-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
How did ya go with it toxic?
Great course Mornington, played it over a year ago & a few holes are just spectacular!

Love the par 3 on the front nine with the ocean backdrop;
Par 3 16th (I think) which is right on the cliff top and hole 12 (I think) downhill par 5 toward the water...

Stunning track view wise.

has a slope rating of 135 which i struggle to believe as it is quite short in distance

Played insanely well tbh (actually let me change that, putted insanely well - 25 putts for the round)

Birdied the 18th for a 73 off the stick.
Played off 9 in our social group (GA of 7.9) and had 45 points

Views as the fog lifted of the city were amazing
Wind was okay and greens were a tad wet.
In summer it would be damm hard to play but in winter it appears a lot easier

Stunning track view wise.

has a slope rating of 135 which i struggle to believe as it is quite short in distance

Played insanely well tbh (actually let me change that, putted insanely well - 25 putts for the round)

Birdied the 18th for a 73 off the stick.
Played off 9 in our social group (GA of 7.9) and had 45 points

Views as the fog lifted of the city were amazing
Wind was okay and greens were a tad wet.
In summer it would be damm hard to play but in winter it appears a lot easier

73! 45 points! Holy s**t...
I nearly had 25 putts in the first nine when I played (it was summer)

what are you views on friends wanting to invite their mates to a course of which you are a member?

case in point. i have invited a friend to play a round with me on a few occasions. great bloke, friendly etc. he has made mentioned to his mates of my patronage at the club/course, and they in turn expressed interest in playing a round there. so, each time i catch up with said mate, he always says "my mate XYZ wants to play too". i dont know Mr XYZ it must be said.

thoughts?

what are you views on friends wanting to invite their mates to a course of which you are a member?

case in point. i have invited a friend to play a round with me on a few occasions. great bloke, friendly etc. he has made mentioned to his mates of my patronage at the club/course, and they in turn expressed interest in playing a round there. so, each time i catch up with said mate, he always says "my mate XYZ wants to play too". i dont know Mr XYZ it must be said.

thoughts?

I'm presuming your a member down peninsula way by memory

Go with the party line - the committe frowns on visitors or maybe we can all play a corporate ambrose day together.

Either way it'd be a NO from me, you dont even know the guys your friend is offering up

I'm presuming your a member down peninsula way by memory

Go with the party line - the committe frowns on visitors or maybe we can all play a corporate ambrose day together.

Either way it'd be a NO from me, you dont even know the guys your friend is offering up

vistors are allowed, however must be accompanied by member (just like anywhere).

correct. i dont know the guys who he wants to bring.

vistors are allowed, however must be accompanied by member (just like anywhere).

correct. i dont know the guys who he wants to bring.

Tell em to fill in a membership application

Anyone know of clubs that do refer a friend discounts?

Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Most of them do it in some form, might be a cheaper joining fee shorter waiting list, or the current member might get a $100 gift card or something or other.

I'm moving clubs ATM, just got on the waiting list at Commowealth.

Just wait for the annual visitors day.

i see what you mean, however at my club there are 3 courses. therefore there is always a course available for guests to play on (accompanied by member). essentially every day is a visitors day. friend knows this, and im sure has told his mates.

so i am still uneasy about allowing friend to bring friends down. and if i can summon the courage of graeme mcdowell, i will tell him so.

i see what you mean, however at my club there are 3 courses. therefore there is always a course available for guests to play on (accompanied by member). essentially every day is a visitors day. friend knows this, and im sure has told his mates.

so i am still uneasy about allowing friend to bring friends down. and if i can summon the courage of graeme mcdowell, i will tell him so.

I know The National well, and it's exclusivity means there's plenty of hanger oners.

I'd just tell him to wait for the visitors day, and you can make your mind up then.

Personally I don't have a problem with it, I've done it plenty of times for mates, and I've also been the 3rd person in a group on some courses here, interstate and overseas that I might not of otherwise been able to play, if you believe in karma, you might get repayed the same way one day. Just as long they realise it's a one off and not a weekly thing.

I'm playing Moonah in roughly 2 hours.

Great course - had a ripper round going around there when I played - went about 2 inches off hole in one on the short, short 11th.
Then carved 3 balls OOB on the third last hole (par 5 along the back fence) and farked it all up...
:(:(:(
The tea tree/scrub is very close on some of those holes...

My old man is the president down there, they've done a lot of work there since mid 00's and 90's when it was seen (especially by me) as the ugly duckling of the peninsula tracks, didn't hold a candle to national, the dunes, moonah, rosebud cc, portsea, flinders etc before St. Andrews was around, it's changed that much, so much so that he moved from Woodlands upto there in the last few years.

It had a certain tackiness about it, and the course reflected it, was almost trying to emulate an Arizona desert course or something. They've bulldozed most of that crap now, and it looks more like a traditional peninsula course, if I'm not mistaken it's got the highest slope rating in Victoria at 147 for the members comps? It's signature is probably blind drives through tight chutes in trees, which makes for some pretty cool approaches through valleys etc. if your driving games off there's no coming back there, probably why it's considered one of the hardest courses going around for the average joe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My old man is the president down there, they've done a lot of work there since mid 00's and 90's when it was seen (especially by me) as the ugly duckling of the peninsula tracks, didn't hold a candle to national, the dunes, moonah, rosebud cc, portsea, flinders etc before St. Andrews was around, it's changed that much, so much so that he moved from Woodlands upto there in the last few years.

It had a certain tackiness about it, and the course reflected it, was almost trying to emulate an Arizona desert course or something. They've bulldozed most of that crap now, and it looks more like a traditional peninsula course, if I'm not mistaken it's got the highest slope rating in Victoria at 147 for the members comps? It's signature is probably blind drives through tight chutes in trees, which makes for some pretty cool approaches through valleys etc. if your driving games off there's no coming back there, probably why it's considered one of the hardest courses going around for the average joe.

Yeah a couple of those through the middle (hole 6 or 7) with a drive over the crest so you can't see the landing area were pretty hairy.
Especially for a leftie with a massive power fade (read: Slice!)

It was about 2 years ago now & it was in great nick. Although being in the holidays it gets a bit of traffic & many golfers who don't fix plug marks.. GRRR!

While we're going on the golf thread - played the 58th (I think) Border Open at Barham a few weeks back. We were graced by the presence of Marcus Fraser on the comeback trail. What a legend. Even cruised into the pub Saturday night to watch the footy.
Josh Younger was the winner with -10 Saturday & even par Sunday.
For those of you that have played Barham, Josh had an eagle two on the hardest hole - par 4 'Gallipoli'
(binned it from about 120 out)

I know The National well, and it's exclusivity means there's plenty of hanger oners.

I'd just tell him to wait for the visitors day, and you can make your mind up then.

Personally I don't have a problem with it, I've done it plenty of times for mates, and I've also been the 3rd person in a group on some courses here, interstate and overseas that I might not of otherwise been able to play, if you believe in karma, you might get repayed the same way one day. Just as long they realise it's a one off and not a weekly thing.

I'm playing Moonah in roughly 2 hours.

thanks for your post Pykie

moonah in 2 hours? tee off 1.20pm? enjoy! let us know how you went and your thoughts on the course. playing there this weekend.

While we're going on the golf thread - played the 58th (I think) Border Open at Barham a few weeks back. We were graced by the presence of Marcus Fraser on the comeback trail. What a legend. Even cruised into the pub Saturday night to watch the footy.
Josh Younger was the winner with -10 Saturday & even par Sunday.
For those of you that have played Barham, Josh had an eagle two on the hardest hole - par 4 'Gallipoli'
(binned it from about 120 out)

Is gallipoli really rated the hardest hole?

I find that hard to believe tbh

green is quite slopey but apart from that its a basic par 4

still an eagle on any par 4 is insane

And Barham is my fav course along the great river

Is gallipoli really rated the hardest hole?

I find that hard to believe tbh

green is quite slopey but apart from that its a basic par 4

still an eagle on any par 4 is insane

And Barham is my fav course along the great river

Yep rated No. 1 on the card.
Yeah it's a ripper track.

am playing moonah course this weekend.

my heart is broken with news that fellow member robbie flower has passed away. have played many rounds with him. always says "gday pete" when we see each other, and asks how my family are.

Tulip, next round is dedicated to you.

19 points on the front and a disappointing 15 on the back yesterday. Really fading on the back nine which has been disappointing.

Booked flights, tickets and accommodation to Melb for the masters in Nov. Really looking forward to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back