To eat or not to eat breakfast?

Remove this Banner Ad

TO EAT BREAKFAST! always. I experimented a few days with skipping this meal. It was meant to save me some time. Got to work and felt sick :(

It called withdrawals from all the crap you've been eating for breakfast.
What you ate the night before May have something g to do with it also.
A few days isn't very persistent.

Read somewhere about a college swimmer in the US that they found out he wasn't eating anything at all before morning trainings, got him to start eating a small breakfast and his times improved dramatically almost straight away..

A worthless post unless you Atleast can describe what his small brekfast/pre swim feed consisted of?

I'm sure there's numerous people who perform better on an empty stomach too buts it irrelevant unless you know what they were previously eating prior.

A worthless post unless you Atleast can describe what his small brekfast/pre swim feed consisted of?

I'm sure there's numerous people who perform better on an empty stomach too buts it irrelevant unless you know what they were previously eating prior.
Meh. Anyone that thinks that not eating anything at all before a 2-3 hour morning training session in the pool won't have a negative effect on performance is an imbecile.

The effects of Ramadan intermittent fasting on athletic performance: recommendations for the maintenance of physical fitness.

"However, the results of the small number of well-controlled studies that have examined the effects of Ramadan on athletic performance suggest that few aspects of physical fitness are negatively affected, and where decrements are observed these are usually modest. Subjective feelings of fatigue and other mood indicators are often cited as implying additional stress on the athlete throughout Ramadan, but most studies show that these factors may not result in decreases in performance and that perceived exercise intensity is unlikely to increase to any significant degree. Current evidence from good, well-controlled research supports the conclusion that athletes who maintain their total energy and macronutrient intake, training load, body composition, and sleep length and quality are unlikely to suffer any substantial decrements in performance during Ramadan. Further research is required to determine the effect of RIF on the most challenging events or exercise protocols and on elite athletes competing in extreme environments."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22738880

Meh. Anyone that thinks that not eating anything at all before a 2-3 hour morning training session in the pool won't have a negative effect on performance is an imbecile.

Proof?

Fat stores hold 40,0000 calories & full glycogen stores upto 2000 calories , so one has enough energy with in to fuel 2-3 hours of exercise with out eating prior.
Hunters n Gathers & Gladiators fought on empty stomachs for days, you think they carb loaded prior to a battle?

All depends on what someone eats prior to exercise to cos the wrong foods can be detrimental to performance while some foods / supplements can enhance it.

Last edited:
I mostly work-out in the morning, just a half-serve of a PWO drink.

If I ate before going to the gym I'd throw up for sure - especially on a day with squats/deads.

Horses for courses - no right or wrong answer.

I find if I skip breakfast due to lack of time, running late etc I get REALLY hungry about 1/2 hours after dinner.

It's not healthy, it's better for you to have a small breakfast then nothing at all

I find if I skip breakfast due to lack of time, running late etc I get REALLY hungry about 1/2 hours after dinner.

It's not healthy, it's better for you to have a small breakfast then nothing at all
It's not unhealthy, it's the human condition, you've disrupted your usual routine and your body isn't used to it. Being hungry because you forgot breakfast isn't unhealthy in the slightest, nor is it unusual for breakfast eaters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not unhealthy, it's the human condition, you've disrupted your usual routine and your body isn't used to it. Being hungry because you forgot breakfast isn't unhealthy in the slightest, nor is it unusual for breakfast eaters.
when i first started intermittent fasting I would get to midday and start shaking if I didn't eat straight away, now I can breeze through a 24 hour fast (including a cardio session) without an issue.

I didn't meant the being hungry part to be unhealthy, I meant skipping breakfast is

Only regular breakfast eaters need to eat breakfast, those who fast and are adapted do not.

Depends on the individual, skipping breakfast is healthier than eating crap refined cereals or take away fast food for breakfast. Although the masses would have you believe this to be incorrect, that something is better than nothing. That is definitely untrue.

But it all depends on the person, for me i am not hungry at all upon waking about an hour later i start to feel a bit hungry. But depending if i am trying to add some muscle or drop some body fat, i will or wont eat breakfast so removing breakfast or delaying it to later in the morning is the easiest option. I have found fasted workouts in the morning (which is most often when i work out these days) results in the best fat loss for me.

However evening when exercising in the afternoon/early evening i won't eat 2-2.5 hours before my work out, i don't like exercising on a full stomach.

It called withdrawals from all the crap you've been eating for breakfast.
What you ate the night before May have something g to do with it also.
A few days isn't very persistent.

shush :p
I eat healthier than you, that's 100%!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back