn't earn many votes

9 games where Melbourne were in front in the final term plus another couple which were close (GC, Saints).

Its more that Bernie and Tyson might nick a couple.

EDIT: Wasn't that long ago that Moloney raked in a bunch of threes either.

If his other aggregates stacked up pretty well against the other players in his position who are considered to be locks for the team? Sure.
The equivalent to Ablett's dominance over the competition this year would be more like if Waite led the Coleman race by 20-25 at Round 15.
To match Ablett's level of dominance Waite would have had to have kicked around 60-75. I've got him as bog in eight, possibly nine matches.

Fair enough...i'm just wondering because this Ablett thing is going to go on and on and on.

I'm just curious if...
A. There's a massive "But its GARY !!" thing going on.
B. We all luv Gary, so lets give him an AA slot coz he's just that fken good.
C. He's a name player...a champion. If it was Uncle Arthur we'd argue it was a fluke...then say he's not a chance at becoming All Australian because he simply hasnt done enough.
D. We extrapolate for rovers and assume he would've beaten all other midfielders in all areas, but we dont do it for every other slot on the field.

You do realise that Ablett wasnt somehow 100% better than every other rover....Pendlebury for starters was absolutely murdering it early-mid season as well, arguable if he was #1 or Ablett for a long time....yet plenty seem to have somehow gone off Pendlebury and relegated him to their bench or even totally out of the 22. Pendlebury played a relatively full season too.

Did gary leave such an impression by Rnd 15 that we feel he's owed a spot ?..or is there some common sense that i just aint seeing ?

You guys sure you arnt suffering a little from Garymania or Garylexia ?

FB: Talia Mackenzie Malceski
HB: Taylor Hooker Lewis
C: Beams Pendlebury Rockliff
HF: Gray Frankin Harvey
FF: Breust Roughead Schulz
Foll: Jacobs Selwood Fyfe

Bench: Sandilands Kennedy Martin

Sub: Heppell

Gonna cop flack for no Ablett, but I just can't pick him after only playing 15 games.

I know some may disagree but I really can't see how they don't put in Ablett. Averages wise, he's 2nd in disposals, 1st in clearances and contested possessions, 2nd in goal assists, and 3rd in inside 50s. Rockliff will be very stiff to miss as well.

Averages - not total. Note the amount of games missed and that may count against Gazza.

Rockliff may also be considered a lock just due to his sheer weight of numbers and stellar back half of the year.

Fair enough...i'm just wondering because this Ablett thing is going to go on and on and on.

I'm just curious if...
A. There's a massive "But its GARY !!" thing going on.
B. We all luv Gary, so lets give him an AA slot coz he's just that fken good.
C. He's a name player...a champion. If it was Uncle Arthur we'd argue it was a fluke...then say he's not a chance at becoming All Australian because he simply hasnt done enough.
D. We extrapolate for rovers and assume he would've beaten all other midfielders in all areas, but we dont do it for every other slot on the field.

You do realise that Ablett wasnt somehow 100% better than every other rover....Pendlebury for starters was absolutely murdering it early-mid season as well, arguable if he was #1 or Ablett for a long time....yet plenty seem to have somehow gone off Pendlebury and relegated him to their bench or even totally out of the 22. Pendlebury played a relatively full season too.

Did gary leave such an impression by Rnd 15 that we feel he's owed a spot ?..or is there some common sense that i just aint seeing ?

You guys sure you arnt suffering a little from Garymania or Garylexia ?

Gary Ablett Jr is arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game.

I'm perfectly fine with him getting in based on 15 rounds of being the best footballer in the league.

If he'd missed the first 7 rounds instead of the last 7, this wouldn't even be up for discussion, he'd be a lock.

It might sound a bit cheap, but he shouldn't have what will be a phenomenal record tarnished by an injury either. He deserves a stack of consecutive AA guernseys on his list of honours.

Ok maybe it was a dumb analogy, but i'll rephrase it anyway.

Lets say this is the Coleman Race after they've played 15 by about the end of June.

FU Bollox 48
J Shultz 43
T Hawkins 40
L Franklin 40
N Riewoldt 39
J Roughead 39

Do i still get named All Australian Full Forward this yr ahead of the rest if i got injured at that stage ?
Hell...i was killing it. I was jumping all over that spud Lake. I was 2nd in goal assists. Media was all over me, and i even did my share of token defence to keep the coach happy etc etc

As a no namer, do i get given the same arguments that Gary is receiving ? or was it a fluke ? Should my contribution be judged on the final results or do i get the gig based on my "averages" or standing back then ? ...does it matter that plebs like Hawkins/Roughead/Franklin finished the season a fair way in front of me ?

Is this treatment we offer Gary only reserved for midfielders ? Is it reserved just for name players ?

So, in reality if Scott Pendlebury had been injured after playing just 15 games he would be thought of MORE than he is now. He was also in s**t hot form when Gary got injured...yet now some of us (as well as media morons) dont even have him on the AA bench anymore :confused: Seems to me that he would have had a better chance of being named All Australian if he just quit footy altogether at the end of June to start up a dental practice in Lulie St...same time as when Ablett finished up :confused:

So let me get this right...lets say Scott Pendlebury started to finally tire a bit and maybe the niggles started to add up...pretty standard. However he continues in pretty good form (just not quite as good as earlier) and finishes out a long season. So people start to mark him negatively for that do they ?:confused: ...at the same time claiming that Ablett should make the team based on averages from 2 months ago...where he was placed AT THAT MOMENT ?

Why isnt Pendlebury being rated that way ?...i'm starting to think some of you lot might have an unhealthy secret crush on Gary...its like he's meant to be treated differently because he's Gary !

After 15 games Pendlebury was as much of a lock for AA as Ablett was. So what the F did Pendlebury do to deserve this treatment ?

You can tell i'm struggling with this Gary thing this year.:cry:

Last edited:
Oh dear Bollox... Ablett and Pendlebury weren't on par after 15 rounds.. if you want proof then look at the count brownlow night at round 15, heck look at any major media award at round 15 this year, Ablett is still top 3 in most media awards and ahead of Pendlebury in lots of them even though he missed the last 7 games. This isn't putting him in the team on name. I don't think you even watched him play the first 15 rounds. He still has more goals kicked than all the other pure mids even though he missed the last 7 games. Use your brain.

Your analogy of goalkickers is wrong... it would be if Buddy was on like 75 goals and Kennedy was on 40. And Buddy still finished top 2 at the end of the season, he should still be in the team if he played 15 games.

Now that the squad is released I'll update. This is what they should pick instead of throwing too many mids in the pockets and flanks.

FB: N.Smith - D.Talia - E.Mackenzie
HB: B.Smith - C.Hooker - N.Malceski
C: D.Heppell - J.Kennedy - J.Lewis
HF: R.Gray - N.Riewoldt - B.Harvey
FF: L.Breust - L.Franklin - J.Roudhead
R: S.Jacobs - N.Fyfe - T.Rockliff
INT: G.Ablett - L.Parker - S.Pendlebury - J.Selwood
You pretty much copied my team, i like it, only real difference is Riewoldt for Hawkins which i am still unsure about myself.

Does anyone else have a feeling that Priddis will make the team? Want it to happen to troll the West Coast supporters.
I think he will on the bench, he kind of deserves it but at the same time really doesn't, even WCE supporters admit he was epic in the middle of the year. He's not in my team. If Mackenzie doesn't make it and Priddis does the selctors really will have failed.

Any thoughts on the 100% locks for the team?

I personally only have Fyfe, Franklin and Gray as indisputable. The others I think you could reasonably make a case for their rivals, although those arguments would be fairly weak.
It depends, a lock from the selectors point of view? Because i think Selwood is a lock in the selectors eyes but shouldn't be in mine.

I would add breust, has easily been the best small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your analogy of goalkickers is wrong... it would be if Buddy was on like 75 goals and Kennedy was on 40. And Buddy still finished top 2 at the end of the season, he should still be in the team if he played 15 games.
I think the other way to look at is if a team could "rent" a player which one would they choose in hindsight. So would a team "rent" ablett for his 15 games or say priddis for his 22 this year. I just say priddis because i think he is around about the bench.

Then there is Rance's 17 games, versus 22 games from Mackenzie or Hooker. I find that one very easy to choose given I think the latter two have been better per game anyway.

JPK, Bruest, Buddy, Roughy, Fyfe, Gray are locks. Ablett and Selwood probables.
No way Breust is a lock, he was pathetic the last 2 months, had only 1 good game in that period and was against Fremantle where they lost. Would have Betts in there before him, Betts kicked 50 himself and set up 29 to be the number 1 assisted this season, his consistency should be rewarded.

Had we beaten Carlton in round 6, we'd be playing finals. Did Carlton end our season? No. Not sure why you're suggesting it was Rance that ended it either considering it was a terrible night for forwards and Martin was probably BOG.

He isn't very likely for the final team. Mackenzie, Talia and Hooker are very likely for the final team.

No I wouldn't like a wager, as I already stated, because I don't make bets on Bigfooty.
You astound me with your logic and football knowledge. Not in a good way.

No way Breust is a lock, he was pathetic the last 2 months, had only 1 good game in that period and was against Fremantle where they lost. Would have Betts in there before him, Betts kicked 50 himself and set up 29 to be the number 1 assisted this season, his consistency should be rewarded.
3 against Adelaide, 3 Against Sydney, 3 against Melbourne all in the last two months and the Freo game he kicked 2.

Betts had 1...yes only 1 more assist than Breust this year. Breust kicked more goals. Breust took more marks inside 50. Breust had more inside 50's. Breust had more clearances.

Betts is good and deserves a place in the team, but not at the expense of Breust

I wouldn't be surprised if 4 key defenders made it, only 3 small defenders in the team this year.

B N Smith Lonergan Hooker
HB B Smith McKenzie Malceski
C Rockliff Selwood (c) Lewis
HF Gray Franklin Parker
F Betts Hawkins Roughead
R Jacobs JPK Fyfe
Int Gunston Harvey Priddis Heppell

Sorry Gaz 15/16 games doesn't cut it, 18 does. Taylor has been solid but has been a little down, Lonergan has been Geelongs best defender instead. Jacobs does more around the ground than Sandi. Gray and Harvey might be fighting for the one spot in the team, Pendles would probably come in instead. Beams and Pendles were down the second half of the year, they don't deserve a nod, Sidebottom does. Heppell was huge all season, he deserves a spot, likewise with Priddis (*Who will come 2nd or 3rd come Brownlow night). Betts over Breust, way more consistent, Breust has benefitted from Hawthorns superiority and has kicked a lot of easy goals off the back of good teamwork.

Can't believe Hodge or Sloane weren't called up, I reckon there's too many key defenders and forwards in the squad, for etc Talia and Schultz shouldn't be in the squad. The 3 best inside mids were named this year though in JPK, Priddis and Libba, probably only JPK will make it, but I reckon Priddis should be rewarded.

B - Mckenzie, Talia, N.Smith
HB - Malceski, Hooker, B.Smith
C - Rockliff, Pendlebury, Heppel
HF - Gray, Franklin, Harvey
F - Bruest, Roughead, N.Reidwoldt
R - Sandilands, Fyfe, Kennedy (C)

INT - Lewis, Ablett, Boak, Parker

I'm pulling the trigger on the 5 Swans that made the squad. I made this team on my notepad on Sunday and I think it still holds now.

It was very hard to put the bench together. I wanted to include Betts and Priddis but couldn't. I also doubt Reidwoldt will make the team but I insist that he should. Involved in a whopping 40% of St Kilda's scores and would have another 5-10 goals in a Top 4 side in my opinion.

Yet he toweled up Nick Smith who is being talked up as AA in that time.
Not sure that's pathetic.

Betts had plenty of stinkers one especially against the Hawks with 4 touches against a player in his 3rd game.
Breusts defensive efforts are also much better than Betts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back