Who'll get the first tap on the shoulder and when?

Remove this Banner Ad

..or do we? Has free agency changed the model with us appearing to be fair proponents of the new age - use your 1st few rounds of picks and fill needs with FA. Theoretically you keep a perpetual window open with this approach if you're attracting, picking and developing them right.
I recall recently that I did a count of 24 and under players across clubs. We were by no means the heaviest invested in this group, but we were somewhere around the average. What we want then is for that group to be maintained over the years, to come from the first three rounds of the draft and to be more hits than misses. Do that and we maintain a strong list, a healthy profile and a competitive team.

gee i thought the cats were old surprised to see them lower. We really need to get a premiership within the next 2 years.
Don't know about the Premiership within 2 years, but we better find a replacement for Petrie/Waite position of the power forward. This is the only position we can't really replace. Waite, Petrie, Harvey, Firrito and McMahon make us old, but not all of them are key players.

Don't know about the Premiership within 2 years, but we better find a replacement for Petrie/Waite position of the power forward. This is the only position we can't really replace. Waite, Petrie, Harvey, Firrito and McMahon make us old, but not all of them are key players.

agree but i still think Harvey is a key player.

agree but i still think Harvey is a key player.
Much less so, than this time last year IMO.
I really do think he has lost some pace, despite the media not saying it. He is getting by on his smarts and reading of the play, but pure acceleration is not what it used to be. He can pinch hit and add class to the side for the next two seasons, but he is definitely just the cream these days and not the cake.

The obvious FA replacement for each of our geriatrics:

Harvey: Jimmy Bartel
Petrie: Taylor Walker
Dal Santo: Jack Steven
Thompson: Alex Rance
Wells: Matthew Stokes

That's next years crop alone, obviously getting most or arguably any of those players is unrealistic, yet it shows that our "old list" is not the problem people think it is. If Harvey and Petrie both decide to hang up the boots at the end of the year, that's a million dollars to throw at Dangerfield, Walker, Hawkins etc. 2014 is a good year to be good.

Just spitballing.. if Levi had taken the 1 year deal offered and went on to have an equivalent season in 2015 only to ride off into the free agency sunset.. I'm pretty sure the AFL's magic mirror compensation formula wouldn't have handed us pick 25.

So in a weird way if he had to go (still not wrapt about it) then this was about the best outcome.

McKenzie's played, what, 20 games? Why would any club de-list him before 50, when he's had a chance to develop?

You do realize that not every player is entitled to 50 games as a right for being drafted?

Banging on like you do about games and development in such a black and white manner is foolish.

Fact is players need to earn their games, and need to show enough in those games to get to your magical 50 game number.

McKenzie hasn't done so, and if that doesn't change he will quite rightly be delisted whether he gets to 50 or otherwise.

Getting a liitle bit ahead of things here, but there could be some serous list changes this time next year.

When you think about players on one year deals like Spud, Grima and Jacobs, vets like Harvey and Petrie (not including Waite or Dal and they have another two year) plus you add the numerous players who are at the xroads Harper, McMahon, Daw, Currie, McKenzie and Tarrant. And if they did cut Dumont....

You do realize that not every player is entitled to 50 games as a right for being drafted?

Banging on like you do about games and development in such a black and white manner is foolish.

Fact is players need to earn their games, and need to show enough in those games to get to your magical 50 game number.

McKenzie hasn't done so, and if that doesn't change he will quite rightly be delisted whether he gets to 50 or otherwise.
To be fair, About 8-12 of those games McKenzie has played he started as the sub. I remember when he debuted vs WB, he got to play for all of 5 minutes.

I know McMahon has had injury and illness related issues, but he needs to drop a lot of weight over the pre-season and work hard on his agility and speed in the first 10-15m, even at the expense of overall endurance. He needs to be in a better physical position to play on small forwards who are very agile and very quick off the mark.

McKenzie's played, what, 20 games? Why would any club de-list him before 50, when he's had a chance to develop?

In the games he has played he hasn't done enough to hold his place in the team. l've watched him at Vfl level and he seems to be intent on "just getting by" in games. He has ability but like Bastinac just doesn't seem to show the drive and determination needed to play consistantly at Afl level. Bastinac is mentioned only because this guy can be so much more if he can get his head right and play to his utmost ability.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, About 8-12 of those games McKenzie has played he started as the sub. I remember when he debuted vs WB, he got to play for all of 5 minutes.

That is true, but there is also a reason he played sub.

It's because Scott didn't want him playing a full game and until that changes he needs to either do more in the VFL or show more when he gets his chance. (and im not just talking about a special kick or there - that won't carry him forever)

I know McMahon has had injury and illness related issues, but he needs to drop a lot of weight over the pre-season and work hard on his agility and speed in the first 10-15m, even at the expense of overall endurance. He needs to be in a better physical position to play on small forwards who are very agile and very quick off the mark.

He looked in pretty good nick at the B&F. I think (hope) he will surprise a few people here next year.

He looked in pretty good nick at the B&F. I think (hope) he will surprise a few people here next year.

I like Loose, but he can't afford to be loose. :stern look

He is a great bloke, has a good defender mindset, I hope he bounces back like Spud did last year.

Getting a liitle bit ahead of things here, but there could be some serous list changes this time next year.

When you think about players on one year deals like Spud, Grima and Jacobs, vets like Harvey and Petrie (not including Waite or Dal and they have another two year) plus you add the numerous players who are at the xroads Harper, McMahon, Daw, Currie, McKenzie and Tarrant. And if they did cut Dumont....

Agree with all of this. Events of the past couple of weeks mean that the cards have fallen Jacobs' way, so he has a great opportunity to secure his future with the club. I've been one of the skeptics, but perhaps his apparent lack of quality (IMO) is due to the fact that he has been played out of position. In that case, the opportunity that has arisen may well mean he becomes the player that the club was so keen to get.

Agree with all of this. Events of the past couple of weeks mean that the cards have fallen Jacobs' way, so he has a great opportunity to secure his future with the club. I've been one of the skeptics, but perhaps his apparent lack of quality (IMO) is due to the fact that he has been played out of position. In that case, the opportunity that has arisen may well mean he becomes the player that the club was so keen to get.
He'll step up. I think a strong pre-season + opportunity = confidence = bang.

Has my complete faith

Given we saw videos last preseason of McMahon working his backside off in Utah to get into shape, and given that didn't seem to work for him, it's extremely doubtful whether he can ever get back to AFL ready body shape IMO.

Given we saw videos last preseason of McMahon working his backside off in Utah to get into shape, and given that didn't seem to work for him, it's extremely doubtful whether he can ever get back to AFL ready body shape IMO.

I wouldn't underestimate the body shape affect of steroids, when used ongoing to quell inflammation and other such symptoms of a serious medical condition. They turn average Joe Blows into beach balls. He'll be in better shape with another preseason, whether that's enough to earn a recall or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back