News Chris Pelchen quits!

Remove this Banner Ad

Need for 'harder edge' in high performance prompts Pelchen to quit Saints

"DEVELOPING a "harder edge" within St Kilda's football department was one of the reasons behind the club's split with head of football Chris Pelchen.

"We've recontracted 19 of our young players now for the next few years, and we want to make sure the environment in which they work in is absolutely uncompromised in the pursuit of excellence in a high-performance sense.

"[This is] in the way you combine coaching with conditioning with welfare and medical – these all require a high level of expertise in really moulding those different parts of the business together and that's what we see going forward.

"We're really strong, and have been really strong, in strategy and list and recruitment, but we felt that there was a harder edge and a bit more work we could do in terms of our football program itself and that's the change we decided to make."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/saints-need-harder-edge

On 3AW Caroline Wilson said Chris Pelchen's departure was inevitable because Matt Finnis doesn't think StK's football dept is good enough.

Wilson said Pelchen could see the 'writing on the wall' as soon as Finnis was appointed CEO.

From what I am told she is pretty close to the mark. Finnis didn't want the Saints job until his mate Gillon promised $$ and backing. The AFL have sent him in to fix up our club from the backend forward. Finnis has had long enough in the role to work out who he does and does not rate. The changes are just beginning.

My fear is still that as an AFL sanctioned plant to restructure us to be a more financially capable club, Finnis might be giving us a light weight rebuild with a quicker turn around. Finnis was on SEN and he seemed to be hinting at a less strictly adhered to plan and didn't rule out the trading in of FAs earlier.

I believe that the first part of your post is correct but the second half is smoke and mirrors to cover up the fact that Pelchen blabbed our blueprint to the world.

I blame Russell Crowe for all this.
After he called the boss of his club the South Sydney Rabbitohs' major sponsor a "pelican" for barracking for their grand final opponents, the Canterbury Bulldogs, Chris Pelchan was asked about how he felt being referred to as the Pelican. "I'm ok with it" was his magnanimous response.
That was the first day of the trade period at the height of Pelican-mania on Bigfooty and the day of Chris Pelchen's twitter takeover when he was trending off the charts.
To face the sudden realisation that to be called a "pelican" was in fact a pejorative term must have been demoralising, right at the peak of his powers.
Russell Crowe, you're a pelican!

From what I am told she is pretty close to the mark. Finnis didn't want the Saints job until his mate Gillon promised $$ and backing. The AFL have sent him in to fix up our club from the backend forward. Finnis has had long enough in the role to work out who he does and does not rate. The changes are just beginning.

Trouble for me , is that neither Gillan or Finnis have done anything to earn my confidence yet. I'm still trying to work out what was going on with the Sydney COLA thing. Do not want us to be an AFL stooge.

I blame Russell Crowe for all this.
After he called the boss of his club the South Sydney Rabbitohs' major sponsor a "pelican" for barracking for their grand final opponents, the Canterbury Bulldogs, Chris Pelchan was asked about how he felt being referred to as the Pelican. "I'm ok with it" was his magnanimous response.
That was the first day of the trade period at the height of Pelican-mania on Bigfooty and the day of Chris Pelchen's twitter takeover when he was trending off the charts.
To face the sudden realisation that to be called a "pelican" was in fact a pejorative term must have been demoralising, right at the peak of his powers.
Russell Crowe, you're a pelican!

Are you not entertained? :mad::mad:;):p:D:D

Time for Finnis to go get Dangerfield, Walker, Sloane, Treloar, Shiel and Cameron next year.

Did you notice how our players could not run out the game, yet Port Adelaide can! Where is Richo from Port Adelaide, he has now had 12 months in the job and is stretching his influence and beliefs. Maybe high performance and getting an edge ranks higher than recruiting and with the limited budget we went with high performance.

• I remember the screaming on page 1040-1050 of the trade pages for Pelchin to get the deal done pick 1 for 4, 6 & 7 from our members and us lauding him as the new messiah as the guru of trade strategies. Let him go on his way and lets say thanks for your efforts. Just like I never boo any of our players playing for another team after we de-listed them, its just part of life and a journey.
  • Having said that if Pelican finishes at Carlton I will hate him with the special hate reserved to anyone who goes to Princes Park..... except Val Perovic or Cain Acland!!!!!

that is restraint of trade. Dont think it is legal

Not if they pay him. Garden leave exists to prevent the IP being monkey gripped straight into the next club. SOS gets paid to watch young talent next year and help his kid get drafted and then jumps straight into a plum role in 2016. That said - you are correct mate. A Court can find a restraint to be unfair if it results in the individual being unfairly prejudiced through the length of the restraint. The result is a shortened restraint but that is only after Court proceedings. SOS would find it hard to prove that his career is being stalled by not working for another club in 2015. He signed a contract until the end of 2015 so he should honour it. Perhaps he will adopt a Liam Pickering approach to restraints.....;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trouble for me , is that neither Gillan or Finnis have done anything to earn my confidence yet. I'm still trying to work out what was going on with the Sydney COLA thing. Do not want us to be an AFL stooge.

True mate - but when the AFL is writing the cheques - it is better to have a bloke with their backing running the shop.

Time for Finnis to go get Dangerfield, Walker, Sloane, Treloar, Shiel and Cameron next year.
Or how about try and get us a major sponser like he said was a high priority ⌛

weird.

haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned the whole doin it for barks thing?
Has the Pelican done his bit and now shuffling off?
Fair question..

In 2011 our future was in the hands of (talking youngish blokes): Ben McEvoy, David Armitage, Jack Steven, Ryan Gamble, Dean Polo, Jarryn Geary, Tom Lynch, Alistair Smith, Jamie Cripps, Arryn Siposs, Nick Winmar, Tom Simpkin, Tom Ledger, Rhys Stanley, Daniel Archer, Paul Cahill and Will Johnson. (We were only one year out from making a GF here though. But did have a very aging list)

Now our future is in the hands of: Tom Hickey, Arryn Siposs, Jack Steven, Seb Ross, Shane Savage, Tom Lee, Dan Markworth, Jarryn Geary, Jack Billings, Jack Newnes, Dylan Roberton, Billy Longer, Dave Armitage, Luke Delaney, Spencer White, Tom Curren, Josh Bruce, Jimmy Webster, Brodie Murdoch, Tom Simpkin, Nathan Wright, Josh Saunders, Luke Dunstan, Blake Acres, Lewis Pierce, Eli Templeton, Mav Weller, Cam Shenton + Our 2014 draftees & Membrey.

Tough calls were made but in 2011 our future was very very average and now it actually looks like we have a bright future with many good prospects. I also understand he didn't draft but cut and made a few tough decisions to help get our list in a better position than it was in 2011 when he arrived at the club.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm reading to much into it but one article where Finnis talks about ( The highly competitive AFL landscape requires us to drive a program that combines bringing in and retaining the best players with uncompromising excellence in the development and performance of our team)

That could be prophetic...

Of all the players to move clubs last week, only Membrey requested us.

That could be prophetic...

Of all the players to move clubs last week, only Membrey requested us.
We're just waiting to raid next year. :D

The only ones we were apparently looking at this trade period were JOR, Jaksch and Membrey. Next year you throw the $$ at Cameron, Shiel, Treloar etc (plenty of very good players out of contract.) who are worth the big bucks and i reckon we'd be able to land one or two or something.

Jeez its been a confusing day as a saints fan. I left me phone at home and only read the email at 4:30. I was stunnned. The I felt really flat about it. Then I thought and read some articles and felt a bit better about it. Then I went back to being flat. Now ive read a fair bit more and it seems clear that We've all backed the wrong bloke. We've been lauding Pelchin (some would say investing faith in him) when it should be Finnis that who we follow. Its he who is going to either guide us masterfully back to the top, or lead us nowhere, again. So that's what I'm going to do because other than paying my membership fees its all I can really do.

But give me half an hour and ill feel differently about the whole thing.

Some of the comments in this thread are LOL worthy. Trust a saints supporter to try and find a smoking gun in everything....

Best post to manimal. I'm with him, big long massive meh to the news.

This a good thing. Not because I think pelchen was bad, I actually think he was perfect for where our list was. We needed the wheeling and dealing sales man to find a way to trade out some of that list for picks and players. Hell we even needed the hatchet man to piss of the absolute waste of spacers on our list like gram, Peake etc. plus bringing our cap back under control, we also needed someone to help develop that strategy

But the stark reality is we are going into the next phase of our rebuild. It's no longer about selling those that fall outside of a certain age demographic or moving on the senior blokes. It's no longer about falling down to the end of the ladder.

We are now entering a period where we need to consolidate the list and move up the ladder. Next year should be the last that we look like spooners (as outlined in the strategy). So we really should be looking to bolstering the football dept, that includes making sure it's run by someone who knows what they are doing. Pelchen is not a footballer dept manager.

So we've gone past him and to be honest I think chris knows it and would be bored with where the role is going now

Finnis is dragging this club to where it needs to be. Step by step. Hopefully he gets a good strong football boss and adds a salesman/spokes person type to the recruitment team to talk to players/managers etc a pro scout would be good too, to replace Pelch

As long as finnis is there with ameet I think we are on the right path

As for the summers comment about us not hearing from him... That's probably a good thing. I'm not sold on him at all. Thank Christ the AFL is helping us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back