news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Overeem just doesn't have the chin to be a heavyweight. He tooled Rothwell early with kicks and knees, but as soon as Ben landed he had him hurt. I had the same thought about him being potentially cut after that Jab.

Jacare is a monster. I firmly believed that Weidman would hold the belt for a long time, but after seeing Mousasi just get handled today I'm starting to think otherwise. Jacare had the better of the striking exchanges whic was really unexpected and just mauled Gegard on the ground. Wasn't the prettiest performance, but it's surely one that sees him get next shot at the belt.

The Black Beast had his hype train de-railed by Meathead. I had a feeling Matt would be too quick for him, but didn't expect the finish to come as quickly as it did.

Bummed by the finish to the Chiesa/Lauzon fight, but that cut was nasty! Was a great back and forth fight while it lasted and I'd be all up for seeing it again. I think Lauzon's days as a contender are done, so fun fights like that where he's got a decent shot of winning are hopefully in his future.

Interesting seeing Whittaker move up to Middleweight and fighting Clint Hester.

I think if Hunt can absorb an overhand right in the 1st round from Nelson - like he did against JDS, he'll be smooth sailing after that. Bizarrely, I think he'll beat Nelson by... Decision. :eek:

Eventually everyone gets KOd, enough heavy shots to the some will do Nelson in unless he decides to grapple (even then Hunts take down defense isn't terrible and I don't imagine Nelson's take downs would be "explosive"). Would love to see Hunt go with a dirty old school body attack and rip shots to Nelson's gut and liver, just for the slo mo replay lolz

I think Jab is on to something.... Roy is talking about wanting to stand and trade, but I think after being outboxed for a little bit he looks to take the fight to the ground. That is of course if the fight goes for longer than a minute... I could definitely see either of these guys being put out quickly. Both guys have legendary chins, but they're both getting up there in age and have been through a number of wars.

10411029_633658830082790_8894817314717352670_n.jpg

Starting to come together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well ill be damed Rumble has been cut for domestic Violence. Its so hard to keep up with all the fights going on inside the octogon and this s**t keeps happening. saying that I only read it on BJ dot com the TMZ of MMA.

Not cut, suspended indefinitely while they carry out their own investigation in to his alleged incident according to what I read. Thiago Silva on the other hand has been cut again as more information about his scenario came to light and Wanderlei Silva retired.

Wanderlei is an idiot. Great fighter in his pride days but he has been punched too many times in the head.

As for Thiago goes, I don't think anyone would really have a problem with him being cut if it's true. A man punching a woman isn't acceptable, let alone a professional fighter.

I have to agree. I was a huge Wanderlei fan and will always look back fondly on his fights, but his persona over the last year or 2 has made me less of a fan. It's not before time that he hung up the gloves either, so in a way I'm glad that he has to stop him taking further punishment.

As for Thiago, if what his wife is saying is true I can't blame her for skipping the country.

As for Thiago, if what his wife is saying is true I can't blame her for skipping the country.
Apparently she moved to Abu Dhabi for work, and filing the restraining order would've meant having to do it in person thus jeopardising her new job - so she dropped it.. Ergo, Thiago is off the hook in the UFC's eyes - gets re-signed and called her a liar to the media. She posts some incriminating videos vindicating her original reasons for filing - and he gets re-cut.

Pretty nice to get to watch MMA on a Saturday evening for once. Big KO for Hunt, maybe a top contender fight against Browne is next? First ever KO/TKO loss for Gomi was sad to see, who are the most notable fighters left that are yet to be stopped by strikes? Akiyama looked good but Sadollah is mediocre at best. Miesha's fight was pretty uneventful. Walsh got badly stiffed by the judges.

Pretty nice to get to watch MMA on a Saturday evening for once. Big KO for Hunt, maybe a top contender fight against Browne is next? First ever KO/TKO loss for Gomi was sad to see, who are the most notable fighters left that are yet to be stopped by strikes? Akiyama looked good but Sadollah is mediocre at best. Miesha's fight was pretty uneventful. Walsh got badly stiffed by the judges.

I'm still trying to track down the main event and main card. I never would have picked a walk away KO against Roy, I can't wait to see it!

It's impressive. Roy wasn't out, but lost his legs and faceplanted. He was up and looked OK seconds after the fight, but it was a beautiful shot and a justified stoppage.

It was sad seeing Gomi go out like that. He's never found a way to rediscover the magic he had in Pride. Having said that, Jury is a stud. Peach of a right hand and good follow up work.

I was stunned to see a lot of experts expecting Amir to win against Akiyama. I didn't check the odds, bit would have bet the house on Akiyama due to having more power, a vastly superior ground/takedown game and a better chin. Went pretty much how I expected it to.

Tate and Nakai put on a bit of a snoozer, but Miesha's striking and strength looked much improved. To manouver that little ball of muscle and fight off most of her takedown attempts was impressive.

I wasn't shocked Walsh lost the decision and he really only has himself to blame. He clearly won the first, the second was close and he spent half the third content to play defense on the ground instead of trying to get up and win it. He looked great in the first round though.

Horiguchi was the most impressivs winner outside Hunto. The guy he was in against was no great shakes,but he hurt him badly early with the body kick and put him away with some vicious strikes not long after. Flyweights who can crack aren't in abundance, so I could see him getting a decent push from the UFC after that performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back