The Gaslight Anthem

Remove this Banner Ad

only just gotten into these guys. Love their latest album Handwritten got some really good tunes on it. Favorite is probably National Anthem. Have also heard quite a few of them acoustic on youtube and they sound very good. Gonna check out their earlier stuff now. Very impressed.

Can definitely see some of their influences in their music, especially as a pearl jam fan myself.

59 Sound is a very good album.
Had a great jam with a few blokes this arvo and we pumped out about 6 songs off this album over the course of the afternoon. One of my very favourite albums and Brian Fallon's music really does translate well acoustically. Awesome band, lov'em to bits.

Not bad.

They'll never make an album as good as The '59 Sound again but they're still churning out some good tunes.

Beautiful. That bridge is amazing.

I'm going to the Melbourne show. I really like the new album as well. It's a nice shift without being too crazy. A lot of good tracks with only a couple of filler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said they remind you of Death Cab, which means you could point out some similarities.

Which is a little bizarre given The Gaslight Anthem play punk rock and Death Cab play atmospheric, piano-led, often ballady tunes.

I dunno man, I'm a big fan of both bands and they have literally zero in common. Unless you're trying to lump them into some all-encompassing, ultra homogenous 'indie rock' banner, there's nothing to provide any linear link between the two.

Death Cab have more in common with The Decemberists and the Shins, while The Gaslight Anthem are similar to The Menzingers, Flatliners, early Against Me etc.

Anybody want to make a new friend?

My usual gigging buddy is overseas and I bought just the one ticket. I'm very friendly, have some really great jokes and very much into beer. Although I am a Carlton supporter and may just bail half-way through the set if I get a Tinder booty call.

Did anyone get tickets for the by request gigs they announced? Ideally they would have announced this earlier as I'm not mad on Get Hurt so would have possibly skipped the main gig but looks like I'm going to both nights. A smaller venue (the Prince Ballroom is where the Melbourne gig is on) playing mainly Sink or Swim, 59 Sound and American Slang tunes could be amazing.

I'm going both nights.

I'm also off to both nights.

I'll be the dude at the Prince absolutely losing my s**t if they play my request (was going to ask for 1930, but figured that everybody else would be requesting that anyway)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back