Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Love to get Paddy - perfect match for what we need - but is he a sook?
Wants to play away from Melbourne? Why?
Port will have to do their homework on him.

From what I've heard, Ryder is a relatively shy guy who does not like the lime light.
This is why it has been mentioned in several articles that he would prefer a non-football state.
I don't think this makes him a sook. I think some guys are wired differently and don't want all the media attention that comes with being an AFL footballer. Love the game, but not the bull**** that goes on during the week in between each match.

Watching Sunday, I have no doubt a year in the Ruck has absolutely benefited Mitch's development and fast tracked his fitness base. He looks a genuine CHF prospect now, not an old Full Forward. A lot of people were against stalling his development as a Key Forward, but that seems natural to him, running and fitness not so much, a blessing in disguise I feel.

Yes, he may be ready for senior football next year for the work rate he has found this year. Mason not to far off either, hope we can keep him and blood him for a few games next year!

Great news

We desperately need a monster type forward

I'd much prefer Ryder as a forward than a ruck. at 196cm he isn't big enough to handle the monsters. but he is certainly a forward option.

if we trade for him. I can see us using Shaw in a three way with a WA club. it would be a bit of a shame, but would be purely cos, need someone now and Shaw is still a few seasons away

Do we have to trade with Essendon or is it under the free agent rules? I know it's said that he will be envoking some clause in his contract to get out of said contract, but does that mean can he just walk away for nothing?

I'd be willing to give up our first rounder for him by the way. He's only 26.

Love to get Paddy - perfect match for what we need - but is he a sook?
Wants to play away from Melbourne? Why?
Port will have to do their homework on him.

Ryder's partner was pregnant when the ASADA thing broke. They'd have been reading in the papers that he'd be pumped full of unknown substances of unknown origins. That would freak the **** out of any right-minded parent.

In terms of the duty of care clause in the contracts (and personally, considering the way we have traded in the past I don't think Port will go that route with Ryder and will try and broker a trade deal with essendon), the fact that Dr Ziggy Switkowski, as part of an independent investigation, revealed:

“There was a diversification to exotic supplements, a sharp increase in the number of injections, the shift to treatment of off-site alternative medical clinics, the emergence of unfamiliar suppliers, the marginalisation of traditional medical staff,”

“a disturbing picture of a pharmacologically experimental environment never adequately controlled or challenged or documented within the club”

Surely that is a pretty strong basis to make a claim for a lack of duty of care...

Edit: Source http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ons-for-sackings/story-fnca0u4y-1226635972138

Last edited:
Do we have to trade with Essendon or is it under the free agent rules? I know it's said that he will be envoking some clause in his contract to get out of said contract, but does that mean can he just walk away for nothing?

I'd be willing to give up our first rounder for him by the way. He's only 26.
We don't have to but it'd be in the clubs best interest to give something back in return for the clubs relations in future trades.

Our first rounder should be off the cards considering Brisbane won't part with theirs, our second rounder should be enough maybe with a best 30-35 list player thrown in & they should see it as good will compo for losing him as a contracted free agent under extenuating circumstances.

If Lloyd can see that Ryder has a genuine reason for wanting to leave the club the rest of the Bombers supporters & administration should not paint him as a traitor or make it difficult for him to further his career elsewhere in a stable environment for him & his family.

Last edited:
We don't have to but it'd be in the clubs best interest to give something back in return for the clubs relations in future trades.

Our first rounder should be off the cards considering we could take him for free if we wanted to, our second rounder should be enough they should see it as compo for losing him as a contracted free agent under extenuating circumstances.

If Lloyd can see that Ryder has a genuine reason for wanting to leave the club the rest of the Bombers supporters & administration should not paint him as a traitor or make it difficult for him to further his career elsewhere.

Okay. Look I wouldn't give up our first rounder if we were not compelled to do so, but I reckon pick 15-18 is probably fair price (not saying that in these circumstances fair price is what is necessary).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay. Look I wouldn't give up our first rounder if we were not compelled to do so, but I reckon pick 15-18 is probably fair price (not saying that in these circumstances fair price is what is necessary).
True but if Brisbane aren't putting their first rounder up for him we shouldn't either even though our first rounder is closer to their second rounder, we need that pick for best available in draft or to trade in a KPF.

Perhaps a player like Butch along with one of our picks might be something they're interested in? Not sure how John feels about his future at the club he might be thinking this is a good chance to get back home & start fresh.

I hope we don't target any of their other players that don't have a valid reason to leave Carlisle for example, if they lose Jake for nothing Butcher might be able to at least play a role in their forward line.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of trading players to Essendon. I'm not really comfortable with the idea of trading players from Essendon. I think i am not comfortable with anything to do with Essendon.

Hopefully the ASADA investigation stands up and they can resolve the issue on Friday. If stood down for as little as 6 months we should just shrug it off and put a offer to him that he can't turn his back on. We do need ASADA resolved though.

Last edited:
If we get Ryder, I wouldn't be against encouraging him and Monfries (if he has received an infraction notice) to take the ban over summer.

May be a difficult pill to swallow (terrible pun I know haha), but it could be good for them mentally to pay the price and then put this crap behind them.

butcher is definitely a good outcome for everyone. I don't think he will go anywhere with us so maybe a new club can bring a change of fortune.

butcher and our second pick for Ryder and their third.

use our first rounder on best available player, their 3rd on best project ruck and our 3rd to select the krak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back