2014 rising star

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to the Brisbane Lions on having the next Rhys Palmer.
Have you looked at each player's disposal efficiency?

sourgrapes.jpg

i blame ling for his 2 votes ****en flog.
I

Ling also didn't give Taylor any votes. Obviously he saw this year a bit different to the rest!

Its a bit depressing, but not unexpected to see some childish people are more happier about the loser and baiting losing candidate's team's fans, then actually congratulating the worthy winner.

Pretty happy with the result. Cashed in on taylor, bont got 2nd with only 16 games. What ripping 1st seasons these 2 had.

I must say the failed meltdown calls are pretty hilarious. Followed by nothing but congrats. Imagine if a collingwood/rich/north player ran 2nd by a vote? BF would crash.

Well done to the Brisbane Lions on having the next Rhys Palmer.

Comments like this are really disappointing and not to say childish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you looked at each player's disposal efficiency?

sourgrapes.jpg

DOB 17/2/95 Ht 175 Wt 73

Anyone who has been reading along has probably assumed that I forgot about Taylor. No I have not forgotten about him its just that I do not rate him at all and, if they are reading this, Lewis and his family probably do not want to read any further on this one. Every year there are one or two high ranking guys who I am more than happy for other teams to take in the first round. This year Taylor is that man and my dislike is more than anyone I can remember. Personally I would be disappointed if the Lions took him anywhere in this draft.

Let's to the good first. He has excellent speed and has the endurance to use that speed often. He is capable of hitting packs and exploding out the other side. His speed is a weapon that he likes to use...entirely too much for me but more of that later. To go with excellent speed he also has very good agility and he can be very difficult to tackle when he has some room to work in. He can occasionally not be as elusive as he thinks he is but on the whole even I have to conclude that his evasiveness is very good.

The other thing I give him credit for is his ability to find the ball. He is probably the biggest ball magnet in this draft. He spreads really well and gets to space and demands to be used. He is a predominately an outside player and receiver at contests but when push comes to shove he can go in and get it himself. His inside work is not at the same standard as the better inside players available but he is capable of winning his own ball.

Okay my problems with him. First up his running drives me insane. As a Brisbane supporter I think he is a clone of Justin Sherman the way he runs himself trouble time after time after time. He takes off at full pace and has very poor awareness of what is around him and when he should get rid of it. He constantly holds the ball too long and ends up panicking. He has a frenetic style (or a chicken with his head cut off as I described his style in my notes) where he tries to do too much and gets himself into trouble. As mentioned above he spreads very well and runs to space but often he does not run to the best spots and he demands and receives the ball in places where trouble is going to come his way.

At the Champs he was corralled, tackled and scragged constantly when he ran himself into trouble. With the increased size, strength, pace and smarts he is going to get smashed unless he learns where to run and I am no sure he has the instincts and that has to be a big concerns. He is a very elusive character and avoids tackles well when he is cornered but at AFL they will not miss these tackles and there are going to be quite a few people as quick as he is and another thing which is going to frustrate the supporters of the team who picks him is the suicide handballs he delivers when it looks like he is cornered. He gets himself into trouble and then gets rid of the ball to players who are flat footed and have an opposition player sitting in their back pocket. Again the panic seems pretty ingrained and it will be a difficult for his coaches to break.

He has a reputation for being an excellent kick and again I just do not see it. He has pretty good style off either foot but he misses too many targets and often not by small margins. That is particularly the case off his non-preferred left. His kicking looks good and he will deliver some good kicks during games but he will give 3 or 4 clangers per game and quite a few others that result in turnovers. He particularly struggles under pressure whether physical or situational. He is decent around goal but does not deliver into 50 well.

Defensively he has the speed and endurance to impact games but at the moment he does not have the application. This is not such an unusual thing at under 18 level but for a small kid who is looking to break into the AFL I would expect better. When he does make a tackle his technique leaves a lot to be desired and he lacks strength to effect big hits. He also has the shortest arms of anyone measured at camp which does not help him wrap up opposition players.

When I have seen him look good it is often when he takes the first option or uses the ball when in space. It is going to need to be drummed into him that he needs to use the first and best option and he is not going to be able to run the length of the field and kick the goal. There is hope but there is going to be a lot of pain along the way to overcome engrained habits. I think the defensive work should be the easiest to acquire given it is largely about desire and I see him starting his career up forward. He is okay around goals and he should be able to provide good pressure.

Taylor was Shifter's TAC player of the year and he did well in that competition. The standard in the TAC was fairly poor this year and playing against inferior athletes his deficiencies were not evident but they were well and truly shown up at the Champs and I think they will be stark at AFL level. He will be quicker than most but he will not have the same level of advantage as he enjoyed at TAC level and the size, endurance and discipline of AFL players are going to see him struggle I think.

Ling also didn't give Taylor any votes. Obviously he saw this year a bit different to the rest!

Works for North doesn't he? A not so subtle attempt to get McDonald over the line. Don't know how an employee of a club can be allowed to vote on this. And yeah I know the rest of the panel are biased/idiots.

Its a bit depressing, but not unexpected to see some childish people are more happier about the loser and baiting losing candidate's team's

Same poster an hour ago. All over the shop mate.

Imagine if Bonts wins by a vote or two, can see Lions fans melting over Darcy's votes. LOL

Yep nothing wrong with second place, in the end careers are always defined on what they achieved over 10 years, not by a name inscribed on an award in year one. Bulldogs fans should be happy, and a majority are so sorry to disappoint you all. That they have a player who is dominant in just about every category, along with Aish, Dunstan and Merret. Fans on either teams cannot be disappointed with having players like that on their team for the next decade. 4-5 players this year would have been deserving winners, that is how close it was in my opinion.

shattered that langdon didnt get a vote, but pretty that we managed to get him for 65th pick in last years draft. THis reminds me of the 2001 super draft loaded with guns inthe top picks and then with dane swan as the late round pick gem. I am very curious to see how this class will eventually rank up the 2001 draft as last years class is very even in talent. Feel that brisbane and saints absolutely nailed last years draft and other clubs getting 10+ yrs players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back