2016 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard Matosevic had a meltdown in his match against Mahut? Abused ump and kick in a camera

Served an ace down the t on match point. Linesman called it good, chair umpire overruled. Not long after he wins the match, swears and yells at the chair, pretends to kick the camera, doesn't shake the umpires hand and walks off the court. Like a boss.

Well not the last part, but just the usual Matosevic behaviour.

Currently Hewitt, Kyrgios, Tomic, Matosevic , Ebden and Groth are in the ATP top 100, while Duckworth, Saville, Kokkinakis and Kubler are in the top 200, with JP Smith, Bolt , Thompson , Mitchell and Reid just outside. On the women's side it isn't as good however Stosur and Dellacqua are both top 30 , while Gajdosova and Rogowska are in or on the verge of the top 100. Will be interesting to see how many of those maintain or improve their ranking rise and if there are any bolters from outside this group.

A lot of those guys are at career high rankings as well. Ebden is defending a lot of points in the next couple of months so I think he slides out of the top 100 soon.

Kyrgios is the one with scary room for growth in terms of ranking. Has 35 points to defend for the entire rest of the year and hasn't even played the full quota of 18 events that count towards rankings.

He really should be seeded at next year's AO if he has one or two decent results between now and the end of the year.

A lot of those guys are at career high rankings as well. Ebden is defending a lot of points in the next couple of months so I think he slides out of the top 100 soon.

Kyrgios is the one with scary room for growth in terms of ranking. Has 35 points to defend for the entire rest of the year and hasn't even played the full quota of 18 events that count towards rankings.

He really should be seeded at next year's AO if he has one or two decent results between now and the end of the year.
I agree I think Kokkinakis could make even further progress as well, it's scary that he's also gone up heaps(over 500 places i think).

Alex Bolt made the semi's in Napa going down to Querrey 6-2 6-3 beating Millman in the quarters, Jason Kubler has made the final in Sibiu which puts him 168 in the live rankings, will be an interesting wildcard playoff on form , that's for sure.

Kubler won't be any near the wildcard playoff with his knees, he never plays on ahrd. I wonder if he ever makes the top 100 what he'll do for Aus open and US Open

Another good week for John Millman, he's in the QF of the Sacramento challenger where he'll face Fratangelo, hopefully he can get back to his form from 2013 where he beat Ito and Robredo as well as taking sets off Murray and Seppi, prior to the Australian Open. His ranking is around in the 500s so he'll more than likely need to win the wildcard playoff or show some more good form.

Kubler won't be any near the wildcard playoff with his knees, he never plays on ahrd. I wonder if he ever makes the top 100 what he'll do for Aus open and US Open

I read an article he is actually playing at the Brisbane International next year. So he is playing the Aussie Summer.

Millman went down to Querrey in 3 was a up a break in the second couldn't convert it.

I read an article he is actually playing at the Brisbane International next year. So he is playing the Aussie Summer.

Yeah, saw that article. Going to have a strong pre-season and give it one crack on hard courts to see how it turns out. Going to make the qquestion of giving him a wc very interesting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Millman in terrific form at the moment winning his QF in Tiburon 6-1 5-7 6-3 against Smyczek, who is just outside the top 100 so a good win. He'll play a qualifier Langer in the Semi's , while Matt Reid won his QF 6-4 7-5 against Fratangelo and will play Querrey in the semi's who seems to be playing a lot of challengers given he is ranked well in the top 50.

Millman in terrific form at the moment winning his QF in Tiburon 6-1 5-7 6-3 against Smyczek, who is just outside the top 100 so a good win. He'll play a qualifier Langer in the Semi's , while Matt Reid won his QF 6-4 7-5 against Fratangelo and will play Querrey in the semi's who seems to be playing a lot of challengers given he is ranked well in the top 50.

Think Querrey is about 50-odd at the moment, don't blame him, he certainly would be getting a lot of points compared to losing early in the Asian events.

Millman results in the States have been great, hope he can keep this sort of tennis up.

Millman ended up losing in the final good effort by him.
Daria Gavrilova won a 25k ITF, but withdrew in the 2nd round this week hopefully she is ok for the Wildcard playoff. Rogowska lost to Bernarda Pera , which is disappointing given that she is so close to that top 100.

A challenger going on in Traralgon this week. Omar Jasika has won the first two rounds against Liang-Chi Huang and then Alex Bolt, so some promising signs. Greg Jones made a nice return winning through qualifying , then beating Matt Reid then losing to Patrick Smith. Thanasi Kokkinakis beat Banes 6-2 6-2.
Saville also won his first match 6-3 6-3 against Meister.
Groth lost in Charlottesville against Lokoli as the #1 seed.

Duckworth ended up winning Charlottesville - career high ranking of 129.

Traralgon ended up being a fizzer last week. 5 Aussie QF-ists, 4 lost and Smith went down in the semis.

Another challenger in Traralgon this week - Kokkinakis and Millman in the quarters and their half of the draw has opened up, good chance to play each other in the semis.

Duckworth did retire though in his first rounder today

Hopefully we can have some better results in traralgon this week with smith, Saville and millman in the quarters

Duckworth did retire though in his first rounder today

Hopefully we can have some better results in traralgon this week with smith, Saville and millman in the quarters
Finally got my IPhone and the perfect tennis app back. So I can watch and report on results again.

Saville through to the semis in pretty much a canter.

Millman and Mitchell won as well with James Ward the lone non-aussie after beating Kokkansis in straight. A win by Millman would be awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back