Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right. It is the propaganda by radio people like 5AA that obviously screen the callers to skew the impression the way they want. Officially 93% of Power supporters indicate their allegiance to the black and white.

And the majority of the rest likely don't even follow an SANFL club.
This is another example of people like Stephen Rowe and Graham Cornes elevating the SANFL to a level of consciousness in peoples hearts and minds that in reality it simply doesn't occupy in this day and age.

If "half" our members hate black and white so much why do the black & white New Era hats fly off the shelves almost as quickly as they can be put on display?

Literally everyone loves that Prison Bar guernsey. Even people who previously absolutely hated it love the fact that they can now support a team wearing it.

There is an aura about it that no other football guernsey has, and it's scarcity at the elite level has only elevated it's legendary status.

As a Port Magpies fanatic of the past, I am obviously not aggrieved at us wearing the PB Guernsey, but I am concerned that it has been an unnecessary distraction for our club, supporters and potentially our players. Football IMO is about playing the ball and contest on matchday. I honestly don't care what we wear this weekend, as long as we give an unbelievably good account of ourselves in the actual contest and win the bloody match. Preferably this will be done with a united and passionate crowd behind us.
We have not upheld the honour of the prison bar Guernsey all that well at AFL level in the recent past. Any Port supporter who is disillusioned to think that wearing the PBs will work in our players' favour on the weekend is wrong.
This contest will come down to which team (players and coaches) is best prepared and best able to execute on game day with greatest level of intensity and composure.
Any distractions or peripheral motivations are unwanted IMO.
I have an uneasy feeling about this week's contest on so many levels (some just nerves, some anxiety about our recent form including the Freo game, some concern that we just don't match up well against Richmond, and a lot because I rate Richmond's 22 and their form higher than perhaps I should). The events of the start of this week have done nothing to make me feel better about our chances of winning.

Literally everyone loves that Prison Bar guernsey. Even people who previously absolutely hated it love the fact that they can now support a team wearing it.

There is an aura about it that no other football guernsey has, and it's scarcity at the elite level has only elevated it's legendary status.
Last year's loss to Carlton in the final H&A round shattered me at the time by our players' inability to honour history (both last game at Aami and PB Guernsey).
I honestly don't have that much confidence that this group of players responds as much as we'd like to the privilege and honour of wearing our historical jumper.
I can't see the PBs working to our players' advantage - really praying I'm wrong though.

Wayne Carey said it best - fight's lost. AFL chooses the jumpers. You're playing a final. Better make that your focus, instead of how fabulous you look...

It's not like they're making you run out in someone else's strip...

You know we're stoked to be wearing what we're wearing, right?

We understand that it's a compromise and a consolation prize... but as far as those things go it's a good one. Fight's drawn.

Totally agree about focus. I see no evidence to suggest that this is having an impact on the playing or coaching groups.

I am fairly sure that a few years ago when Port played with the black and white jumper in a heritage round of the AFL, Collingwood objected to us selling them, presumably because somehow it would affect the sales of their own jumper. We could only wear the jumper if they weren't put on sale to the general public.

What a joke.

Yeah because a whole load of Collingwood supporters were going to cross the border to buy one at a Port game, that is Eddie dipsh*t all over.

In reality if I was Eddie i would object too, can't blame him for protecting his club, you have to blame the AFL for pandering to his every whim

I honestly don't have that much confidence that this group of players responds as much as we'd like to the privilege and honour of wearing our historical jumper.

Doesn't matter if they don't. If they need any extra motivation in a home final there's something deeply wrong.

Totally agree about focus. I see no evidence to suggest that this is having an impact on the playing or coaching groups.

Not one iota.

They're probably amused by the whole fiasco.

This is something for us fans to rail against and get worked up over.

And the AFL would be loving every minute of this controversy. Coz it's made this game so much bigger than it otherwise would've been. Sunday is just gonna be mental.

Absolutely. Friggin. Mental.

Last year's loss to Carlton in the final H&A round shattered me at the time by our players' inability to honour history (both last game at Aami and PB Guernsey).
I can't see the PBs working to our players' advantage - really praying I'm wrong though.

Ah, but there is one Port Adelaide tradition that is even greater than the Prison Bar guernsey, and that is that we exist to win premierships.

We smashed Carlton off the park to the tune of what, 40 points up in the 2nd quarter before well and truly putting the cue in the rack in what was a dead rubber to focus on the following week, and finals football. Any dishonour to the guernsey was made up for in spades by going over and smashing Collingwood on their MCG the following week in a final

The playing group understood that we had bigger fish to fry. That sort of drop off wont happen this week.

77094_647b704641733a45e41fb85fed3bf519.jpg

Just look at that. Absolutely beautiful. I would give my left nut to have that become our permanent home strip again.

And Port Adelaide lost in all of this exactly how? I'm absolutely over the moon with how this has turned out (I suspect 95% of us are despite what the Adelaide media would have everyone believe), I can't wait to see the boys running out in it.

If these ever go on sale I will probably bankrupt myself ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because a whole load of Collingwood supporters were going to cross the border to buy one at a Port game, that is Eddie dipsh*t all over.

In reality if I was Eddie i would object too, can't blame him for protecting his club, you have to blame the AFL for pandering to his every whim
Could you imagine what would happen if Collingwood played a home final and were told to wear an away guernsey? Eddie would march on AFL HQ with 70,000 of the toothless army and burn it down.

Evans gave the best hint at this on AW last night

he said when he looked at the two clubs, he looked for the best contrast of jumpers, and that was your white, and our home.

the concerning thing for me here was why was he looking in the first place? surely if its about a lack of clash you say we had concerns about how close the RFC clash jumper is to the PA home one?

my concern is this is setting up a move to jumpers being dictated by what looks good for TV, not who is the home team

this is just a bald-faced ******* lie.

i didn't hear the interview, but any interviewer worth his salt would have immediately followed that up with asking him what his decision-making process was before the EF last year between richmond and carlton. if he looks for the best contrast of jumpers, surely carlton would have been made to wear their clash jumper with plenty of white in it. but they didn't of course. neither club wore a clash. instead, they both wore their predominantly dark home jumpers in the bright afternoon sun - and it was a horrible spectacle.

remember the 2011 semi-final when west coast were made to wear white shorts in a home final against carlton? the injustice wasn't the home team wearing white shorts (it's the only sensible thing sometimes, ie when we play geelong it's far better than the alternative) - it was that the kits were still too alike for a decent spectacle, when the clash could have easily been solved by putting carlton in their sky blue/sturt clash jumper which they had that year.

this decision had little to do with the clash-resolving merits of richmond's clash jumper (though it is substandard), and everything to do with some clubs playing by different sets of rules in this competition.

this is just a bald-faced ******* lie.

i didn't hear the interview, but any interviewer worth his salt would have immediately followed that up with asking him what his decision-making process was before the EF last year between richmond and carlton. if he looks for the best contrast of jumpers, surely carlton would have been made to wear their clash jumper with plenty of white in it. but they didn't of course. neither club wore a clash. instead, they both wore their predominantly dark home jumpers in the bright afternoon sun - and it was a horrible spectacle.

remember the 2011 semi-final when west coast were made to wear white shorts in a home final against carlton? the injustice wasn't the home team wearing white shorts (it's the only sensible thing sometimes - ie when we play geelong, it's far better than the alternative) - it was that the kits were still too alike for a decent spectacle, when the clash could have easily been solved by putting carlton in their sky blue/sturt clash jumper which they had that year.

this decision had little to do with the clash-resolving merits of richmond's clash jumper (though it is substandard), and everything to do with some clubs playing by different sets of rules in this competition.

I don't think its a lie, its a change in policy

My suspicion (and that of a few here) is C7 was on the blower, and they made the request. The clash has never been about "what looks best" its always been about "are they too close". Now its about "not a good look for finals" and "best possible contrast" (my paraphrasing, not his word for word)

As Ive said previously, I wouldn't be surprised if this isnt the last time a home team is asked to change for the improvement of the visual display for the TV viewer

Of course it is not giving us a winning edge. If the players are to be distracted the distraction had already happened once they were informed they were not wearing the home jumper.

Hey, we've won many great battles in the famous black and white but it isn't like we've never lost wearing it in our sanfl hey days, but over a century we've honoured that jumper (and the club) pretty well I think.

Come on, everything you stated about Richmond's form is more to the issue. You're right, I think Richmond are favourites. That is what is our team's concern, their form, their run, their momentum, and our inconsistencies and poor kick for goal. The jumper hasn't got any team over the line, and it won't.

My suspicion (and that of a few here) is C7 was on the blower, and they made the request. The clash has never been about "what looks best" its always been about "are they too close". Now its about "not a good look for finals" and "best possible contrast" (my paraphrasing, not his word for word)

As Ive said previously, I wouldn't be surprised if this isnt the last time a home team is asked to change for the improvement of the visual display for the TV viewer

it absolutely is not a change in policy. with respect, as a supporter of a club who is generally a beneficiary of this bullshit you may not be as acutely aware of it as we are.

if port were playing richmond in that EF last year we would have been told to wear our white jumper, and rightly so. but it was carlton, and they weren't. why? because they're carlton.

there's nothing more to it than that.

I have no doubt that this was the case as well.

The AFL wanted Richmond in their home guernsey, not because the clash isn't adequate clashwise, but because it isn't adequate in a nationally broadcasted showpiece event designwise. It's very, very possible that Channel 7 were involved in the decision.

Because our clash is relatively good, the best looking match up that didn't clash was always going to be our clash with your home.

KT has managed to turn this slap in the face into a positive for our club, and now the match up will look as good as it possible can without clashing, basically.

I'd imagine we'll see a new Richmond clash out of this, which frankly is good news for everyone.

it absolutely is not a change in policy. with respect, as a supporter of a club who is generally a beneficiary of this bullshit you may not be as acutely aware of it as we are.

if port were playing richmond in that EF last year we would have been told to wear our white jumper, and rightly so. but it was carlton, and they weren't. why? because they're carlton.

This is also undeniably the case.

If we played either of Carlton or Richmond way, we would wear white. When they play eachother, it's black on navy. The same is always true for the big 4 Victorian clubs, and without a hardline policy change will continue to be true, especially in finals.

The fact that Collingwood have their white clash and rarely ever wear it unless playing us or St Kilda away is ridiculous. It should be getting worn in every match where they'd wear white shorts.

Not one iota.

They're probably amused by the whole fiasco.

This is something for us fans to rail against and get worked up over.

And the AFL would be loving every minute of this controversy. Coz it's made this game so much bigger than it otherwise would've been. Sunday is just gonna be mental.

Absolutely. Friggin. Mental.
It's all a part of the show. Sport is an entertainment industry.

The main reasons I say something has changed is that (1) we needed no clash against Carlton last year, and (2) the AFL re-approved our clash design in the off-season

Since then, they decided it wasn't good enough against WCE, good enough against you, and they are hinting we will need to change (although they are yet to have the balls to say this outright).

We will change in the offseason - no argument there. Our clash was designed to meet the "current" light/dark ratio requirement. From Evans comments yesterday though, its clear this criteria (which is rubbish to begin with) has been turfed.

FWIW if we play you again at home, with a new yellow or white clash, and the AFL pull this s**t again, I will be livid

Could you imagine what would happen if Collingwood played a home final and were told to wear an away guernsey? Eddie would march on AFL HQ with 70,000 of the toothless army and burn it down.

You mean made to wear their white with black instead of black with white guernsey?

Seriously, Eddie would just say they don't have one and aren't getting one so suck it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back