Scottish Independance

Remove this Banner Ad

Shetland: 64% No. (although along with Orkney, this was never in doubt)
Na h-Eileanan an Iar (Western Isles): 53% No

Bad signs early on for the "Yes" camp. They'll need to do far better than expected in the cities to snatch it from here.

Last edited:

The few English people I've discussed it with would have loved the chance to vote in the referendum just so they could vote the Scots out.
Now that would have been funny if England voted as well and the "Yes" vote got up with the majority of England voting for Scotland to leave the Union but the majority of Scotland voted to stay.

The No vote has all but won. Financial markets pricing it in as well, the pound at a two-year high against the euro.

Brad or Chris?

They're always negative.

I wanted a yes vote because I'm a republican and would love to see a flow on effect come down to Australasia to reignite debate. Even it could reopen discussions in the canada/quebec debate too. Alas, it doesn't look good at the moment.

What I have learned from all of this though is that bob geldof is a bigger complete and utter twat than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're always negative.

I wanted a yes vote because I'm a republican and would love to see a flow on effect come down to Australasia to reignite debate. Even it could reopen discussions in the canada/quebec debate too. Alas, it doesn't look good at the moment.

What I have learned from all of this though is that bob geldof is a bigger complete and utter twat than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am a republican as well but this vote has nothing to do with that. Essentially Scotland is voting to become like Australia where the only link to England is that they both share the same Queen. From what I have read is that if the "Yes" camp were to win then later on there would be a vote to cut links with the royal family.

it is a huge vote for the world in countries which have independent movements in them..(like Canada, Spain, Belgium). If Scotland votes yes, it will be used as a type case for the rest. more so than any other previous vote.

In saying not so much us. Wont do anything for republican movement(queen not the question) and flag will be tough to change. WA might sook some more but it will never happen.

I really think major, decisive, votes like this should require more than 50%+1

If you're on the borderline for making a big life decision, you usually think about it some more, rather than set a moment in time and see which way you feel then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think major, decisive, votes like this should require more than 50%+1

If you're on the borderline for making a big life decision, you usually think about it some more, rather than set a moment in time and see which way you feel then.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in referendums in Australia don't you usaully need a popular majority and a states majority for it to pass?

Correct me if I'm wrong but in referendums in Australia don't you usaully need a popular majority and a states majority for it to pass?

Section 128 of the Australian Constitution requires a "double majority" to pass a constitutional amendment—a majority of states (four or more), and a majority of all the electors voting. Voters in the territories only counted towards the second of those majorities.

from Wiki. So yes.

Correct, but in England it is 50% +1 that is required.

Turnout is massive 86% is unheard of in recent decades for voluntary voting

They need both.

Majority of people AND a majority of states.

Tends to mean you need a compelling argument/big overall majority to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back