Traded James Aish (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he does leave. I hope we send him to anywhere but Adelaide. Will be glorious viewing for the Adelaide board, at least.

Players can't be "sent" anywhere against their will.

They can be offered up for trade but don't have to go where they don't want to go.

Obviously though, the bigger the carrot being dangled by a suitor, the more tempting it is to take the money, even if it is not the "preferred" destination. Think Mitch Clark. The emotional pull of going "home" to Perth got shelved pretty quickly once Melbourne brought out the suitcase full of cash.

should we be worried by this no contract discussion until 2015 ... his manager said in the trade period he was close to signing a contract extension with brisbane, know we hear no more discussion until 2015.

once cutler re-signs, he is the only one of last years draft to not commit beyond next year ...

HUN reporting that Aish has put contract talks on ice until after the pre-season.

What is this kids game?.....getting a bit peed off with him tbh, he seems to be jerking people around.

This will he, or won't he sign is very very annoying.

..bugger off james if you don't want to be a Lion.

I don't have any problems with it, makes sense putting it off till after pre-season with the new inclusions of Beams & Christensen and those coming back from injury.. positions in the mid field became a little bit harder to obtain..Maybe they have signaled a slightly different role for him...if that's the case couldn't blame him to hold out and see how that pans out after pre-season...if he likes it he'll sign.... if he doesn't he'll say I want to be traded for Tex Walker :p ......

I don't have any problems with it, makes sense putting it off till after pre-season with the new inclusions of Beams & Christensen and those coming back from injury.. positions in the mid field became a little bit harder to obtain..Maybe they have signaled a slightly different role for him...if that's the case couldn't blame him to hold out and see how that pans out after pre-season...if he likes it he'll sign.... if he doesn't he'll say I want to be traded for Tex Walker :p ......

If ever I came back as a star recruit, I would play it pretty much as Aish is.

Wait 'til we see how the year goes then review the lie of the land.

If he goes well, and if we improve overall, and if we have cash to reflect his speculated improvement, and if we recruit an established KPF or develop one of our own then he'd be a dill to move.

Adelaide is a very comfortable city, but then who wants to be comfortable all their life.

Player agent Liam Pickering growing into one of the most feared and most powerful AFL identities

SO, James Aish, the wunderkind from Brisbane, has postponed contract talks until the end of pre-season. That’s kind of new. Usually, contracts are postponed until the end of the season. If Aish comes out early in the new year and says talk are on hold until the end, then Brisbane will be worried. They’re worried now, to be honest. There’s another factor involved. It's called the Liam Pickering factor. Brisbane already knows that. When Aish asks to leave at the end of next year, as expected, the wolf will be at their door.

A lot of 2 + 2 = 5 going on from Robbo if you ask me.

We know enough about Mark Robinson that when he says Aish is expected to ask to be traded, it doesn't really mean anything.

That said, you'd be crazy not to be a little bit worried. We publicly flagged before this kid played a game that we were keen to re-sign him. We can't do much more to demonstrate our commitment to him, and he couldn't do much less to demonstrate his commitment to us. Nothing that Aish or Pickering have said publicly has done anything to take the heat out of the speculation.

The Fairfax article that came out today might be relevant context here. If the Boyd deal really does change the expectations for talented kids, where high draftees are expected to be paid on their potential rather than their performance, then it's possible Pickering is gearing up to make similar demands for Aish. Possibly he reckons he can get Adelaide or Brisbane or someone else to offer a long-term contract worth multiple millions. And if he's told Aish that he can be set up for life at 20 years old if he plays hard to get, perhaps Aish is going along with it.

Honestly though, I think the most likely reason that Aish hasn't re-signed is that he's not convinced he wants to stay beyond next year.

Either way, I can't think of any reason for Aish putting off negotiations that's good news.

We know enough about Mark Robinson that when he says Aish is expected to ask to be traded, it doesn't really mean anything.

That said, you'd be crazy not to be a little bit worried. We publicly flagged before this kid played a game that we were keen to re-sign him. We can't do much more to demonstrate our commitment to him, and he couldn't do much less to demonstrate his commitment to us. Nothing that Aish or Pickering have said publicly has done anything to take the heat out of the speculation.

The Fairfax article that came out today might be relevant context here. If the Boyd deal really does change the expectations for talented kids, where high draftees are expected to be paid on their potential rather than their performance, then it's possible Pickering is gearing up to make similar demands for Aish. Possibly he reckons he can get Adelaide or Brisbane or someone else to offer a long-term contract worth multiple millions. And if he's told Aish that he can be set up for life at 20 years old if he plays hard to get, perhaps Aish is going along with it.

Honestly though, I think the most likely reason that Aish hasn't re-signed is that he's not convinced he wants to stay beyond next year.

Either way, I can't think of any reason for Aish putting off negotiations that's good news.
I don't see Aish getting that kind of money(or anywhere near it) from anyone. Adelaide need to re-sign Dangerfield, Walker and Sloane next year. Unlike Boyd, Aish is far from unique. Someone might offer something like that to O'Meara, but not Aish.

I am content enough with where we are headed as a club to not be bothered if Aish decides to leave. I am really hoping he stays but I can see why he might be enticed to head home especially if Dangerfield leaves.

Agreed, I'm confident if Aish leaves it does not reflect poorly on the club.

As others have said, if Aish leaves it won't be the end of the world for us, particularly given our post-season acquisitions (and Ben Keays if he continues to progress).

I really want him to stay, but even if he nominates say Adelaide as his destination you'd have to think we'd get a reasonable trade offer from them to get the deal OTL.

On the other hand, if Adelaide (or Port) tried to screw us with a second rounder or similar we'd have to think long and hard about just sending him to the PSD. As unpalatable as that might be, you can't let your club be used/perceived as a swinging door.

The 'send him to the PSD' threat is not that intimidating for a Sth Australian is it? OK we may want to make a stand but once he has announced he wants to go home, it is doubtful a club from outside SA will take the chance to draft him and then his only worry is whether it's the Crows or Port. Although he may have an allegiance to/preference for the Crows, his main ambition would be to get back to SA. We could be revisiting the Polec scenario earlier than we had hoped. If he does go you would think the AFL has to put some measures in place to stop this happening ad infinitum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, again IF Aish does a Boyd next year, so be it. If we can get Ben Keays (who craves playing for the Lions more than he craves oxygen) for a second rounder and can package up Aish and our first rounder for an A grade KPP forward, then it will be another trade period to be excited about.

No external excuses for players not buying in any more. It's purely on them.

Yeah, again IF Aish does a Boyd next year, so be it. If we can get Ben Keays (who craves playing for the Lions more than he craves oxygen) for a second rounder and can package up Aish and our first rounder for an A grade KPP forward, then it will be another recruitment period to be excited about.

No external excuses for players not buying in any more. It's purely on them.
Come on, I've only just calmed down after this one.

I don't see Aish getting that kind of money(or anywhere near it) from anyone. Adelaide need to re-sign Dangerfield, Walker and Sloane next year. Unlike Boyd, Aish is far from unique. Someone might offer something like that to O'Meara, but not Aish.

I don't see Aish getting that kind of money either. But if you take Boyd's contract and work downwards from there, you're still looking at a far more generous contract than what he otherwise would be expected to get.

The Dangerfield/Walker/Sloane contracts are a double edged sword from our perspective. If they lose one of them, then they're in a similar position to the Dogs when they lost Griffen, and getting a talented kid seems to be a good way to quell the PR fallout, particularly when it's a kid like Aish who has a connection to the club.

I think it's possible that if Dangerfield is on the way out, they start to offer Aish the kind of money we're not going to want to match. If that's what Pickering believes, no wonder he's holding out until as late as he can.

Incidentally, while I agree with TheBrownDog and Judge that Aish leaving would be disappointing but hardly a crippling blow, it becomes more of a problem if more players leave after that. We're going to continue to suffer the effects of losing effectively 12 combined years of development from the go-home five last year, even if it's hard to quantify those effects. If we lose Aish, that's another lost investment. If there's more after that, it gets harder to compete with clubs who don't feel the same effects, even if we get the occasional player back the other way.

Five players leaving at once focused our minds on the go-home factor, but it's really death by a thousand cuts.

The 'send him to the PSD' threat is not that intimidating for a Sth Australian is it? OK we may want to make a stand but once he has announced he wants to go home, it is doubtful a club from outside SA will take the chance to draft him and then his only worry is whether it's the Crows or Port. Although he may have an allegiance to/preference for the Crows, his main ambition would be to get back to SA. We could be revisiting the Polec scenario earlier than we had hoped. If he does go you would think the AFL has to put some measures in place to stop this happening ad infinitum.

I was wondering if we were to not trade and he went into the draft if Pickers would then scare off any other club thinking of drafting him allowing Aish to get to the club he wants to go to. Wouldn't put it past him.

I am content enough with where we are headed as a club to not be bothered if Aish decides to leave. I am really hoping he stays but I can see why he might be enticed to head home especially if Dangerfield leaves.

If, as expected, Tom Cutler extends his initial contract by the end of this year; that'll be 6 of 7 that re-sign :thumbsu:

After what happened 12 months ago; we, as supporters need to applaud the club as the turnaround has been tremendous. Of recent times (last 6 months) hardly a day goes by without a prominent Melbourne media person commending the Lions on the changes we've made.

As much as we'd like James Aish to sign a long contract extension; it's becoming less likely by the day. That being said, who will he be ahead of in our midfield rotation within 2-3 years?

Beams - Rockliff - Hanley - Zorko - Rich: Highly unlikely
Redden & Mayes: Potentially, but unlikely
Taylor: Maybe

My view is that overpaying an 18 year old that needs to be sold on becoming a long term Lion is not smart business, especially with more pressing needs up forward :footy:

Time will tell.....

Can't lie, all the constant articles are pissing me off. I'd love it if he re-signed because he's going to be a gun and he's the player we recently drafted who had the most alarming go home factor; him re-signing would represent another major turning point in player retention for the club, but as others have said it won't be the end of the world if he doesn't re-sign, nor will it reflect poorly on the club. I'm just already sick of the constant speculation.

I used to love that the culture of footy was different to Rugby but I'm reaching a point where I wouldn't care if players declared their intentions to move a year early. At least we'd know. I feel like player managers are exploiting the early years of free agency with this constant worry and speculation but the actual clubs and fans are being screwed. I'd rather just know and move on.

Last edited:
From SEN
Brisbane CEO Greg Swann is confident that promising talent James Aish will extend his contract with the club in the near future.

The soon-to-be 19 year-old midfielder has been touted as one of the next elite players in the competition, which is why fans will be desperate to see him put pen to paper.

“His name was mentioned a lot (during the trade period) but we’re hopeful that he’ll re-sign.

“James is happy, I’ve seen him a few times recently and we’re really confident we’ll keep him, but it’s always a challenge,” Swann said on SEN radio.

He played all but one game last season averaging nearly 18 disposals and kicking six goals.

Aish’s agent is Liam Pickering, who has manufactured a string of the biggest deals in the league’s history for his clients, regardless of their contractual status, a worrying sign for the Lions.

“Liam Pickering is looking after him, so we’ve spoken to Pickers and we’re hopefully we can get something sorted in the new year.”

Quigley would love to hear your thoughts on how aish has progressed. Reading back you seemed less than impressed on him as a junior and would love to hear what you think about how is game has improved and what you still think he needs to work on. Of all lions posters I think you are the most knowledgeable on things like these so would love to hear your thoughts if you don't mind taking the time out of your day to reply.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back